• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

No way in hell any 850 runs over 120GPS.....the DOO guys keep looking at their ridiculous Speedos. GPS 116 MAYBE MAX Is all we ever seen on ICE for any stock doos.

As for the NEW Electronic shock out back...I looked real close at their cable routing at the show, they do a real nice job of routing it inside the front arm, and there is very little exposure. Im sure anything is possible where ice in skid is concerned, but its nothing like the old YAM knob that had a wire that we all broke within a few hundred miles, this one seems to be well thought out in its routing. Time will tell, but I think for the most part it will be a non issue.

I do like the idea of flipping from soft to firm often all day, where I would not normally do it manually. And I do tend to switch mine manually often, but would likely do it alot more with switch. Not any different then my new GAP map switcher, where I rarely would switch maps with phone, now I find myself moving around the HP maps often, just cause I can. More about bells and whistles then a true necessity.

Ill admit I do tend to leave my Rebound set to where I like it, so maybe the Non "R" Qs3s in fronts and rear will be on par with mine, but the CENTER shock is the real cheapie, and where my LE center shock is a ressie w/compression (3 clicks) top dog shock. While we dont need to buy a rear axle or Japan throttle anymore, we lose shock value and they just keep hiking the MSRP anyway. GRRR.

For the guys who think 150hp 4s is not needed, I beg to differ...Apex is gone now. I believe this will actually be "close" to BRPs top selling sled for 19MY. BRP does very well at market research, and It looks to me(going around from dealer to dealer with buddy) that the spring orders are piling in bigtime on 900t's. Mostly XRS versions. This is the one thing YAM/CAT always did well, offered the ONLY 4s with top shocks, so it could be pounded like a 2s and not fade away like ALL 4s doos prior.

I will tell you this is gonna hurt the 4s sales of Yam/Cat. The winder crowd will always be there for big HP(albeit a small camp of HP freaks like us here) but I can see Viper/7000 crowd all flipping over to the new "baby turbo"from BRP. And if Olivie'r has a solid 180hp(ish) "flash only" that is a solid increase on bottom utilizing his airbox tweaks and iTC tweaks, It will draw a boatload of 850 owners over to be faster, quicker and only a tad heavier. The 900ace engine's physical size(much smaller then 1200/998) has a FAR better handling characteristic due to its placement and physical height. We all were blown away how closely the 900 handling felt to our etec twins. This is where I believe the 900t will shine, power to weight & handling, and ofcourse the latest "open" ergos that are quite amazing on the G4.

Certainly will be a sled I will be watching closely, moreso for aftermarket tunes in 180-200 range. Lets face it, I love this winder with so much power on tap its truly a dream, but for 99% of the riding, 180hp with quick snap would be PLENTY by most standards. Although the Qc "super highway' riding sure is fun at 290hp..haha. Im actually really glad Im on an "off year" and not buying. First yr sleds(yes even BRP) can be a real mess, but I wish all the early adopters good luck with it. Local buddy here is buying one so I will get first hand experience, so next season is going to be a real interesting one to watch!

Dan
My 850 tnt last season GPS constantly at 122 mph with just a clutch weight change. Stock engine, track, suspension etc...114-116 mph on groomed railway line. Not speedo numbers, guys will continue to believe whatever they want that’s their choice but I’ve seen and proven otherwise. Hell my 2015 xrs renegade 800 with 1.5” track turned 116 mph on GPS. I’m not in any way defending what may or may not be the attainable speed of the 900T but I am against guys spreading misinformation regarding the capabibility of the 850.

Jamie please!!! Stop with your b.s. many 850 guys on dootalk crying about top speeds of slow #*$&@ crap. If you need me to copy and paste, it's very easy. Let me know. Just please don't ignore and act ignorant.

900t is going to be a hit. As long as it stays together.

You are one of the guys that said you couldn't ride the winder. And the same guy that talks up the 850 likes it the second coming. I dread the day you get off the 900t.

Couple of local young lads through my shop recently. One on an 850 and the other on a beat up 06 Apex. According to them the 850 kills it in a drag race, however if they roll into it at high speed, the Apex takes it....just.

Jamie please!!! Stop with your b.s. many 850 guys on dootalk crying about top speeds of slow #*$&@ crap. If you need me to copy and paste, it's very easy. Let me know. Just please don't ignore and act ignorant.

900t is going to be a hit. As long as it stays together.

You are one of the guys that said you couldn't ride the winder. And the same guy that talks up the 850 likes it the second coming. I dread the day you get off the 900t.
You don’t need to copy and paste anything. I’m well aware that just as many don’t mph for whatever reason and fully acknowledge that. However there are lots that do which I am also stating.

