• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Removal of drive/Jackshaft and replacement of bearings

SRX Boy

Expert
I need to replace my track and thought because I have to remove the driveshat it was logical to replace both bearings (speedo side and crankcase side) - I have 6500 miles on my 2006 Apex ER.

Well I dropped the track and removed the suppesion but I'm stuggling with how to remove the driveshaft and the bearings on both side. Can anyone help out - pics would be great!!
:4STroke:

on the clutch side there is a torx set screw on a collar on the track drive under the tunnel, also there are 3 nuts to remove the berring holder and thats it for that side. the other side you have to remove the gears the top collar behind the gear, also has a torx set screw, an remove the inner chain case. i know there are pictures on here somewhere so im sure someone will post them for you, i have to run so good luck, its really not that hard. btw if you have over 4000 miles you should think about changing the drive shaft berring on the clutch side also because they only last about 5000 miles.

On the clutch side there are TWO (2) torx set screws. Just take both of them completely out as you'll need to use them in the new one unless you ordered them with it.

Still a little confused

I'm sorry guys I am still a little confused by the follow up posts. Let me recap:

(1) on clutch side; (a) remove collar, via torx srews, on the track drive under the tunnel; and, (b) remove gears and another collar behind the gears and the inner chain case

(2) on speedo side, remove 3 nuts to take out the bearing holder

If I got that right, I think I'm okay with the Speedo side work but am less convinced how to do the clutch side work - any help or pics would be great. I've purchased a bearing for each side (they are different) and a new can of chain case oil - am I missing anything??

Once you do #2 stick your head in the tunnel. On the other side of that bearing on the drive shaft there is a collar attached to that bearing. It has some torx screws in it. You need to loosen them before that bearing will pull off the drive shaft.

I'm confused by what you mean by clutch side and speedo side. They are in fact the same.

Thanks - think I got it now. If I'm doing the driveshaft bearings, should I also undertake replacing the Jackshaft bearings as well?? I have about 6,500 miles on the sled with no indication of a problem with the Jackshaft bearings - just don't know if it makes sense from a prevenative mtce perspective (have not heard of many Jackshaft bearing problems).

Buddy of mine had a jackshaft bearing go just under a month ago, his sled is a 06 Apex RTX with just under 5000 miles, not sure what caused the bearing to go, or if this is about normal mileage for them to go without taking off the seal and greasing them.

I was actually wondering if I should replace mine or just start greasing it during the summer, currently at 2700 miles and if I ride anything next year like I did this year I should have no problem getting up around 5k miles next year.

hUH??

Just download the pdf. ((do a search right here)) and help yourself to all info needed on that Apex ..nuff said. :Rockon:

Back