• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question on my 05' rx-1?

blue05rx1

Veteran
Hey everyone. Just picked up my new sled yesterday.(05' Blue Rx-1 ER) It looks great, but had a comment on the new rear suspension and a question on summer storage. During delivery the mechanic said with this new mono shock there isn't any zerk fittings to grease it! He didn't know too much about it being new and it's so early, but he thought it had to be taken out and apart every year to grease. That sounds like a pain or some unexpected service work at the dealer every year? Any comments/thoughs?
Also as far as summer storage goes, I've filled the tank half full, and am going to stabalize/condition it, run it a little but, then drain the carbs and let it sit. When the season comes I'll be able to add some fresh gas as well. I know I shouldn't start it between now and winter for buddy's to hear, because it probably isn't the best for the new motor and I'd have to drain the carbs again. Sound like the right plan?
THNANKS everyone. ;)!
Jim

Congrats on the new baby :4STroke:
I like your idea on the storage method but as far as the rear skid goes I can't believe Yamaha would do something like that. My guess is that they used sealed bearings or there really are zerks there somewhere and the mechanic just didn't see them. Have you looked in the manual yet to see what it says about maintenance for the rear skid?

Great to hear you got your new ride! Still waiting here. What do you think of filling the tank all the way to avoid any condensation forming on the inside of the tank? Thats what I do and i've never had any water issues.
Godd luck w/ the new sled ;)!

I did look up in the manual, under suspension maintenance, under lubrication. It says to grease a few points near the front skis, then it shows two rear suspensions. Neither are the mono shock. I beleive it's the warrior and the mountain suspension. Then it says "Warning, be sure to have a yamaha dealer lubricate the front and rear suspensions." I looked at the sled and couldn't see any zerks. So this rear suspenions is still a mystery to me.
As far as filling the tank up full, I have the sled in an insulated building where there's no extreme highs/low temperatures. The tank is plastic so I can't see where much condensation would form in my situation. I could be wrong.
Jim

I dont like the sound of this grease thing. I would never pay a dealer to pull out the rear skid just to grease it. But I dont want to pull it out my self just to grease it ether. If this is the truth, I hope YAMAHA maid this one to come out easier. Looks like this could be my first complaint on my new RX-1...

If you were to get condensation in the gas tank, it would happen regardless of tank material. Good idea to fill it up, however, I would put stabilizer in first, then fill it, this way it will mix the stabilizer.

Back