• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Race gas storage???

rxboost05

Veteran
I have 5 five gallon sealed cans of Klotz 113 oct. Now that the season is over, i was wondering if it was stored in a cool place like a cellar, would it
keep until next season or should i mix some in the vette to use it before it goes bad? Dont want to run it in the sled if there is any chance it will be bad next season.

talking to a buddy who owns a bulk gas station said to keep it sealed and it will be good for a year. for the cost of 5 gallons mix it in the vette and start fresh though.

Your correct, Cool or cold place in full metal containers not plastic. Should be kept only 6 months, but I've kept it up to 12 months but would be careful what I used it in after that long. Some fuels store better than others so that is something to consider also. The Corvette is a good place to put it for me. :flag:

If you keep it sealed it shoud be okay. If it is leaded fuel, make sure you shake it before you use it again for the lead will settle to the bottom if it sits for a long time.

weve been storing race gas for 15 years under nitrogen head pressure @3psi. That keeps the "light ends" (the stuff that goes whoosh and smells good when you first crack your barrel) in solution, if you lose your light ends vaporization is poor, EGTs are low, pistons dry because fuel blows thorugh the engine in globs instead of vapor, pistons seize at 12/1 A/F ratio..The globs of fuel dont vaporize until they hit the exhaust pipe thern all they do is cool the EGTs to fool you into thinking how safe you are running. Every time you open your can of race gas it goes whoosh, but each time you do that the whoosh becomes less pronounced, meaning the light ends are escaping like CO2 in two liter bottles of coke in the fridge, when youve opened your coke bottle enough times whats left halfway down is flat and useless like stale race gas (stale race gas is the only octane booster for unleaded pump gas that really works).
McQuillen Race Engines sells nitrogen kits for storing gas in 30 and 55 gal drums, special very low pressure N2 regulator and relief valve on bung plus it dispenses the gas like a beer keg tap. 585-768-2322. Blanket your gas this spring at it will be ready to go next winter.

Back