• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question on changing exhaust donuts...

Groomerdriver

TY 4 Stroke Master
When you change the donuts, does the track have to be removed, or just the skid?

Also, when you block off the rear exhaust, how long should it take for the engine to start running rough? I understand this is the way to check if your donuts are bad. Mine were changed at 3500 miles and I think they're bad again.

Yup just what he said...Neither have to come off. There's a detailed instructions on here with pics that made it much easier to do....

If your DONUTS are in good shape it should stall the moment you plug your exhaust good and tight...meaning real quick! if it tends to keep running with it fully plugged listen under the gas tank area for exhaust leaks.

If your not changing your HEADERS as mentioned earlier you don't have to remove suspension nor track.

apltx08 said:
If your DONUTS are in good shape it should stall the moment you plug your exhaust good and tight...meaning real quick! if it tends to keep running with it fully plugged listen under the gas tank area for exhaust leaks.

If your not changing your HEADERS as mentioned earlier you don't have to remove suspension nor track.

Mine must be bad AGAIN!!...it doesn't stall and I can hear exhaust noise from underneath...thank God for the YES warranty

How many miles ? I Did mine at 3,800 and they were perfect I pulled the skid out just to check every thing but it dosnt have to come out .steve

deerhunter1 said:
How many miles ? I Did mine at 3,800 and they were perfect I pulled the skid out just to check every thing but it doesnt have to come out .steve

3600 miles for the first time and now 3700 miles for the second time. And NO, it will not be covered under warranty. 1st time the dealer did it Yamaha said it wasn't covered and the dealer ate the cost (they told me Yamaha covered it).

I am getting freakin' sick and tired of people on this site saying how bullet proof these sleds are. I've had more things go wrong on this sled than the 14 other sleds I've owned COMBINED!

TORS problem & recall
Jackshaft recall
Bad suspension shock
Main drive bearing (cut trip short)
Jackshaft bearing
Main bearing again
Numerous idler wheels
Clutch rebuild @ 3000 miles!!!!
Exhaust donuts
Stator (left me stranded)
Exhaust donuts
5 belts in 7300 miles
There's more but I'm so PO'd right now I can't think straight.

This is the first sled I've ever owned that forced me to cut a trip short. Also the first sled to leave me stranded on the trail.

Sure the engine will last 200 million miles but the rest of the sled is JUNK!

Bring it on blue boys if you want to get into a pissing contest. I am DONE with Yamaha's! :die #$%&* :o|

:bash: J/K Man, that sucks, sounds like you are having real bad luck with that sled. Might be worth your while to just dump it and get something else. Nothing against Yamaha, but I may have the same feelings right now if I were you. Hope you come back to blue, but if not, good luck.

I just got done replacing my donuts and it really was a piece of cake. 10000 miles on the sled, and they looked almost new. The slip joint in the pipe was very loose though. When I went to pull the muffler back to get the donuts out, the exhaust completely seperated at the slip joint. I was able to tighten it up when I put it back together. The whole job took me about 3 hours to do by myself.

Like an idiot, I didn't fire the sled up until after I put the tank and seat back on. There's quite a bit of exhaust coming out from the back of the engine. On my last ride, I had noticed a lot of vapor coming out of the hole for the steering column whenever I shut off the sled. I'm now wondering if I have a leak someplace else, but I can't see anything because I already put everything back together. I guess Ill be taking back apart tomorrow.

Attachments

• exhaust donuts.JPG
    exhaust donuts.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 66

Back