• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quiet pad track studding template

fourbarrel

Building a collection one sled at a time
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I have been fighting an issue with my studded '19 SRX chewing up idlers. I used a Woodys 137" 2.86 pitch template to do the track and figured I had the right one, but just recently I see specific templates for the quiet pad tracks with those goofy pads on them. How many of you all used the generic 137 template to do your tracks vs one for the quiet pad track?

IMO, what chews up idlers is idler running over stud heads that are too much above track plane. IMO, the key is to get stud head as flush to track as possible. That won't shock the idler as it rolls over stud head.
I actually countersink my studs so head is absolutely flush to track surface. Runs quiet and smooth. Idlers last as long as if there are no studs.

I should have included into my original post that the template I used had studs being installed into the quiet pads, which I'm pretty sure is where my issues stems from. I've always pulled the studs into the track as much as possible to avoid this issue. My older sleds are both studded and I've never had this problem with them. But neither have this style of track either.

IMO, pretty tough to pull them into track far enough to really get head flush (or even a bit countersunk) without actually cutting a countersink. Some guys use a vibrating saw (like drywall guys use) to remove quiet pad where stud head will be.
I made a countersink tool (15/16" hole saw with a pilot and with a stop in it) that cuts an exact 15/16" round circle (exact dia of my Woodys studs). I then remove the quiet pad/rubber inside circle.

JT Products makes these 5.5” idler wheels to replace the oem thin plastic junk. We use the larger 6304rs bearings and have had very good luck with these. they will run on stud heads without issues.

www.jtatv.com

Attachments

• IMG_5329.png
    IMG_5329.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I wrecked way too many of the cheap oem ones before going to an alternate wheel with a rubber " tire " and figured my problem was gone. Not so much. I thought I read a thread from a few years ago about a retailer in Canada here. Is there still one available or just from US sources?

Back