• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Riding impressions of "power steering."

Epicsw

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder
If anyone is on the fence over whether to buy the Barn of Parts power steering kit... BUY IT!

After nearly 300 miles of twisty curvies in Northern Wisconsin, I can tell you I no longer miss my Apex's power steering. What a marvelous difference this kit makes!!

Thanks for developing and marketing your genius contraption. It works flawlessly.

Interesting.

IMG_0798.JPG

I know that steering effort is a subjective topic. Here's my version:

I bought this 2017 LTX LE new last year. I have been unhappy with the steering from day one. First thing was to ditch the Tunner Ski's for Arctic Cat ski's from a 2016 ZR7000. Big improvement darting and push were gone but still had what I felt was excessively heavy steering effort. I still have my 2016 ZR7000 and the steering effort between these two procross chassis's is night and day. The ZR7000 steering effort does not bother me at all. I ride a lot of tight wooded trails and when I rode this sidewinder I had to have a death grip on the handle bars so I could turn this thing on these wooded trails. After Christmas I rode this sidewinder 170 miles in one day and I was beat. My forearms and hands were aching. That was it for me.

So I picked up the MPS kit from Barn of Parts a few days ago. Very easy to install. Install time was about 1 hour with adjusting front ski alignment. I met Travis when I picked up the kit from his shop, very good guy

I've ridden my sidewinder with the MPS kit installed for the last 2 days and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. If your not happy with the steering effort then buy this kit. The MPS kit just flat out works... I wish I would have ordered one early and got the discounted price but I was holding out for other riders to chime in with their results. It's a very simple add on and it does what it says it will do.
Thanks Travis, you saved me from selling this sled.

If anyone is on the fence over whether to buy the Barn of Parts power steering kit... BUY IT!

After nearly 300 miles of twisty curvies in Northern Wisconsin, I can tell you I no longer miss my Apex's power steering. What a marvelous difference this kit makes!!

Thanks for developing and marketing your genius contraption. It works flawlessly.

Where In Northern Wis? I'm looking to do a shake down ride next Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know that steering effort is a subjective topic. Here's my version:

I bought this 2017 LTX LE new last year. I have been unhappy with the steering from day one. First thing was to ditch the Tunner Ski's for Arctic Cat ski's from a 2016 ZR7000. Big improvement darting and push were gone but still had what I felt was excessively heavy steering effort. I still have my 2016 ZR7000 and the steering effort between these two procross chassis's is night and day. The ZR7000 steering effort does not bother me at all. I ride a lot of tight wooded trails and when I rode this sidewinder I had to have a death grip on the handle bars so I could turn this thing on these wooded trails. After Christmas I rode this sidewinder 170 miles in one day and I was beat. My forearms and hands were aching. That was it for me.

So I picked up the MPS kit from Barn of Parts a few days ago. Very easy to install. Install time was about 1 hour with adjusting front ski alignment. I met Travis when I picked up the kit from his shop, very good guy

I've ridden my sidewinder with the MPS kit installed for the last 2 days and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. If your not happy with the steering effort then buy this kit. The MPS kit just flat out works... I wish I would have ordered one early and got the discounted price but I was holding out for other riders to chime in with their results. It's a very simple add on and it does what it says it will do.
Thanks Travis, you saved me from selling this sled.

Is the ZR7000 a 129 track? Maybe its just the LTX sleds that dart and have heavy steering with the tuners.
My 129 doesn't dart at all with the tuners, and the steering effort isn't hard at all.

Is the ZR7000 a 129 track? Maybe its just the LTX sleds that dart and have heavy steering with the tuners.
My 129 doesn't dart at all with the tuners, and the steering effort isn't hard at all.

No my ZR 7000 is a 137 skid

No my ZR 7000 is a 137 skid

Interesting. Correct me if Im wrong, but your Zr and Sidewinder are basically the exact same sled then. With the same suspension settings, the steering effort should be exactly the same. I wonder what the reason is for the difference between the sleds. Center shock preload maybe?

The Motors are different . 7000 is the 3 cyl 1049 Yamaha Motor. Skis are different too.
I even swapped the center shock and spring assembly from the ZR7000 over to the Sidewinder with that assembly I could lighten up the steering more but not enough to suit me and it was still heavier then the steering on the ZR 7000 . I have spent lots of time changing front shock preloads, front track shock preload, swapping center spring/shock, pilot 5.7 skis, shimming ski’s different carbides, ZR 7000 ski’s and carbides, I made sure steering post was free and not overtightened/binding.

So the MPS kit was the way to go for me but steering effort is very subjective. What I did may not be for everyone.

The only thing I can think of is with the 998 turbo motor there’s more nose weight then what would be on the non-turbo ZR7000 sled???

With the new design snow tracker kit for the Yamaha tuner 3skis it would be interesting to see the results with those on the tunners.

All I can say is this, the MPS kit worked for me and I’m very happy with the sled now rather then being disappointed in it as I was up until I installed the MPS kit

The Motors are different . 7000 is the 3 cyl 1049 Yamaha Motor. Skis are different too.
I even swapped the center shock and spring assembly from the ZR7000 over to the Sidewinder with that assembly I could lighten up the steering more but not enough to suit me and it was still heavier then the steering on the ZR 7000 . I have spent lots of time changing front shock preloads, front track shock preload, swapping center spring/shock, pilot 5.7 skis, shimming ski’s different carbides, ZR 7000 ski’s and carbides, I made sure steering post was free and not overtightened/binding.

So the MPS kit was the way to go for me but steering effort is very subjective. What I did may not be for everyone.

The only thing I can think of is with the 998 turbo motor there’s more nose weight then what would be on the non-turbo ZR7000 sled???

With the new design snow tracker kit for the Yamaha tuner 3skis it would be interesting to see the results with those on the tunners.

All I can say is this, the MPS kit worked for me and I’m very happy with the sled now rather then being disappointed in it as I was up until I installed the MPS kit

Nice. Glad that the mps worked

But I wonder what's different. The 1049 and the 998 are the same engine, just debored because side x side atvs have a 1000cc limit, and now Yamaha can use the same engine across more product lines.

The weight distribution should be almost identical. The turbo doesn't weight much, and the intercooler out front likely weighs less than the vipers radiator that's liquid filled up front.

Nice. Glad that the mps worked

But I wonder what's different. The 1049 and the 998 are the same engine, just debored because side x side atvs have a 1000cc limit, and now Yamaha can use the same engine across more product lines.

The weight distribution should be almost identical. The turbo doesn't weight much, and the intercooler out front likely weighs less than the vipers radiator that's liquid filled up front.

I rode that ZR 7000 limited 137 for 3,000 miles. Never had a complaint with steering effort. When I spring ordered my LTX LE I assumed it would be about the same since the chassis is the same???

Back