• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ride Report on Curve XS with Vendor Input

The best bet you'll have for a discount is to meet us at the Ohio NY Grass Drags August 20th or 21st or at Big East in Syracuse.

Our show pricing is always $419 all inclusive and 20% off on carbides.

Nick and I talked about a "group buy" for forum members and most likely will not extend such an offer. We are very conscious of our dealers and do not want to undercut what pricing we insist they uphold.

- Sean

www.CurveXS.com

Sean,

What color combo Curve XS skis would suit this color scheme best?

Vector_Mountain_50th_An.jpg

What carbides would you recommend for a Vector Mountain running mainly on trails but with occasional all mountain/powder running?

And last but not least; shipping cost to Norway for a complete ski set?

Thanks[/img]

Birk, I can render some options for you if you give me some time... Week or so. I'm thinking Blk/Blk, Wht/Blk or Blk/Wht... Neither our ski or loop yellow is even close. Is that a special decal package or some custom paint?... Looks great!!

For your Vector Mountain, 6" round bars will work well.

Shipping is typically in the $85 range but I'll have to look for sure. What is your zip?

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.RideWithRobbie.com

Hi Sean

The yellow is not picked and choosed yet so not sure what kind of yellow it will be. If I go for this look it will be a custom paint job. It's the same as used on some of Yamaha's bikes for their 50th An. of bike building. Also used in 2005 on their Moto GP bikes. I might even go for the yellow below, if I find out the color code...

Yamaha_YZR_M1_Laguna_Seca.jpg

I've been think black/black or white/black as well, just not to go overboard with the yellow :-D (it's not a Doo)

No hurry with the rendering, the winter is still a couple of months away :-(

Shipping to zip 9730 in Norway, that where my sled is (my fathers place).

Thanks!! ;)!

This is going sound like a crazy question and may already been asked,

What's going to happen when a tons of people start using the curve skis
and compacting there own groves all over the trails, then the same model sled comes along with the same skis
and gets sucked in that groove set by the last "curve" gone by.

Won't that defeat the whole concept of this ski with the snow already being compacted by the last "curve"
Also would that cause handing problem to the next guy coming, by making his sled go where the last guy went, not where he wants it to go.

In my head this question make sense, does it to you?

thanks

Sort like when pilot skis came out in masses, they ruled for a few years with now darting, then then every ski doo came with them they were all darting in each others rut.

I didn't want to use Skidoo as an example, but yes, sort of like that.

I heard people say that there skis would hop in those tracks and then have a hard time changing direction.

So I was thinking that a ski that tunneled and formed a track might be worse (as time goes on)
as the track it makes will be more compacted because of the way it works.
(...well at least until the groomer comes by...lol )

Although this principle of 'matching' appears with all other uniquely shaped skis, Curve skis are not susceptible for two reasons:

1) Curve XS skis have a 'displacement' keel - an entirely new concept in snowmobile skis. In short, snow is forced away from the keel by the large radii then funneled in using our patented continuously variable geometry and compressed. Looking at the bottom of the Curve ski, there is no square edge which would allow it to fall into another track. Curve XS skis displace whatever track is in front of them, then reform the rail on each side of the keel.

2) The leading edge is a second measure of support that can be employed by low speed touring riders or particularly nervous chassis' like the Nytro. When conditions get hard, Curve XS skis are still a single runner. Due to many other design features, they perform extremely well in rutted icy or hard packed conditions but can fall victim to deceleration tracking on rare occasions. The Leading Edge allows our skis to have all the benefits of a single runner keel, with the straight line performance of a dual runner. Again, the LE is recommended ONLY for certain riders on certain chassis. For example, tracking is something we've never experienced on an XP but found to be prevalent on rare occasions with our Nytro... much of which is the nature of the beast. In our testing there is only one reason to use a dual runner configuration - straight line tracking. We've now 100% covered that base as well with zero of the drawbacks inherent with dual runner designs.

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.RideWithRobbie.com

The only reason this came into my head was because of this photo
The result of that compression looks to be a solid as concrete.

So is what your saying happens when you come back to the same
track you left, is that, because the front of the ski has a wider intake
(then what it left behind)
it will not fall into the track it left and treats it like new snow to be taken in?

