• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Heat Exchanger Stud Interference (Apex SE)

Soldier'spapa

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder Ltx LE 50th Anniversary
In looking over the "New-To-Me" SE I found the rear exchanger has been struck by the studs when the suspension has compressed all the way. I was thinking of installing an additional 1/4 " of aluminum the entire length of the tunnel protectors but found this would make it too tight between the track and protectors so I opted to modify the protectors just at the back end.

Here is what I found/did:

Showing the problem:
IMG_0591.jpg

Side view of protector & mounting bracket:
IMG_0592.jpg

By removing the hold down nut for the protector I pulled the protector down away from the exchanger. Notice the flat contact plate on the bottom of the exchanger and thin rubber pad on the top side of the protector.
IMG_0594.jpg

Next I rubber cemented 2, 1/8' flat pieces of rubber between the protector and exchanger.
IMG_0595.jpg

Also placed a 1/8" flat washer between the protector bracket and the tunnel.
IMG_0596.jpg

A drop of locktite on the bracket nuts and drew everything up tight.
IMG_0597.jpg

Hopefully the additional rubber will stay in place! If it doesn't, at least the additional washer will lower the protectors down from where they were.

I will be watching closely as I start to put some miles on this machine!

Soldier'spapa said:
In looking over the "New-To-Me" SE I found the rear exchanger has been struck by the studs when the suspension has compressed all the way. I was thinking of installing an additional 1/4 " of aluminum the entire length of the tunnel protectors but found this would make it too tight between the track and protectors so I opted to modify the protectors just at the back end.

Here is what I found/did:

Showing
Hopefully the additional rubber will stay in place! If it doesn't, at least the additional washer will lower the protectors down from where they were.

I will be watching closely as I start to put some miles on this machine!
Check out what Steiner did about 3/4 of the way down in this post (pieces of slider were added)
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=108028

The problem with the stock tunnel protectors on the newer power steering apex's is that the C-channel bracket that attaches them to the tunnel actually flexes as the track rubs against the protectors allowing the studs to do the damage you see. Over time the C-channel gap decreases as the channel bends from the protectors contact with the track and then you get into some serious problems with the cooler and the EXUP Valve getting hit by the studs (you may want to check out the EXUP on the sled above as well). What we have been doing is removing the C-channel brackets and having a chunk of aluminum welded into them to prevent them from collapsing and then reinstalling them. If you choose this route be sure to get a measurement of how big the gap is on a stock protector as most used sleds have already had the gap flattened as the C-channel bends over use. Here's a couple photos of how we mod the C-channel brackets.

Attachments

• 2012-09-07_10-46-32_385 take 2.JPG
    2012-09-07_10-46-32_385 take 2.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 469
  • 2012-09-07_10-46-49_689 take 2.JPG
    2012-09-07_10-46-49_689 take 2.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 460
Thank you for the input guys!

After seeing what Kevin from Port Yamaha posted, I went back to the sled and took another look further up the tunnel. I found that the "C" brackets at the front and mid mounting locations have indeed been modified in the same fashion he has shown us. There is NO STUD DAMAGE at the EXUP or anywhere else along the way... just at the rear exchanger.

I called and spoke with Kevin (Great Guy!) We discussed what I found and agreed that I should also brace the "C" brackets located just in front of the exchanger. The bracing accompanied by the rubber spacing should be all I need.

Here is a pic showing the brackets further up the tunnel
IMG_0599.jpg

Those guys at Port Yamaha are great! That is where I just picked up my new apex from. What Kevin is talking about above is what they did to my sled. Extremely happy with the job they did!!!!!!!!

Did they support every bracket (including the ones just in front of the rear cooler)?

IAVECTORGT said:
I believe they did, yes. And it's solid!

Good deal! Mine is too... now.

Since I bought mine used, I don't know the circumstances leading into the scraped up cooler on my sled. It may have been just one hard "tail" landing. I should be "good to go" now!

I had a buddy with an '11 Vector LTX that had his studs impact the rear cooler. All I did for that issue was bought 1 tunnel protector, cut it in half, and added that to the existing protector. No further impacts seen since I did that for him. The impact to your cooler may have happened prior to the mods??? And he realized something had to be done??? I'd say you are good to go! What size studs do you have? I had Port Yamaha install 153 Woody's 1.325s. I went with that size due to the impacting issue. Should be less of a possibility.

IAVECTORGT said:
I had a buddy with an '11 Vector LTX that had his studs impact the rear cooler. All I did for that issue was bought 1 tunnel protector, cut it in half, and added that to the existing protector. No further impacts seen since I did that for him. The impact to your cooler may have happened prior to the mods??? And he realized something had to be done??? I'd say you are good to go! What size studs do you have? I had Port Yamaha install 153 Woody's 1.325s. I went with that size due to the impacting issue. Should be less of a possibility.

I don't exactly know which stud and length they are, but if you take a look at the last photo I posted you will see the studs and pattern. They stick up past the lug height about 1/4" so it should be Okay.

First post for me, On my 2011 apex 128" I just put longer bolts in the left and right front muffler mounts, if you look they come thru the tunnel just above the protector. You can cut the bolts what ever length you need and even put a little down force on the protector even thou there isn't much more room. I also put a washer under all four muffler bolts and under the two EXUP bolts to move the exhaust up a little. I put over 600 miles on without a scratch. (Woody' 1.325) P.S. I tried to load pictures but no luck.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying that the longer bolts effectively prevent the protector brackets from collapsing?

If so, you still may wish to do something additional to the rear heat exchanger area. Since I discovered the damaged cooler and started this thread (showing the added material to the top side of the protector), I added and additional 1/4" of material to the bottom side of the protectors at the tail as well.

Yes the bolts will act as a stop and take the flex out of the brackets accomplishing the same thing as welding in the braces and all you have to do is take the seat and exhaust cover off to get at the bolts. also the brackets look plenty stout enough for this. also when you take out the muffler and EXUP bolts there is quit a bit of flexibility to move the exhaust up but I decided to be cautious and just go with one washer but you could probably go more. Like I said 600 miles not a scratch anywhere. :)

I'll try to attach a picture as soon as I can find a 5 year old kid to explain it to me ;-)

I finally figured out how to add a picture - hope this shows what I was talking about.

Attachments

• b01adbff[1].jpg
    b01adbff[1].jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 497a75ba[1].jpg
    497a75ba[1].jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 463

Back