• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Race fuel vs octane boost for turbo

wildbill

Extreme
I am fairly new to this board and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all have to offer. :D

I have a 03' RX-1 Mountain with a Bender Turbo. I have been running it on 50:50 mix of race fuel and pump gas. I checked into race fuel for this year and it's over $7.00/gallon (108 octane)! I have done some research and many people add toluene ($3.00-$4.00/gallon--114 octane rating) to boost the octane in cars. Is there any reason it wouldn't work in an RX-1?

I actually made up an octane booster for a Cosworth Vega I once had; a mixture of Naptha, toluene, and some other good stuff. But the boosters you buy do not raise octane like you would think. 1 or 2 points is it. Read several articles on this. Another trick was to mix premium and regular...you wind up with a higher octane than the premium. Don't ask me why, I just remember reading this stuff. I'm sure it can be found on the web somewhere with a search. But I wouldn't trust octane boosters.
The turbo guys run the race fuel, but others run the $3 gallon 100 octane stuff mixed with pump premium. Can a detonation sensor be added easily to an RX? Because for normal trail riding, I doubt you would get detonation.
But if it did ping, just shift to a lower gear... :D

LB what are you talking about, jet A? :?

I am referring to 100 Low Lead gasoline, the most popular fuel for small piston driven aircraft.

100LL works very well in sleds (if needed) beacuse it is formulated to operate at much colder temps than race fuels are.

You can buy the 100ll which is approx 104 octane from exxon or esso for approx 90 cents a liter, Used it all the time in my 670 turbo,worked very well,really nice smell!if i remember two years ago it was about 100 bucks a 50 gallon drum

You actually should be able to mix it with 87 octane gas pump gas to achieve the same effect.

The way that petrolium fuels are purified is through distillation. This is NOT a precise process, and as a result, your gasoline fuel is not pure octane.

Take note that Octane is the chemical name for the molecule which is a chain of 8 carbon atoms held together with single bonds, and 18 hydrogen atoms held to each of the carbon atoms by a single bond. Carbon atoms are capable of making a total of 4 bonds, and hydrogen 1. This molecule is written as C8H18 (where the numbers are in subscript). Gasoline (in all forms) is primarily that, but contain a mixture of everything from about C5H12 to C14H30.

Diesel is made of the same kind of hydrocarbon molecules, but with a different *average* length, I think they are C12H26 or C14H30 primarily.

The higher the average number of carbons, the higher the octane RATING. Pure octane has an octane rating of 100.

WOW! You couldn't have come up with that off of the top of your head!!! If this is the case, deisel having an octaine of 140, why don't racers that need high octaine #'s do this? Are there draw backs? Have you used this yourself, or have you seen anything run with this? It would be awesome if this worked!
SS

I ran out of gasoline for my irrigation pump once and switched it over to diesel for a bit. It was a 5.5 hp Honda, and it ran fine.

The main problem with diesel is that in its pure (unmixed) form, it is too hard to ignite in a cold engine. As I understand it, most racers run pure race fuel - pure diesel wouldn't work. If you put in, say, 20% diesel, it should work. Warmup time is greater with diesel mix, and it may be beneficial to switch to a higher temperature thermostat.

LB you sound very intelegent especially for a sledder. :) :) Are you in the chemical field or maybe a teacher? If you are a hobo come to WI and I'll put you to doing real work. :wink:

I'm curious as to how to control the diesel fuel in really cold temps. Last year in Ontario, we had a new Ram diesel that needed a good thaw after some -30* nights, they had forgotten to use the anitfreeze stuff though...How are all these things going to affect a sled?

Back