• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

recommendation on gauntlets

ualav8

Expert
my wife rides our 03 rx-1 and gets cold hands very easily. because she is hesitant to put hot charcoal bricks in her hands like i recommended, we are looking for a set of gauntlets for her. anybody use them and have a recommendation? what kind of gloves do you wear with the gauntlets?

what about hand gaurds , they look better and keep the wind off your hands

I have used gaunlets for many years especially during multi day saddlebag trips in Quebec. The combination of gaunlets and handlebar warmers allow you to use lighter weight gloves and keep your hands toasty warm, even at -30 F temps.. I use a set of gaunlets made by the Joe Rocket company. I got them from a company in NH called Smart Recreational Parts, great guys to deal with. I always take my set of guanlets on every trip, just in case. Hand guards cannot compare to the warmth provided by the gaunlets. I am sure you can find them in the Dennis Kirk catalog.

I have used gauntlets for several seasons now and found if properly setup, they work extremely well. Like RX1Jim said, you can actually wear very thin gloves under the gauntlets. In fact, last December I wore no gloves during the day and my hands were toasty.

The first thing I learned is that you need to install a set of hand-guards as they will deflect wind around the gauntlet, keeping it open rather than collapsing around your hand. This is important because a collapsed gauntlet on your left hand can cause issues when trying to pull the break.

Second, try to find a gauntlet that has relatively short sleeves. You want to be able to easily get your hands into and out of the gauntlet, especially when you need to provide hand signals to passing riders.

Hope that helps.

Yes, Swiis is right about the issue with being able to provide hand signals while using the gauntlets. I added the CSS light system to all of my sleds so that hans signals are now a thing of the past.

Also have 2 sets of gauntlets, one I love and the other I hate.

The ones with the warm looking fleece inside are a pain!
They are very hard to get your hands into, the fleece catches on your gloves.

Get the ones with a smooth, slick interior that is easy to put your hand in.
(Unfortunately, I don't know who makes the good ones)

Back