I believe it's dooable for an 8fiddy to get 120. Tnt windshield/1" lug/limiter in a couple/gear up /weight in the clutch.
Likely not gonna happen in 2000ft though sorry to say.

I believe one could do 120mph under ideal conditions. My 800 is pretty consistent 110-115 gps and that new 850 my buddy had was noticeably faster till the motor blew.

Majority consensus is the 850 is quick, not fast. No match for a stock sidewinder. Then again, there may be a few exceptions out there. Even dealer tune at the shootout was beat in a short distance by a sw.

I have a 31 mile lake at my back door which we are still riding. Rode with many doo 850’s and other 800’s clutched,piped etc and I will say many run good up to 80 or so. After that a stock Winder will walk by probably 5-8mph difference. We have 1 tuned hurricane sled in our group and he is in another zip code.

Not that I'm running out to buy a turbo but my 150hp XTX gets me to 112 on GPS. I'm quite happy with that considering my Bulk and how much wind I block. I think the 900 turbo combined with Ski-Doo's awesome suspension will make a great sled. I love the fact that I could buy a 900 turbo touring gen4 for 14,000 Canadian or 6,000 less then the Yamaha SW or a 1,000 less then the Viper. Now Cat did have a 9,000 crosstour which would be the ultimate touring sled but they dropped it and of course because Yamaha depends on Cat for models so did Yamaha. So Ski-Doo has the only high peformance touring sled out there. Something Cat did with the 1,000 triple Pantera, my favorite touring sled of all time dropped in 2001 after a 4 year run, replaced with an 800 twin! Later with the turbo twin cat 9,000 Cat did it again, it was slow and needed a pile of work to get it past 105 mph. Yamaha has never done a performance touring sled or I would have bought one instead of my Apex. I think as a touring sled the 900 turbo will be a winner! Good for them! I've seen what the 1200 Doo does so if this has more power and is faster then that, then that's hyper sled territory. Ever the stock turbo 998 is not much faster, considering 50 more hp, because you can keep throwing hp at the wall (wind) but past 100 mph, hp must increase exponentially to increase speed!

I'll add all speeds on trail not ice!

I own both a sidewinder and a 850 etc , last season on bear ice with a 40-50mph tail wind the best speed we seen on the clutched 850 was 120 mph on the zumo gps .the sidewinder with powertrail went 141 gps , buddies completely stock sidewinder went 128mph , the 850 etec is not in the same league , nor will be the new 900t , the only way I would even think about switching from my winder is skidoo needs to offer something very close to the winder which I wouldn't hold my breath on that ,

I have a 31 mile lake at my back door which we are still riding. Rode with many doo 850’s and other 800’s clutched,piped etc and I will say many run good up to 80 or so. After that a stock Winder will walk by probably 5-8mph difference. We have 1 tuned hurricane sled in our group and he is in another zip code.
My buddy has a SW with powertrail and it’s absolutely insane on another level insane. Never ever ridden something as fast period. It’s just nuts! My 146” long 850 vs his 137” is maybe a 200’ race before the SW starts putting bus lengths on. We rolled on once on a long river a few weeks back at maybe 80 mph I started counting in my head when I pinned it. By 6 he was so far gone it was just crazy!

I have a lot to say about all this so i will.
SkiDoo could have easily got their 1200 to 150 hp with 3 injectors, but there was NO way they could have their own 4-S beat their own 2-s. Especially the way they've been boasting for years 2-strokes are better.
That's why they got their 850 to 170 THEN came out with a 150 hp 4-stroke just as i've been saying for years.

I have a lot to say about all this so i will.
SkiDoo could have easily got their 1200 to 150 hp with 3 injectors, but there was NO way they could have their own 4-S beat their own 2-s. Especially the way they've been boasting for years 2-strokes are better.
That's why they got their 850 to 170 THEN came out with a 150 hp 4-stroke just as i've been saying for years.
Exactly, an engine with 1170cc is capable of 150hp. If it had the same HP per cc as a Nytro it would have 150+

As of now, this 900T is at the top of my list for a future purchase. Depending on Yamaha's future & if they cover my warranty claim.
My 850 bud spring ordered one so i will get some good seat time on it.
I've said it MANY times before, 2 years ago i wanted a 150 hpish 4-stroke in a newer chassis. The Sidewinder was all that fit the bill.
It fit it VERY well & i hope i'm not addicted, but i still have a blast on my 150 hp Apex & i can hang with anybody in the trails on it.

Back