• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Vector Dissapointed

mainecabin

Website
www.mainecabin.com
First, I am a new member and will say hi to you all. I will make this short and sweet.
I am 160 lbs, 57 years young and trail ride between 30 and 40 mph and have 700 miles on my Vector. Engine size and speed are not important to me. Ride and handling is important to me. I think the seat is stiff, not of great concern yet, I figure the seat will "break in". The ski shocks from the factory are extremely firm, I have backed the spring setting off and it seems to be getting a bit better. I have another 1 1/2" and I will be at the softest setting. The rear suspension is very firm even on the soft setting. When I sit on the sled the suspension hardley moves. The sled seems to do a lot of "darting" and pushes in the corners. I was hoping for a plush mobile and did not get it. If I can't get this plushed out it will be in somebody else’s garage and not mine. My wife's sled also needs replaced but if I can't get this the way we like to ride I will have to look at other makes but I have been a loyal Yamaha rider since '74 and would rather stick with them. Please help me make this sled meet my expectations. Thanks in advance for your help.

mainecabin said:
First, I am a new member and will say hi to you all. I will make this short and sweet.
I am 160 lbs, 57 years young and trail ride between 30 and 40 mph and have 700 miles on my Vector. Engine size and speed are not important to me. Ride and handling is important to me. I think the seat is stiff, not of great concern yet, I figure the seat will "break in". The ski shocks from the factory are extremely firm, I have backed the spring setting off and it seems to be getting a bit better. I have another 1 1/2" and I will be at the softest setting. The rear suspension is very firm even on the soft setting. When I sit on the sled the suspension hardley moves. The sled seems to do a lot of "darting" and pushes in the corners. I was hoping for a plush mobile and did not get it. If I can't get this plushed out it will be in somebody else’s garage and not mine. My wife's sled also needs replaced but if I can't get this the way we like to ride I will have to look at other makes but I have been a loyal Yamaha rider since '74 and would rather stick with them. Please help me make this sled meet my expectations. Thanks in advance for your help.

I found the Vector to be set up a little on the firm side too. I decreased the preload on the front shocks about 4mm. I set the rear preload to soft, left the AB stoppers at medium. I also dialed in substantially less transfer. OTOH, I am about 30 lbs heavier (but only 3 years younger) and that 30 lbs might make all the difference in terms of suspension compliance.

I don't find that my machine darts at all. The suspension is by no means "plush", but it's the best I've owned in 30 years. If you were looking for plush, I think you may have bought into the wrong brand and I'd be looking at SkiDoo, which does have some nice geezer-mobiles. They're a well-made sled, rivalling Yamaha for quality fit-and-finish and I'd give them a serious look. I'm thinking that you might really like an 800 Legend. A few of my riding buddies are your age and kind of share your concept of what makes a good snowmobile for them. They ride SkiDoo 800 Legends and really like them a lot. Yamaha doesn't make anything in that category.

Set your Front Suspension Springs to thier softests settings. Raise the front of the sled off the ground and back the adjusters off untill they just touch the springs. Make shure you clean and lube the adjusters before you try to adjust them. Raise the back of the sled off the ground and do the same with the Rear Skid Front Shock as you did with the Front Suspension Springs (Full Soft). Adjust your Anti Bottoming Spring to Full Soft. Set your Rear Adjuster to Full Soft. Leave your Transfer Rods at the Factory Setting. As for Darting, install 1/4 shims under the spindels. Do a search and you will find out how to do the shims. This will just about eliminate all of your Darting. These settings should give you a very plush ride. I am a convert. Rode Ski-Doo's for many years and have never had a sled until this year that has handled and road as well as a Vector Period.

I am in the same age group as you. I just got back from a 1600 mile Quebec trip. I want my Legend V-1000 back. The Vector track noise is deafening,my feet are always cold,cold startup and run is difficult,hyfax wear is unacceptable,inside ski lift is bad,and to add insult to injury it backs over the flap. I also agree on all the points you made. I did get the ride better by adjusting but the seat is waaay to hard and does not break in. I can not believe anyone rode this sled on groomed trails before release. It must have been just computer designed. I too am more than disappointed with the Vector. If you want a turn the key and go ,cushy,warm,4 stroke,sled try a Legend V-1000.The only reason I tried a Vector was the extra H.P. I am going back next year.