I've been looking for skis for my 07 RageGT for a while now
and these have got my attention.
To be honest, I was ready to sell this ill handling sled and
go skidoo (it's that bad)
But I'm gonna give it one more year of trial w/ skis & clutch
Ski to turn
Clutch to stop that awful "engine braking"

[/quote]

Yeah.....OK

These puppies WORK as Sean & Nick state, I was checking out what
these actually do to the snow under the ski and I'm here to tell ya - its compressed pretty tight. Packing the snow under the carbide for enhanced performance is just Brilliant!

IMG_1454.jpg
[/quote]

From this picture you can see that the Curve XS is incapable of picking up another track in formable snow. In order to drop in, it must first cross and in doing so, reforms the existing track by first displacement, and then compression. Hondo, who is pictured in the background of the second picture below has documented through video the ability to cross over other tracks unaffected.

IMG_6272.jpg

From this picture you can see the patent pending leading edge attached in front of the wearbar. If the ski crosses a track that it cannot displace on its own, the leading edge clears a path which again allows the ski keel to work or conditions the path for the wearbar to operate unaffected by grooves.

IMG_6369.jpg

I am picturing a condition as you describe where many Curve XS tracks have passed through at the end of a warmer day. Later on, temperatures quickly drop and the trail is left with a collection of 'ice rails' on top of the base. I cannot see this feasibly causing a problem however. Studs, and other riders would quickly break this condition up even if a groomer hadn't come through. Keep in mind that the rails of compressed snow are not cut into the base but instead formed on top of.

In our thousands of miles of testing, we have not found the track of one Curve XS to influence the handling characteristics of a following Curve XS equipped machine.

Great question!

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.RideWithRobbie.com

SRX Maine:

Bought a pair last February up at the Test and Tune at Excell Motorsports. Didn't bring my sled for Nick to tune for me (slight regret), but was still worth the trip to pick his brain, see Aaron's new shop, and even take his Nytro for a spin out back. (grinning ear to ear)

I too have a Rage so I know what you mean about the handling. The machine is heavy, and feels like a dump truck in the loose, and heavy snow. With the Yamaha ski, you'd turn it and the ski would simply wash out in the turn, forcing you to slow down. Put on a longer set of carbides and it helps a little bit, but then darting got worse. Tried that...wasn't the answer.

In comes a fresh pair of Curve XS skis, and all I can only say wow!! Massive improvement all around for my 2005 Rage. On the groomed trails, the ski was very predictable, and I don't recall any darting. I even remember riding one handed, and couple times with complete control of the machine. On the loose and heavy stuff the ski also dug in, and did it's job turning as directed. No more washing out and slowing down in the corners. Last ride of the season, we are coming down the Tug Hill, and a groomer was broke down in the middle of the trail forcing everyone to go around. All I kept thinking was as soon as I blaze this machine into the deep stuff this Rage is gonna sink like a stone. To my surprise, this ski pushed up my sled like a water ski getting up on plane, and I was able to go around. Granted...I didn't lift off the throttle, but I honestly could feel the difference. I could feel the flotation they talk about, and the ski allowed me to change direction in the deep stuff. Needless to say I was impressed, and thought to myself....I don't need a new sled. Sure...I'd like a new sled, but don't need one.

So again....not a lot of seat time (150-250 miles), but a noticeable difference even for my heavy a$$ dump truck. This week, I sold the Rage and moving up to the Nytro XTX. When the perspective buyer came to look at the machine, he asked about the Curve XS skis still on the machine as I wasn't about to take them off until it sold. Planned on riding it if I didn't get what I felt was a fair price for a well kept machine. Again, I raved about skis and told him they were going on my new Yamaha. When asked for how much more with the sled, I simply told him not for sale. ;-)

Last but not least, Nick and Sean have the BEST customer service I have seen in a long while. Quick response time, tons of knowledge, and genuinely want to make you happy as a customer, and happy with their product. I'll be calling them shortly for different mounting parts for my XTX, as well as recommendations on setting up the machine. Should they have another Test and Tune, I'll be riding or bringing my sled to them for fine tuning. I can't recommend their product enough. Opinions vary on this website, but for me their product did just as they said it would, and was worthy investment.

Thanks Nick and Sean.

- BrownDog -

PS: Looks like I'll have to upload some new pics for your website when the XTX arrives in the garage. :Rockon:

Brown Dog, thank you for the great review! We would love for you to update your Xtremes Ride profile when you get that XTX in and we also very much look forward to meeting you out on the trail or at a demo ride and making sure you have that new machine tuned to perfection. We really pride ourselves on operating a truly ethical organization which places everyone in this wonderful sport - first.

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.RideWithRobbie.com

Back