• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question for header builders

Master of Faster

Lifetime Member
I am about to start a project of turboing an RX-1 motor that I have in a vmax-4 chassis. I'm going to have to build a custom header for it and was wondering if someone could give me a clue as to where to source the material. I have no problem with the flanges and straight tubing but don't know where to get the mandrel bends from. Thanks guys!

Master of Faster said:
I am about to start a project of turboing an RX-1 motor that I have in a vmax-4 chassis. I'm going to have to build a custom header for it and was wondering if someone could give me a clue as to where to source the material. I have no problem with the flanges and straight tubing but don't know where to get the mandrel bends from. Thanks guys!

Try Burns or SPD, try and use 321, expensive but best for turbo application.

Ted.

I say thinner the better (to a point obviously), higher quality stainless but thinner material, less heat soak into a thinner header and more thermal efficiency passed onto the turbo!

Sorry Dude I will have to disagree with ya on that one.

The link I listed for the .109 wall 304 mandrel bend is there best selling bend for turbo kit builders, they sell a wack of it. A lot of builders are even going thicker. A 321 16 gauge header will not last under boost it just is not strong enough. Not only that 321 16 gauge is hard to work with. There are a few forums out their with some incredibly talented fabricators building this stuff, they know what they are doing.

a key thing that seems to affect the wall thickness is whether or not you support the turbo, mine has a hanger so i dont need to be running freaking 1/8" wall or whatever people are working with. those headers must weight a TON!!!

i have 16gauge 304.. if i did it again i would go slightly thicker, but i got it all through columbia river like in the link... good prices and nice product.

Boyko said:

The link I listed for the .109 wall 304 mandrel bend is there best selling bend for turbo kit builders, they sell a wack of it. A lot of builders are even going thicker. A 321 16 gauge header will not last under boost it just is not strong enough. Not only that 321 16 gauge is hard to work with. There are a few forums out their with some incredibly talented fabricators building this stuff, they know what they are doing.

well I guess I should have asked what the sleds primary use is! since that would dictate all out performance or long term reliability, that would be a huge diffrence in how the header was designed in my book.

My impulse header on my apex is 321 3/16", I think paul knows what he's doing. Theres plenty of people that will back up the quality of his headers.

and just cause they sell a "wack" of it doesnt make it better! mcdonalds sells billions of hamburgers as well! cheaper is the key word here!

mattymac said:
Boyko said:

well I guess I should have asked what the sleds primary use is! since that would dictate all out performance or long term reliability, that would be a huge diffrence in how the header was designed in my book.

My impulse header on my apex is 321 3/16", I think paul knows what he's doing. Theres plenty of people that will back up the quality of his headers.

and just cause they sell a "wack" of it doesnt make it better! mcdonalds sells billions of hamburgers as well! cheaper is the key word here!

I have never seen one of Pauls headers up close but I bet it is Heavy. 3/16 is 0.187 wall. That is Fat and what ya want. A cast manifold is very thick as well. Why are you saying to use thin materal than? Are you sure it is 321? I wonder were he gets it from.

The SCH10 bend I listed is a very good price (18.50) for what you are getting. It is a good quality piece and this is a good company to deal with. You will have a hard time finding any one that can come close to this price, I have looked and this is the only place I will order from. If you find a better deal please let me know.

A 16 gauge 321 bend from Burns Stainless with a skinny 0.065 wall is about 60.00

I talked to Paul about making me a apex header like he did for RX1M5 converiosn, he said its 321, no idea on thicknest.

pauls header is heavy, but like I stated before, we dont know what the intended use for his sled is gunna be!

Paul makes his 321 3/16" headers for mtn sleds that see alot of vibrations, countless heat cycles, and get beat on day in and day out thats why he uses high grade and yes in these applications it is whats needed!

pauls kits are the best money can buy IMO, they are costly but you get what you pay for!

Now for a drag sled (which the vmax in his sig is listed as) could benifit from a thinner header just for heat soak mainly, SOP diffrence probably not, on the dyno I would say probably a performance diffrence. Less material to have to heat up, more thermal energy transfered to the turbo itself thus making better performance. but like I said how much is a diffrent story.

scroll down to header specs

http://www.impulseturbo.com/nytroturbo.html

mattymac said:
Boyko said:

are you sure its really 3/16 thickness on your header.... that is... extremely thick.

Back