• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick Question-----Help on Belt Slipping

renegadeoffunk

Veteran
Received advice to sand clutches with 220 grit sandpaper.

Now another person strongly reccomends not doing it??

Who am I to believe???

Don't do it. If your belt is slipping then you need to either clean your clutches (I think with brake cleaner but not sure someone else will probably post with proper cleaner) or clutch your sled to grab belt harder but not too hard or your belt will advance into the secondary too fast and drastically drop your rpms. So if you don't know how to clutch your sled find someone in your area who is good at it not only will your belt not slip but your performance gains will be more than satisfactory. You could also go to a Dayco ultimax 3 belt which is softer but then it has a possibility of not backshifting properly, because it is too soft.

I would recommend having someone clutch it the other ideas are not recommended by me but things I have heard of others doing.

Clean with Acetone. If rubber is really built up on sheeves, use a green scotchbright pad. Also scrub the sides of the belt in hot soapy water with a bristle brush to remove mold release from manufacturing.

renegadeoffunk said:

Who am I to believe???

Lets try to be smart about this.

First, don't sand your clutch. This only masks problems as the belt will smooth it out and the problem will come back later, so all this does is accelerate the wear against the sheaves.

Second, before messing with ANYTHING, you need to determine the CAUSE for the slippage. Are you getting any SNOW or WATER into your clutches? Is your belt worn beyond specifications? Have your clutches been modified or adjusted in any way in the past? Is there anything BROKEN or WORN on your clutches, like secondary shoes, helix, any bushings (including the ones on your primary weights), SPRINGS (both primary and secondary), etc.?

Third, is there any OIL, GREASE, or other contaminants on your clutches or belt? If there is, clean it off and try to find out where it is coming from.

You do NOT want to be masking some problem by making random adjustments. You need to correct the cause.

LazyBastard said:
renegadeoffunk said:

Who am I to believe???

Lets try to be smart about this.

First, don't sand your clutch. This only masks problems as the belt will smooth it out and the problem will come back later, so all this does is accelerate the wear against the sheaves.

Second, before messing with ANYTHING, you need to determine the CAUSE for the slippage. Are you getting any SNOW or WATER into your clutches? Is your belt worn beyond specifications? Have your clutches been modified or adjusted in any way in the past? Is there anything BROKEN or WORN on your clutches, like secondary shoes, helix, any bushings (including the ones on your primary weights), SPRINGS (both primary and secondary), etc.?

Third, is there any OIL, GREASE, or other contaminants on your clutches or belt? If there is, clean it off and try to find out where it is coming from.

You do NOT want to be masking some problem by making random adjustments. You need to correct the cause.

probably the best piece of advice i have ever seen posted! :rocks:

thanks for the replys guys. I'll never do that again.

Should have posted my question here before taking one persons advice. I did get alot of positive response saying that I did not make a huge boo boo!! Ran searches here and every where and there are people that swear by it. So who knows. My search results led me to no conclusive evidence one way or the other......... If I start blowing belts then I will know, but I doubt it.

live and learn

Back