• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

Simply sharing information owning both Apex and 900t trying to answer questions as they come up. As far as throttle response of 900t it depends what mode of the 3 are clicked on. Sport mode get up and goes maybe too hot for some Standard mode is very even spool up Eco is tame prolly tops out at 70mph good for loading and unloading avoids track spin. Only time I saw lag was on a demo 900t xrs in Eco I whacked the throttle from dead stop and nothing happened then the engine surged up. I didn’t like that but didn’t think ECO performance mattered much unless I was conserving gas. The 900t Enduro I bought doesn’t surge or lag in any of the 3 power modes but I do acknowledge there maybe some 900t that have throttle lag. I think this is why there are very different opinions from riders. At first I thought it was a matter of adjusting to 900t response now I think there may be some lag but not on all 900ts have the condition. I was lucky enough to ride several 900t models before I bought so throttle lag may have been present in Eco on 1 the other 2 did not have the condition. I hope this helps clarify as I saw it again just sharing info that may interest others since subject of OP in the beginning of the thread. Many off ramps in this thread so happy to return on topic.

So your saying the 900t is as snappy as your Apex?
:crap:

Non turbo sleds of similar horsepower will always be more responsive, assuming the clutching is even fairly close. Smaller turbos still have some degree of lag.
I’m always amazed when I jump on the old SRX, I need to use caution because the response is almost dangerous in comparison.

Non turbo sleds of similar horsepower will always be more responsive, assuming the clutching is even fairly close. Smaller turbos still have some degree of lag.
I’m always amazed when I jump on the old SRX, I need to use caution because the response is almost dangerous in comparison.
I don't agree with this.
The only time a Winder has any amount of lag is taking off from a standing start, as their is no boost yet, and the engine has a lower compression ratio compared to a NA engine.
Any other time the Winder has incredible throttle response, as there is always boost waiting right behind the individual throttle butterflies located right close to the head.
Aside from the standing start response, I rank it as good as any other sled I've ever driven.
I don't know if Yamaha has a patent on the intake layout, but it is very good and should be copied if it isn't protected.

I don't agree with this.
The only time a Winder has any amount of lag is taking off from a standing start, as their is no boost yet, and the engine has a lower compression ratio compared to a NA engine.
Any other time the Winder has incredible throttle response, as there is always boost waiting right behind the individual throttle butterflies located right close to the head.
Aside from the standing start response, I rank it as good as any other sled I've ever driven.
I don't know if Yamaha has a patent on the intake layout, but it is very good and should be copied if it isn't protected.

^^^^Somewhat true but you need to stay on the gas slightly. If your on the brake then immediately back on the gas, it’s false. When you let off the gas your engine pulls a vacuum and the BOV opens losing boost pressure. People get used to riding a particular sled, their style changes.
I can absolutely guarantee you a Winder has no where near the response of an SRX especially with a roller secondary. They are so responsive I have had my hand slip on the bar accidentally pinning the throttle for a fraction of a second......lifting the skis and putting me in the trees.

So your saying the 900t is as snappy as your Apex?
:crap:
Very similar in sport bone stock Apex and 900t. I ride with all Apex xtx riders all feel 900t is comparable feel to Apex. No one comes away from 900t thinking it lacks snap or top end power. But to be fair the Apex is soooo much heavier than the 900t so not really fair comparo. I always hand it over in standard let them ride for a few miles then check in click to sport let them rip. The big shite eating grin after riding in sport is priceless followed by how much they like the 900t Enduro. Think of it this way the Apex is heavy and dated in every way. Users have to buy risers and prestudded tracks from the aftermarket doo allows you to buy as standard accessories along with linq accessories. The Apex was sold stock with ripsaw do your own studding or buy ice ripper on you own same with risers. Don’t get me wrong the Apex xtx was a great sled in it’s day but totally outdated compared to 900t packages.

Very similar in sport bone stock Apex and 900t. I ride with all Apex xtx riders all feel 900t is comparable feel to Apex. No one comes away from 900t thinking it lacks snap or top end power. But to be fair the Apex is soooo much heavier than the 900t so not really fair comparo. I always hand it over in standard let them ride for a few miles then check in click to sport let them rip. The big shite eating grin after riding in sport is priceless followed by how much they like the 900t Enduro. Think of it this way the Apex is heavy and dated in every way. Users have to buy risers and prestudded tracks from the aftermarket doo allows you to buy as standard accessories along with linq accessories. The Apex was sold stock with ripsaw do your own studding or buy ice ripper on you own same with risers. Don’t get me wrong the Apex xtx was a great sled in it’s day but totally outdated compared to 900t packages.
Who are these people? The 900T has less than 10hp more than an Apex, so if riding that has them with a big 'shite eating grin', I can only surmise that pulling the trigger on a Winder would leave them with a 'shite' in their pants!

