• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Torsion Spring Mod

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Was a late night last night Bloody Knuckles involved but relearned a important lesson. I badly wanted to get a lot of sag in the rear of my sled for some speed runs I am doing today. So I took the springs which are 2 steps lighter than stock and bent them in press at work. Installed and this is result. Exact same. Maybe 1-2 inches of sag. Maybe 3-4 with me on it. Same as stock springs. Shock is largest factor for sag. Sucks. But shows how important the rear shock is.
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG

ummm, no it doesn't. My rear shock is OUT of the sled right now for service and the unloaded ride height changed zero. Shocks do not hold the sled, or any other vehicle up for that matter, springs do.

ummm, no it doesn't. My rear shock is OUT of the sled right now for service and the unloaded ride height changed zero. Shocks do not hold the sled, or any other vehicle up for that matter, springs do.

Of course the spring does a bit but very little for ride hieght. Take your springs off and put just the shock back in and you will see if you want to waste your time. I know what you are saying and that is normally true but on this skid the shock does control ride height way more than any other sled I have ever encountered. Try it.

. We will have to agree to disagree on this. The minimal spring rate in the shock due to the gas charge is what you are seeing. Remove the springs, if YOU want to waste your time and sit on the sled with just the shock, it will collapse. Now remove the shock and sit on the sled with just the springs installed and watch it support your weight. This is not " normally true", it is always true. The shock is not the deciding factor in loaded ride height
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG

I get it but I am telling you the rear shock affects ride height more on this skid than any other. Done arguing with you. I have checked both ways with just spring and with just shock. It is drastic the amount the shock does for ride height. If you dont want to try just the shock so be it but I have. Do you think I am a idiot? On any normal skid bending the spring as much as I did the sled would be lowered drastically. I can put the spring loops in with 2 fingers. There is that little tension. Did not lower sled. With me off the sled it is right up to the stops and with me on it has 4in of sag. That is nothing. I just wanted to lower sled for some speed runs without putting spacer in rear shock. This has worked on other sled. Good Day. I am going riding.

Change your springs first or else you will have a terrible ride with them bent like that.

Be very interesting to see this one, I know someone here local that bent their springs and also drilled a new hole lower in the rails to lower the long arms on the torsion springs. But as cannondale is saying, stock shocks really limit this sled as far as speed. Softer valving does help but ultimately that rear end needs to sag right down to really roll.

Be very interesting to see this one, I know someone here local that bent their springs and also drilled a new hole lower in the rails to lower the long arms on the torsion springs. But as cannondale is saying, stock shocks really limit this sled as far as speed. Softer valving does help but ultimately that rear end needs to sag right down to really roll.
Yup they changed geometry of this skid from 13 to 14. Guess people dont want sag! Oh and the springs being bent it rode very nice as far as I could tell. Just sped up rebound of rear shock.Did help hookup for sure.

If your shock will hold up you sled with no spring, your shocks are shot. You should be able to lean on your shock and compress them by hand. No way it won't compress atleast over the course of a cpl min by the weight of your sled. And you actually stiffened the rear spring based on any logical form of geometry. The flat portion is soft yes but once you get to the bend it acts like a steal support that won't even compress. That's like standing a leaf spring up vertically. If you want to lower it by bending the spring you need to bend them right next to the wrapped portion of the spring. The cam side will soften the spring and the front side will lower the sled. But however you made it up in your mind to work good for you

Try it with your shocks. I never said shocks did everything. I said THEY EFFECT RIDE HIEGHT MORE THAN ANY OTHER SKID I HAVE SEEN! And if you think bending like I did stiffens the spring well then there is just no use continuing this discussion. All I ask is you doubters just disconnect your springs and feel how much the shock does for ride Hieght. Oh and don't nitpick a guy who just spent 2 hrs under sled dripping blood on floor!

Try it with your shocks. I never said shocks did everything. I said THEY EFFECT RIDE HIEGHT MORE THAN ANY OTHER SKID I HAVE SEEN! And if you think bending like I did stiffens the spring well then there is just no use continuing this discussion. All I ask is you doubters just disconnect your springs and feel how much the shock does for ride Hieght. Oh and don't nitpick a guy who just spent 2 hrs under sled dripping blood on floor!

Funny we are all the same I have 10 pairs of mechanic glove right beside me in the garage when working on our sled but never wear them! I always mange to tear up my hands:)

It just really hit a nerve. Late night and alot of work for no real result and I get some NitPicking from people that obviously to me have never tried or experienced it them selves. Need to ride some more that cures it!

Back