• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX? OPINIONS for a former polaris guy

ssflash454

Wells boys and girls i finally made the decision to switch to the yammie four stroke. No real complaints on my polaris sleds but they have nothing to offer anymore as i believe all they obviously care about is atv's now. I see yammie taking market share in the near future. my last sled was a modified xc800 (about 150 plus horsies),is an RTX going to be a good fit for me? Would like opinions from some of the Apex guys on the motor and comparisons from any former Polaris or other brand riders. Got two weeks before i plunk my snow check money down and it was between yammie and doo. With all the problems doo is having with motors and whatnot i am definitely going blue!! Thanks for any help you can give me. By the way, i am a 6-3,260 pound rider and that is kind of why i was leaning towards the RTX to keep weight down and sounds like it is set up stiff for my style of riding.

My xc800 handled like it was on rails, very good cornering. that may be the only thing you will miss, if you play with the rtx i'm sure you can get it close. Other than that you will never look back no more shake rattle & roll just gas & go. IMO the 1000 4 stroke efi is the best snowmobile engine EVER built

The engine comparision is like comparing a nascar against a formula one car. You will love the motor and how quickly this thing spins up. It's always in the power band!! Oh and did I mention the sound the motor makes when you put the throttle to the bar is awesome!! :}--- The only sound I like better is a liter bike or higher like a Busa coming toward you at say 150mph plus awesome doppler effect!!!

Polaris convert

See my post "spent a week on attack".
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=26712

I'm a Polaris convert also - well not totally I still own my Polaris. In a nut shell - it's a nice sled but it's not perfect by anymeans. Read my post and others on here and you'll see there's plenty of issues with the sled.

L8TR,

XCR5

issues

ya, i still have one of my Polaris' also. I also know there are some issues with the sled but it seems like Yamaha listens to them and addresses them and the issues i am hearing about are far from major things.

I believe the 07 RTX is the sled to get for 07. I am not convinced with the mono shock, shock wear on track, clunking transfer rod, poor calibration on shocks, poor slider wear and last years problems with welds and etc. I bought a gt this year and when the shock was ok it was nice. The shock was way to soft. I like the looks of the torsion spring set up in the rtx!

I just bought a 06 RTX and my old sled is a 2002 XC800. I did some work on my XC and it dynoed at 149 hp. Went riding last week with my son who rode my XC and also with a friend that has a big bore Ultra(800) with triple pipes and another guy with a F7. We lined them up several times and the RTX won every race. Did not have a lot of room to see what would happen on top end but clearly up to 100 mph the RTX was the King. I'm still not used to the way the RTX corners, I think I can ride my old XC faster but the ride is much nicer and I like the rider forward position of the RTX. Also the RTX only has 300 miles on it and supposedly it will get a little faster as it gets more miles on it.

very nice to know. I just dont want to go backwards powerwise and it sounds like i wont with the RTX ! I can deal with a little extra weight as i am big enough to throw it around anyway , but i think that torsion spring setup will better suit me and my riding style. Cant weight to get on one!!

Hey Flash,
I am coming over to Yammi too after 15 years of Polaris's. My most recent ride was an '04 800 ProX. It was piped, clutched and pretty fast. I had the exhaust valve issue last year and a ton of miles on it so it is time for new. Like you there isnt anything in their lineup that interests me. I never thought I would be interested in a 4 stroke, but I think Yammi is on it now! I am sick of looking for oil, buying oil, carrying oil and smelling like oil.

I started out by putting 55 miles on my buddys Nytro and then rode an Apex ER and an RTX for a combined 325 miles. That motor is the real deal. It ROCKS. I felt that without even adjusting anything the Apex was more solid in the corners than my Pro X, but at 180 lbs I was definatly a candidate for the big boy spring in the back. I bottomed it out frequently. The seat is more comfortable and tapers off for easy movement. There is more room on the footboards for standup riding and the standing postion fit me better than the ProX in its factory trim.

Like I said the only thing I have trouble with is deciding which skid frame is better suited to my style. Being a former Polaris guy I will put it this way, The Mono shock skid in the '06 is similar to an M-10 where you ride THROUGH the rough stuff and the torsion skid in the '07 seems more like the Edge skid where you launch off the rough stuff. Unfortunatly they arent offering a choice next year. If you buy an '07 RTX you will get the torsion skid. After riding the Nytro I think I prefer the Mono.....
But again I didn't ride a mono with the spring I needed and I really didn't get to explore the adjustments too much on either sled so there are undoubtedly gains to be made on both!

Hope this helps. I know I am still confused! :roll:

Went from a Poo 600 XC to an 03 RX-1 four years ago and have never looked back. Yes the Edge suspension was better than the 03 RX-1 and the XC did corner better, but everything else was so awesome it outweighed those two deficiencies. With the 06 rider forward models, it is not even close how much better these sleds are than what Poo has to offer.

Keep in mind there is more than 1 "big boy" spring out there and stock sleds are setup for the 170-180 rider with gear. Getting a stiffer spring made a huge difference to most guys.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm getting twirled up for this thing now. I will definitely need the big boy spring no matter what . At 260-265 i'm not exactly slim and trim. Cant wait to test out that new motor. I am hearing alot of flack from people that dont like the yellow and black combo on the RTX , i love it! Maybe the hardcore yammie guys just like the yammie blue and black, but i really like that color combo on that RTX. The only thing i may like better is that candy apple red on the apex gt.

Re: Polaris convert

xcr5 said:
See my post "spent a week on attack".
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=26712

I'm a Polaris convert also - well not totally I still own my Polaris. In a nut shell - it's a nice sled but it's not perfect by anymeans. Read my post and others on here and you'll see there's plenty of issues with the sled.

L8TR,

XCR5

No sled is perfect, that much is obvious. But the Yamaha imo is the next best thing to the rev in the bumps when set up properly. I don't know what you're comparing it to when you said it doesn't handle the bumps, perhaps you just aren't used to it, but I rode a couple XC's this year and felt like I was going to need to visit the chiropractor the next day if I rode it longer.

Was on the resovoir the other day and some F-7 guy comes up (after I had just smoked him) and says "I hear those things handle the bumps pretty good if you put a cat suspension in them." I just smiled. My buddy on his Rev laughed. He knows how they handle the bumps.

Apex

They handle most trail conditions just fine - however high speed deep rollers and launching the sled off the top of big rollers can send you to the chiropractor in a hurry. I do think it handled the chop better then my XC, just didn't come close to the XC in big bump/jump capabilities. The XC lands very soft without bottoming where the Attack bottomed hard! Yea, Yea, I know I need to go buy the "Big Boy" spring, SLP wear pads, shim my skis, dilute my coolant, add a rear heat exchanger, buy plastic washers and expanding foam, and a clutch kit - Then I'll be happy with the sled! Oh yea - need to grind a tooth off the speedo pick up since Yammi want's me to think I have a rocket ship under me.

Sorry for the sarcassim, but it's a first year sled and has some first year teething pains. Just tired of everyone making it sound like there's nothing better on the snow.

Motor is addictive, mid range pull is awesome, Real top end performance is just ok, handling has some quirks, rear skid is plush (maybe too plush), fuel milage is ok, handwarmers suck. That being said, I believe I'll be keeping the sled for awhile and giving a chance after some mods.

L8TR

Back