Who are these people? The 900T has less than 10hp more than an Apex, so if riding that has them with a big 'shite eating grin', I can only surmise that pulling the trigger on a Winder would leave them with a 'shite' in their pants!
900t will never compare to SW power not designed for that totally agree. 900t position is between Viper and SW. Apex guys are buds I have been riding with for last 10 years don’t want 180 hp + sled from any OEM 150 4s is their sweet spot. I have ridden SWs and think it is a great sled engine is outstanding steering is laborious definitely more hp than I can use. My Apex buds think this way.... with no apex replacement from Yamaha that hp niche is being ignored only have 900t to consider. We are big mile riders and have seen stators and exup headers fail on Apex and end up parting and only sled to move to is 900t. If Yamaha responds with all new Apex we all will be over it but sadly nothing there.

You are wishful thinking that any skidoo has the bottom to mid range of a Apex ....

900t will never compare to SW power not designed for that totally agree. 900t position is between Viper and SW. Apex guys are buds I have been riding with for last 10 years don’t want 180 hp + sled from any OEM 150 4s is their sweet spot. I have ridden SWs and think it is a great sled engine is outstanding steering is laborious definitely more hp than I can use. My Apex buds think this way.... with no apex replacement from Yamaha that hp niche is being ignored only have 900t to consider. We are big mile riders and have seen stators and exup headers fail on Apex and end up parting and only sled to move to is 900t. If Yamaha responds with all new Apex we all will be over it but sadly nothing there.

Yamaha has the opportunity to make a statement in the snowmobile world, timing is everything!!!
My thoughts.... They have the technology
1- eps
2- 3 mode engine management
3- best drive by wire technology
4-excellent turbo technology
Incorporate all 4 things that make up a 150-160 hp sled( baby brother to sidewinder)
Call it whatever, maybe VENOM
BEAT skidoo to the party.
From what I have heard from conversations with dealer owners on sled trips is that The next BIG thing from skidoo is EPS. Probably will appear as a spring order option.
BUT is YAMAHA SERIOUS.... who the f&ck knows.

Yamaha has the opportunity to make a statement in the snowmobile world, timing is everything!!!
My thoughts.... They have the technology
1- eps
2- 3 mode engine management
3- best drive by wire technology
4-excellent turbo technology
Incorporate all 4 things that make up a 150-160 hp sled( baby brother to sidewinder)
Call it whatever, maybe VENOM
BEAT skidoo to the party.
From what I have heard from conversations with dealer owners on sled trips is that The next BIG thing from skidoo is EPS. Probably will appear as a spring order option.
BUT is YAMAHA SERIOUS.... who the f&ck knows.

EPS ?
Oh yea Engine Protection System!
Gotcha......LOL & lmao

As far as power steering goes that’s a farse!
If you want your sled to steer with virtually no effort all you need to do is change the pivot position on the ski mount.

You are wishful thinking that any skidoo has the bottom to mid range of a Apex ....
Doesn’t matter Apex is history 150-160 hp product is gone from Yamaha line up. Low hanging fruit for 90ot Yamaha needs to respond or Apex niche will be lost to doo. Apex is dated in every way 900t is not is my point Yamaha can’t compete without a model. All my buds Apex are worn out not buying Vipers not enough SW to much hp and money. Apex engines are fantastic mills but heavy and wide done in sleds. Yamaha needs to have new chassis that fit all their hp niche engines take a modular approach to make money in snow biz.

As far as power steering goes that’s a farse!
If you want your sled to steer with virtually no effort all you need to do is change the pivot position on the ski mount.
It’s a farce people are willing to pay for again Yamaha developed the eps market letting it get away. Imo Doo has to be licking their chops can’t believe Yamaha isn’t backfilling their Apex market. Tragic really for Yamaha faithful.

It’s a farce people are willing to pay for again Yamaha developed the eps market letting it get away. Imo Doo has to be licking their chops can’t believe Yamaha isn’t backfilling their Apex market. Tragic really for Yamaha faithful.

People are also willing to pay thousands of dollars on Mobile Strike credits.....yes I know these idiots.

Power steering should be limited to touring models, not performance machines.

Back