• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

I found the part about under hood heat build interesting and agree. My Winder has that issue for sure, even more so with added power.
Also, it is true that the meat of the sales are in the 150hp range. However that always seems to climb as the years go by. None of the guys I ride with are on 600's anymore, but 12 years ago, we all were. In 5 years from now, the meat of the sales could be in the range closer to 180-200hp
Most sled buyers want more power each time they trade up. Few ever go down in power when trading.
Mine went into limp mode on a dry road for a while, so no worries about heat hurting anything. Plus, when you stop, all that heat coming out by the steering column really warms my gloves!!

Mine went into limp mode on a dry road for a while, so no worries about heat hurting anything. Plus, when you stop, all that heat coming out by the steering column really warms my gloves!!
I like the location of the intercooler on the Doo better than our Winders. In any snow at all the Winder intercooler gets plugged up. I find myself cleaning it out often in deep snow.

I like the location of the intercooler on the Doo better than our Winders. In any snow at all the Winder intercooler gets plugged up. I find myself cleaning it out often in deep snow.
True, mine gets filled with snow just following someone, and air temp will be around 60 degrees when it's 20 out. But I honestly can't notice any power drop off...maybe a dyno would see it...

ps....following is by choice..., not necessity!!LOL

It's just the performance loss when everything gets heat soaked.
A lot of heat comes out that vent!

My buds who were all juiced up on the 900t have now realized it's not anything they would want... To me it's a sled in "no man's land".... It's a not light and playful two stroke... And not a hyper performance four-stroke....

To me... If one wanted to try boosting there 900t.... Just well setup a sidewinder stock power and it's the "known" vs who knows... As usual Doo misses the mark priesting their cash cow etec... The real motor to turbo has been and always will be that 1200... Shame

As to the srx...I think the 1" track is a backwards step for all but a few... The electronic shock is a cool idea.. And maybe... Just maybe it'll love trouble free this time..
I spoke with fox regarding the electronic shock.... From the call... That shock will perform substantially as well as the qs3..

That said...I like where I'm at right now..

Shock revalve and minor tweaks...

I'll wait for Yamaha 2020 new iron

According to my dealer Doo has *only* 52% of market share currently, down from 54%.
Cat 2nd, then Yam and Pol.

My buds who were all juiced up on the 900t have now realized it's not anything they would want... To me it's a sled in "no man's land".... It's a not light and playful two stroke... And not a hyper performance four-stroke....

To me... If one wanted to try boosting there 900t.... Just well setup a sidewinder stock power and it's the "known" vs who knows... As usual Doo misses the mark priesting their cash cow etec... The real motor to turbo has been and always will be that 1200... Shame

As to the srx...I think the 1" track is a backwards step for all but a few... The electronic shock is a cool idea.. And maybe... Just maybe it'll love trouble free this time..
I spoke with fox regarding the electronic shock.... From the call... That shock will perform substantially as well as the qs3..

That said...I like where I'm at right now..

Shock revalve and minor tweaks...

I'll wait for Yamaha 2020 new iron

So true, every time someone I know tried a 1" hacksaw track on their "trail" hypersled to pick up some speed ended up with it on the machine for only one week, the next week they had their 1.25" back on the sled it was that poor for trail use next to the 1.25". I've even been thinking going to a 1.5" myself.

I liked the electronic Ohlins on my 07 Attak and had no problems with it, but it was always thawed off in my heated garage after every ride. I know plenty that broke the wires and the sleds with manual remote dial adjust ripped the heavy cables out of them. Doo has the best remote adjust as far as reliability with the adjusters on the running board.

I can't turn the knob on my QS3r's when its all froze up and packed with snow, but I ride on 1 all the time anyway. I've tried running on 2 but too stiff for my liking so it never goes there anyway. IMO 1-2-3 is too large of a step. Should have the normal 20 or 24 clicks.

I'll stick with my LTX-LE which will hold value much better now that Yamaha limited production for 2019. I think this will be the last season with Cat anyway. IMO they'll be back producing Japan only product for 2020. I hope Doo has an actual 200-225HP four-stroke by that time, as Yamaha can't build a good lightweight chassis and suspension that rides and handles on par with Doo and Cat.

According to my dealer Doo has *only* 52% of market share currently, down from 54%.
Cat 2nd, then Yam and Pol.

Hardly.
Doo has more market then the rest of them all combined.

Sales go like this.
#1 Doo
#2 Polaris
#3 Cat
#4 Yamaha

Hardly.
Doo has more market then the rest of them all combined.

