• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Questions for CR

Yamaha Sled Talk Blog said:
Sorry guys, didn't spot this post until this am. I am on the road doing a whirlwind tour of three dealer meetings in three days with demo rides and six hour hauls in between... I know some of the answers to the proposed questions but not all, will need to do some research. Will work up a response for as many as I can, likely be next week... appreciate all the feedback I'm reading on TY. For the record, our dealers who are now riding the new sleds and hearing the complete tech background from our staff are stoked, pricing is a struggle but the sales programs we are announcing is really helping to take the bite out. If you are at all serious about making a purchase, you should be talking to your dealer, as well as your pals on TY ;-)
Thanks for the post (challenge) Dane... cheers cr :exc: :exc: :exc:

Thanks Chris.

Chris has some great Videos up on Youtube. Talk about a great way to connect to your Customers. Other than Greg Spaulding (Arctic Cat)from like 8 years ago when the Firecat came out I can't remember or don't know of anyone from any factory that has been this accessible.

They really are listening. The sled has 5% more power.

Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyoACWXo ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfGwwvi ... re=channel

Did Chris just say that the new Apex is for sale under $10K at all the dealers. :Rockon: :Rockon: I am in for that price. JK... :drink:

As more ride reports get posted it appearsthat Yamaha has buiklt a really great sled. Unfortunaotely for me the the one thing missinng has not yet been announced, the "sales program" that CR refers to. Maybe there is still hope.
Thanks again Chris for any info.

Okay guys, I posted as many answers as I could and added a couple of items that weren't prompted. I am waiting to confirm a couple of the queries and will update shortly... one I forgot to address was the request for a black XTX, too late for this year, maybe you will find a dealer who would be willing to swap some plastic with another model (just a thought)

cheers cr

:exc:

Yamaha Sled Talk Blog said:
Okay guys, I posted as many answers as I could and added a couple of items that weren't prompted. I am waiting to confirm a couple of the queries and will update shortly... one I forgot to address was the request for a black XTX, too late for this year, maybe you will find a dealer who would be willing to swap some plastic with another model (just a thought)

cheers cr

:exc:

So, if hp is not to be advertised how do you know what you are buying? I'm a little confused on that statement here Chris. Can you elaborate? How do you know how much hp a unit has?

I think your point is one of the main reasons YMC has decided not to publish HP. You will make a purchase decision based on a published HP number in a brochure!!
Here's a hypothetical, manufacturer A publishes a number based on a heat soaked engine after several full dyno runs and comes up with lets say a 100hp. Manufacturer B takes a similar model (different brand) and gets a bigger number with a cold engine say 101 but publishes a 102, now brand A is junk. Enter the aftemarket guy with a DynoOmite and a fire extinguisher, he takes brand C and publishes 105 now A and B are junk. It's just like the dry weight / wet weight / helium in the tires weight... if we start to look good the other guys numbers will get embellished and who can really prove them wrong?
I believe our engineers are tired of the smoke and mirrors. There is a secondary concern that it is risky if we publish a number and someone decides to attack us because theirs has less.
I wouldn't be surprised if we will have to stop rounding off displacement numbers next. 421 = 450 or in the case of one OE, 599cc = 500,

Sorry for the long response. The new Apex has more power (torque plus HP) but if that's your only need in a sled, you're best advised to keep what you have and buy a propane turbo and some nitrous to get you rolling but be forewarned, there will always be someone faster...BTW this is my own interpretation and opinion. cheers cr

Perfect reply Chris.
I have my sales guys always under rate the power #'s we make. I don't want somebody dynoing one then suing me because we said they'd pick up 150HP and they saw 142HP and lord knows those clowns are out there.
I rode a bunch of the 2011's.. it makes more power for sure. But peak power #'s aren't always the key. Remember the F7's with 140 HP and the RX-1 with 145 (and a boatload more weight). My RX-1 stomped every F7 I came across. On paper I should have gotten my butt spanked pretty bad. We don't live on paper though and it's how the RX-1 applied the power it had that was the key. Like you said, that "170" HP turbo Cat gets taken down by "130" HP Nytros all day long. Which one is junk? ;)

Don't all snowmobile manf's have to use the same emission standards and certification standards pretaining to the country they are being sold in? Aren't weights and horsepower figures included for homologation purposes? I am thinking organizations like the EPA and SAE would put everyone on the same playing field so to speak.

SledFreak said:
radta7 said:
morrisond said:
Chris,

In your testing, what is faster on top end the 128 or 144?

seconded!

I already asked this in his blog, so I hope he responds..

Sooooooo, Which model is faster to 100? Which one has a higher top speed SE or XTX?

Thanks!

RD

Cris.............(sorry but alittle off topic of this thread) -- what is your opinion of the Yamcharger that was made by G-Force ? And how do you like yours ? ---sorry again guys for going OFF topic..but i saw that Chris was watching this thread...........( this can be moved if it is a problem)...

I agree on the published HP numbers also, who REALLY cares except those who like to race paper numbers at a bar instead of on the trail. We all know the "130hp class" Nytro isn't 130hp and now the "150hp class" isn't 150 either. Now if only the "80hp class" could have that kind of under rating or got a "100-110hp class" Big Brother...........

Hey Muskie, actually you are not off topic, it was questions for me..
I am really liking my Yamcharger, the clutching is spot on and I am feeling the love now that the engine is getting broken in... I have been leading a bunch of dealer test rides with it this week and had a chance to play on some lakes, figure I have 10 to 15 kph on the stock motor up top and real nice mid to upper roll-on response. I am getting some intermittent TORS which has me thinking but have not opened the hood to check adjustment and routing, so far that's the only glitch and have not attributed it to anything in particular. Have let a few friends and associates pull the trigger, thumbs up all around.

Short answer... :-o :-o :-o

cheers cr

Back