Wow I can't believe people think these seats are hard. In my opinion my new Vector has the best seat out of any sled I've ever owned. All of my Doo friends made the same comment that they really like the seat. I have 1000 miles on my and the suspension I had to stiffen up because it was too soft. I've never had any issues with cold start up ether. It starts right up in -30 below. But i do agree with the flap. I back over it all the time. Hard to believe they let them out of the factory with trying reverse.

Heres a tip. Remove the anti-bottoming bumpers completely, it is OK to do this and you obviously do not need them. Set the rear springs in the softest pre-load position if you haven't already and give it a chance, the sled needs a good 1000 miles to loosen up, the seat will break down in time and the springs will take a set. The Vector is a great sled. Regarding hyfax, and noise have your dealer contact Yamaha for some input.

R

If you think the Vector seat sucks, you should try a Polaris. I think that Yamahas seats are awsome, far better than anything else.
Bigmac, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Doo rivaling Yamaha in quality and fit 'n finish. Doo has too many engine problems and the GSXs are too cold of a ride, in my opinion.
Hebi

maine cabin vector issues

I have an 05 rage and love it. I am 60 and also like a smooth ride,my last sled was a ski doo 800 gtse 1999 w/air ride suspension. This is the ultimate cush mobile. Anyway i think the guys have given you some great info . I had the same push in the corner problem and solved it by putting on woody's dually carbides,works great now. I found the seat to be comfortable as did my three other ski doo buddies. It's not a gtse seat but feels good. I ride 150 to 175 miles/day and love the yammi.The 20 mpg is also great as well as wonderful performance. I wouldn't trade for anything else on the market, they made a convert out of me. Good luck and don't throw in the towel to soon.

Regards Combat

Vector Ride

I would try Oak Hill's method. I too was somewhat surprised on my initial ride with the factory set up. I have tweeked mine to the point where it rides great, rails corners with no ski lift and tracks straighter than anything I've ever ridden. Put some time into it and you'll be surprised. Here's what I've done. I installed Woody's Dually's before I ever rode it as the OEM bars go in the spare box as they aren't worth much. Take some preload out of the front shocks. I took 3 turns out of the center shock, rear springs to soft and gave it a little more transfer. I also pulled the limiter straps up 2 holes. I have 1500 miles on it and now moved the rear springs to medium and may move the transfer back where it was as it seems to have softened up with some miles. My sled starts great, matter of fact it starts better than any of our smokers. I still have the original sliders on but they are ready for change. I don't know of a fix for the Ripsaw track noise.

Hebi said:
If you think the Vector seat sucks, you should try a Polaris. I think that Yamahas seats are awsome, far better than anything else.
Bigmac, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Doo rivaling Yamaha in quality and fit 'n finish. Doo has too many engine problems and the GSXs are too cold of a ride, in my opinion.
Hebi

Well, I confess I wasn't thinking of the engine quality control when I posted that...I was thinking more of their engineering design and assembly. Especially compared to the way Polaris tends to do it .. just slap that ol' component any old where it will fit..

Geezer- How much did it increase the steering effort when you pulled the strap up 2 holes?

The starting problem I have is that it will fire right up but then shuts right off. This happens 3-4 times at -20F till it will keep running. It happens less often the warmer it is. After it is running you must still play with the choke for 2 minutes. I checked the choke cable and it is pulling full open. Starts and runs perfect after cold. Maybe I am just spoiled from EFI. I personally will NEVER buy another sled with carbs. They are totally outdated technology and we as consumers should demand better from Yamaha.

az99 said:
The starting problem I have is that it will fire right up but then shuts right off. This happens 3-4 times at -20F till it will keep running. It happens less often the warmer it is. After it is running you must still play with the choke for 2 minutes. I checked the choke cable and it is pulling full open. Starts and runs perfect after cold.

Get your carbs synced, and I'd be willing to bet your hard starting issues will end.

Maybe I am just spoiled from EFI. I personally will NEVER buy another sled with carbs. They are totally outdated technology and we as consumers should demand better from Yamaha.

We have and Yamaha has answered for 06 with the introduction of EFI.

Limiter Straps

I didn't notice any real change but I hadn't rode in two weeks, definetly wasn't heavy feeling. I am going to go back one and see if still keeps the ski's down. By the way I checked my sliders and they didn't wear anymore on my last trip so it looks like they will go the entire season. I just assumed that since they were getting close that one more trip would finish them. Mine are wearing worse right in front of the rear wheels and they are fine at the bend of the rails. Seems strange.

Back