Sales go like this.
#1 Doo
#2 Polaris
#3 Cat
#4 Yamaha
I have no idea where he is getting his numbers then.
Are those North American figures or global?

I think the guys that ordered the 900t are going to be in for a rude awakening. They think with a tune they are going to run 125 MPH easily and outrun the stock Winders. Perhaps on their happy meter, but ain't even gonna be close to that on GPS.

You just know the good ones that people are demoing are ringers and pumped up on "boost steroids" around that 175 and 180 mark. The slow ones that are getting demoed will be the actual production versions. Theres no way Doo is going to let that four stroke beat their flagship 850. Saw a vid where the 900t got downright thumped by the 850, which isn't saying much as a GOOD 1200 will hang with the 850. So the hand writing is on the table per say.

To make matters worse. EVO is over at DooTalk now thumping their chest telling people how there going to get 3 and 400 HP out of them with bigger turbos, so now they think they are going to be tuned winder killers too. Too bad.

I think the 900t is going to be a decent sled, it will be better after a year or two when they bump it up to 180, its just too bad they didn't turbo the 1200. A 1200 factory turbo would have been the bees knees!

A stock 129” 850 up this way runs 121-123 mph out of the box on GPS and radar. They are claimed 165-170 hp. So you feel it’s impossible a 900T with a tune 170-180 hp will be unable to break 125 mph?

A stock 129” 850 up this way runs 121-123 mph out of the box on GPS and radar. They are claimed 165-170 hp. So you feel it’s impossible a 900T with a tune 170-180 hp will be unable to break 125 mph?
That's only 10 more HP

No way in hell any 850 runs over 120GPS.....the DOO guys keep looking at their ridiculous Speedos. GPS 116 MAYBE MAX Is all we ever seen on ICE for any stock doos.

As for the NEW Electronic shock out back...I looked real close at their cable routing at the show, they do a real nice job of routing it inside the front arm, and there is very little exposure. Im sure anything is possible where ice in skid is concerned, but its nothing like the old YAM knob that had a wire that we all broke within a few hundred miles, this one seems to be well thought out in its routing. Time will tell, but I think for the most part it will be a non issue.

I do like the idea of flipping from soft to firm often all day, where I would not normally do it manually. And I do tend to switch mine manually often, but would likely do it alot more with switch. Not any different then my new GAP map switcher, where I rarely would switch maps with phone, now I find myself moving around the HP maps often, just cause I can. More about bells and whistles then a true necessity.

Ill admit I do tend to leave my Rebound set to where I like it, so maybe the Non "R" Qs3s in fronts and rear will be on par with mine, but the CENTER shock is the real cheapie, and where my LE center shock is a ressie w/compression (3 clicks) top dog shock. While we dont need to buy a rear axle or Japan throttle anymore, we lose shock value and they just keep hiking the MSRP anyway. GRRR.

For the guys who think 150hp 4s is not needed, I beg to differ...Apex is gone now. I believe this will actually be "close" to BRPs top selling sled for 19MY. BRP does very well at market research, and It looks to me(going around from dealer to dealer with buddy) that the spring orders are piling in bigtime on 900t's. Mostly XRS versions. This is the one thing YAM/CAT always did well, offered the ONLY 4s with top shocks, so it could be pounded like a 2s and not fade away like ALL 4s doos prior.

I will tell you this is gonna hurt the 4s sales of Yam/Cat. The winder crowd will always be there for big HP(albeit a small camp of HP freaks like us here) but I can see Viper/7000 crowd all flipping over to the new "baby turbo"from BRP. And if Olivie'r has a solid 180hp(ish) "flash only" that is a solid increase on bottom utilizing his airbox tweaks and iTC tweaks, It will draw a boatload of 850 owners over to be faster, quicker and only a tad heavier. The 900ace engine's physical size(much smaller then 1200/998) has a FAR better handling characteristic due to its placement and physical height. We all were blown away how closely the 900 handling felt to our etec twins. This is where I believe the 900t will shine, power to weight & handling, and ofcourse the latest "open" ergos that are quite amazing on the G4.

Certainly will be a sled I will be watching closely, moreso for aftermarket tunes in 180-200 range. Lets face it, I love this winder with so much power on tap its truly a dream, but for 99% of the riding, 180hp with quick snap would be PLENTY by most standards. Although the Qc "super highway' riding sure is fun at 290hp..haha. Im actually really glad Im on an "off year" and not buying. First yr sleds(yes even BRP) can be a real mess, but I wish all the early adopters good luck with it. Local buddy here is buying one so I will get first hand experience, so next season is going to be a real interesting one to watch!

Dan

Back