• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

reinstalled reverse motor now clunks

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper mtx
So months ago I removed the reverse actuator sucked out chain case oil and reinstalled the reverse actuator by turning the gear so the actuator is at the 1:00 position then engaged the actuator to the gear and moved it to the 12:00 position. Then tighten the three actuator screws.

the other day I started the sled and cycled between reverse and forward many times, when it shifts from forward to reverse-to forward it makes a clunk noise. Is the clunk normal? I don’t remember it prior to removing/ replacing the reverse actuator.

So months ago I removed the reverse actuator sucked out chain case oil and reinstalled the reverse actuator by turning the gear so the actuator is at the 1:00 position then engaged the actuator to the gear and moved it to the 12:00 position. Then tighten the three actuator screws.

the other day I started the sled and cycled between reverse and forward many times, when it shifts from forward to reverse-to forward it makes a clunk noise. Is the clunk normal? I don’t remember it prior to removing/ replacing the reverse actuator.

The sled will make a slight "clunk" noise, because the gears are meshing steel teeth together. You installed the reverse actuator correctly by how you descried.

The 2 things that could make your gears making more noise is:
1 - When you pulled the reverse actuator off, the gear inside the chain case moved a little and you are off a tooth.
2 - The top gear bushing is wore down to the point that the gears are getting interference and making a clunk because of the worn bushing.

Can I remove the actuator and push the gear inside the chain case toward the center of the sled- push gear towards back of chain case-the reinstall the actuator to make sure it’s in the correct position?

I got that clunk noise because I installed it wrong the first time. Didn't know about the "1 o'clock" position and just mashed it in there. After doing it correctly there's little to no noise.

Can I remove the actuator and push the gear inside the chain case toward the center of the sled- push gear towards back of chain case-the reinstall the actuator to make sure it’s in the correct position?

Yes

Not related to original issue, but any knowledge if the cover for the reverse actuator can be sourced and bought? 2015 MTX. The guy who had it before me somehow managed to lose the cover.

You could ask if anyone has one lying around? Gotta be someone who has replaced theirs.

Back