• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

question for guys with mx style helmets

I use Pro-Grip with light sensitive lens. They work great, very comfortable. They claim 4 seconds from full dark to clear. I never notice the change they work so fast!

bottlerocket said:
apexer said:
Bought a set of Scott's last year, light sensitive lens. Changes with the amount of light atomaticly.
how well do they work for you?

I have Scott 89XI with the light sensitive lense and they work great, but I always carry a set of spare clear goggles with a standard strap just incase my lense or quick straps get damaged.

goggles

Whats everbody wear under there helmet, you guys wearing a balclava? Or something differant, cuz that is what Im wearing...I cant seem to keep my forehead and the sides of my face warm.. seems like alot of air coming in, I was out yesterday and it was -2 and going into the wind -bout 15mph man i couldnt take it had to get down behind the windshield- I have the 509 goggles... just curious as what people wear under there helmet to stay warm... thanks guys

I always buy the OTG goggles (over the glasses) since I wear glasses but almost always wear contacts when I snowmobile. But just in case, I want to be able to use my glasses if I have to.

I use yellow lenses all the time, I like them at night too. Helps block the light from on-coming traffic and just seems to keep everything clearer, for me at least.

I bought a pair of the Haber vision polarized goggles, with the silly fan thing that goes in the goggles. The door for the battery wouldn't stay on after I removed it the very first time. Had to glue it on. Then I left the switch on, and drained the battery. So i never got to use it lol But I'm not real fond of polarized goggles, makes everything look goofy and seems to give too much glare or something.

Also, to make the whole system warmer, I use Gorilla tape (cause its black and stiffer) and tape it all the way the goggles, about 1 inch, making the whole goggle bigger blocking more wind. Works very well.

I have two HJC MX style helmets, I will never go back. I have three sets of goggels, a clear set I never use and two sets of yellows. Day or night I run yellow. Quick straps are a nice addition to this set up. I bought a Under Armor balcalva and it is NICE!!! Not to cold, not to hot and it wicks moisture away like a champ.

Re: goggles

bitchnblue09 said:
Whats everbody wear under there helmet, you guys wearing a balclava? Or something differant, cuz that is what Im wearing...I cant seem to keep my forehead and the sides of my face warm.. seems like alot of air coming in, I was out yesterday and it was -2 and going into the wind -bout 15mph man i couldnt take it had to get down behind the windshield- I have the 509 goggles... just curious as what people wear under there helmet to stay warm... thanks guys

I use a Thor force helmet with Oakley crowbar"s or Smith Intake, just a Balclava and no breath box. I use the Smith when it is really cold as they have a face mask atached to them and you can close the vents on them. rode last year in the UP in -9 more than once and was fine. and then I had a rev with no windshield.

to stay warm use a good breath box that covers gaps, a $20 or more baclava such as a klim or arctiva the cheaper ones dont offer much wind protection. and on the cold, cold days i use a neoprene mask under baclava such as a no fog mask,

is warmer than a fullface helmet if set up right.

For those of you who have an F4, how does the breathbox that comes with the helmet work, as far as how it fits inside the helmet? I just bought one this year, and it seems to me the breathbox just kinda slides into the helmet? I noticed a hole on both sides of the breathbox, does that snap into somewhere?

BigTime said:
For those of you who have an F4, how does the breathbox that comes with the helmet work, as far as how it fits inside the helmet? I just bought one this year, and it seems to me the breathbox just kinda slides into the helmet? I noticed a hole on both sides of the breathbox, does that snap into somewhere?

No issues with my F4 breathbox, stays put. As far as wind leaks, I had some googles the first year I went to a MX style helmet that had a very small foam footprint and would leak air. I run the 89XI Scott goggles for that reason, the foam is very large and covers up everything, I run a Klim Covert balaclava and a thin arctiva fleece neck warmer and have no complaints.

509 Aviators during the day and clear goggles at night. Frost bite can be an issue with MX style helmets trail riding even if temps are not that cold. Breath guards can help if everything fits together with no gaps.

I started using a Klim F4 helmet this year with Scott snow hustler googles, way to much air going over my eyes to the point it was drying them out after only a few miles. I have to try some other googles. Once I'm over this, I know I will like this much better setup then the modular helmet from bombardier that I have IMO(atleast until it get below 0 for temps).

I have a Fly helmet with a hjc breathbox and a pair of Oakley snowcross googles. Have never had a problem with fogging up.

Attachments

• IMG00010-20110107-2039[1].jpg
    IMG00010-20110107-2039[1].jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG00011-20110107-2040[1].jpg
    IMG00011-20110107-2040[1].jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 64
BigTime said:

The breath box slides under the cheek pads. If you un-snap them the breath box will fit in there pretty good. The holes are for the snaps to go through. I had to remove my breath box because it was making my googles ride up to high on my face. Still messing with it trying to make it work.

Back