• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacement skies for 2014 Viper

SIKEWARD

Expert
I have a 14 Viper short track. My wife rides the sled and she complains that it is darty. What skies can I put on it so it is a nice easy handling machine with proper trail manners?

Thanks

Check ski alignment. Straight alignment "darty", toed in "really really darty". Toed out it will ride like a Lincoln. Measure along wear bars not the ski's

Bergstrom Skegs will fix the problem. I had them on my Viper last year. This year for something different I put on a set of C&A XPT skis with Bergstrom skegs

I have a 14 Viper short track. My wife rides the sled and she complains that it is darty. What skies can I put on it so it is a nice easy handling machine with proper trail manners?

Thanks
The 14 RT-X came with Cat skis which are a very good ski, nice starting point.
I would begin with the Cobra carbides in a length adequate for her riding style. Heavy ski pressure and miss-alignment of the ski will also cause extreme darting depending on snow conditions. I find many riders tend to run heavy on the front skies, probably unknowingly set that way from dealer giving a rail like feel in the corners sometimes a little tippy but very uncomfortable in a straight line or while on engine brake into a corner. Heavy ski pressure will dart, just how much depends on many factors. I would start with ski pressure, ride height and alignment. Then install a good carbide see what changes then adjust accordingly. Skies alone in most cases will not solve a darting issue. After everything is all set up perfect some occasional darting may occur, after all the surface in which we ride is ever changing and only seat-time can help. https://www.qualipieces.com/cobra#_...rderBy:null&IsDescOrder:false&Index:0&Count:0

The 14 RT-X came with Cat skis which are a very good ski, nice starting point.
I would begin with the Cobra carbides in a length adequate for her riding style. Heavy ski pressure and miss-alignment of the ski will also cause extreme darting depending on snow conditions. I find many riders tend to run heavy on the front skies, probably unknowingly set that way from dealer giving a rail like feel in the corners sometimes a little tippy but very uncomfortable in a straight line or while on engine brake into a corner. Heavy ski pressure will dart, just how much depends on many factors. I would start with ski pressure, ride height and alignment. Then install a good carbide see what changes then adjust accordingly. Skies alone in most cases will not solve a darting issue. After everything is all set up perfect some occasional darting may occur, after all the surface in which we ride is ever changing and only seat-time can help. https://www.qualipieces.com/cobra#_...rderBy:null&IsDescOrder:false&Index:0&Count:0

I actually have a good used set of cobras if you want to try them.

If you opt for a dual skag, you want woody's slim jims....not woody's dooley. Both eliminate darting, but the slim jim offers much more precise handling over a dooley. You will get more push with a dooley.

Beings its your wife, perhaps you want to look into snowtrackers as they also give the sled a lighter steering. Snow trackers are are my first choice for runners on single keel skis. Excellent handling, no darting. self sharpening carbide, and lighter steering. I think I still have a demo set from last year that only have around 200 miles on them.

Snowtrackers

I agree 100%. I know I sound like a broken record, being such a fan of the Snow Trackers, but I have Cat skis with semi-aggressive Snow Trackers on my 2015 LTX, and my riding buddy was so impressed that he went out and bought Cat skis and Snow Trackers for his 2016 LTX. They steer easy, and there is virtually no push or darting. They are ugly, and they are not cheap, but they really work!

I agree 100%. I know I sound like a broken record, being such a fan of the Snow Trackers, but I have Cat skis with semi-aggressive Snow Trackers on my 2015 LTX, and my riding buddy was so impressed that he went out and bought Cat skis and Snow Trackers for his 2016 LTX. They steer easy, and there is virtually no push or darting. They are ugly, and they are not cheap, but they really work!
all 3 of us with 14 cats also run semi snowtrackers...i love them..last set lasted me almost 8000kms

Back