• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

I think ski-doo hit the bullseye with the 900t. Not everyone wants the fastest sled build.

The fact that Skidoo has a very good 850, 600r 600ace and now a turbo powerplant. They have things quite covered.

Yes, a 900t can be tuned to keep up. But to what level? And when does it start to sacrifice durability & confidence?
It just sucks that the loyal ski-doo followers will need to keep following the Yamaha's 998t.

My 850 tnt last season GPS constantly at 122 mph with just a clutch weight change. Stock engine, track, suspension etc...114-116 mph on groomed railway line. Not speedo numbers, guys will continue to believe whatever they want that’s their choice but I’ve seen and proven otherwise. Hell my 2015 xrs renegade 800 with 1.5” track turned 116 mph on GPS. I’m not in any way defending what may or may not be the attainable speed of the 900T but I am against guys spreading misinformation regarding the capabibility of the 850.

Jamie, i believe all you say & you are not far off in your statements. BUT pound for pound & set up reasonably equal, there is no way the 850 is in the same ballpark as the 'Winder. I put 100 miles on an 850 one day & was impressed until i got back on my 'Winder.
Studding, set-up, transfer, track all make a difference. I ran multiple TRAIL set-up 850's & on any roll past 30ish, the 'Winder walked away.
At a 40mph stab, it was 10 to 15 sled lengths ahead before 100. That's a SMATHERIN'! (i just made up that word)
My Apex was side by side with 850 & inching ahead for long pulls although he outweighs me by 90 pounds.

I know, and like, the capability of the 850, I just don't want a 2-stroke. I Doo love all the SkiDoo options & accessories, that's why this 900T has my attention...

I think ski-doo hit the bullseye with the 900t. Not everyone wants the fastest sled build.

The fact that Skidoo has a very good 850, 600r 600ace and now a turbo powerplant. They have things quite covered.

Yes, a 900t can be tuned to keep up. But to what level? And when does it start to sacrifice durability & confidence?
It just sucks that the loyal ski-doo followers will need to keep following the Yamaha's 998t.

Maybe a small boost & some clutching & it will be right there with the 800 class which is all i need.

Jamie, i believe all you say & you are not far off in your statements. BUT pound for pound & set up reasonably equal, there is no way the 850 is in the same ballpark as the 'Winder. I put 100 miles on an 850 one day & was impressed until i got back on my 'Winder.
Studding, set-up, transfer, track all make a difference. I ran multiple TRAIL set-up 850's & on any roll past 30ish, the 'Winder walked away.
At a 40mph stab, it was 10 to 15 sled lengths ahead before 100. That's a SMATHERIN'! (i just made up that word)
My Apex was side by side with 850 & inching ahead for long pulls although he outweighs me by 90 pounds.

I know, and like, the capability of the 850, I just don't want a 2-stroke. I Doo love all the SkiDoo options & accessories, that's why this 900T has my attention...

I don't think Jamie is comparing the 850 to the SW..:dunno: He knows they are not as fast.. I believe he is just saying that it will be possible to run true speeds in the low to mid 120's with a tuned 900T.. Time will tell...:)

I think the 900T will be a really fun sled to drive.
They are gonna experience some problems as we whit our money pit:cool:

I don't think Jamie is comparing the 850 to the SW..:dunno: He knows they are not as fast.. I believe he is just saying that it will be possible to run true speeds in the low to mid 120's with a tuned 900T.. Time will tell...:)

Agreed.
I think ALL the 800 class sleds are fast. Just not Sidewinder fast.
Me & bud were just talking how often we can keep the throttle pinned on trails that we ride 99% of the time. Not often; SAFELY!
One nasty bump at 100 & you could be off the sled as i witnessed this year. The guy broke 7 ribs, scapula & punctured lung & he was only going 60ish.

I guess i'm speaking REALITY.
Remove the emotions, remove the fact you have a "Yellow Hornet" tattooed on your left buttocks & realize the 'Winder is top speed king.
That doesn't make it better or even "faster".
Hell i can admit that DOO may be my next purchase.
Hell i can admit the flaws in my 'Winder & the ones in my 19,000 mile Apex.

I'll be 53 on my next sled. Eventually i have to grow up.
I'll be looking at this 900T rear suspension, the belt life & gas mileage when off the throttle.

Correct! There is no way no how an 850 is running with a mod winder ever. I’ve had some excellent races with stock ones!

Did anybody pick up the article stating that the heavier sleds seem to be best for long rides?
Something us guys have been saying for years. Heavier is not always a bad thing...

While reading the article i popped in on the Polaris articles.
Polaris claims the new 850 PATRIOT motor will be the MOST powerful, quickest spooling, longest lasting 2-stroke ever!

In the lightest chassis, this may be ahead of the 850 DOO & maybe up the Sidewinders' derriere...

No sled is perfect, period. I found this year my sidewinder loves the u.p. of Michigan vs the tight technical trails in Wisconsin. I'm positive weight of sled & my ability to handle is overwhelming.
Then you go and buy a $16k 900t to find it's lacking power and has to be tuned. Thats when the fun begins. Maybe other issues will show themselves. maybe it handles better....but maybe it don't. Haha.

For me and how I like to ride. The Sidewinder is a damn nice piece.

It's funny though, I know some skidoo guys are sick over the fact they don't have a dominant sled package to compare. Trust me. 10yrs over on dootalk.

A stock 900t will not deliver the performance of a Winder. Its down on power from 850 and weights more. That's that. 125mph???? Haha.....try 100mph. Which is fine....for some.

Happy Easter.......lol!

This 900 Turbo is a sled Doo created to convince the 2 stroke die hards that Turbos are the future.
The writing is on the wall.
My buddy's riding non-boosted sleds can only take limited pummeling before they throw in the towel.

While reading the article i popped in on the Polaris articles.
Polaris claims the new 850 PATRIOT motor will be the MOST powerful, quickest spooling, longest lasting 2-stroke ever!

In the lightest chassis, this may be ahead of the 850 DOO & maybe up the Sidewinders' derriere...

The new Polaris 850, an acclaimed 177 hp.
Not bad at all.
One of the manufacturers will have to match or outdo the winder stock hp numbers in the future. It’s just the way it has always been.

The new Polaris 850, an acclaimed 177 hp.
Not bad at all.
One of the manufacturers will have to match or outdo the winder stock hp numbers in the future. It’s just the way it has always been.

It's not a fair comparison 2s vs 4s especially a turbo.

Back