• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx1 exhaust removal

YammieMan

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX1
Hey guys, I have an 03 RX1. When I bought the sled it had an aftermarket exhaust on it. I just picked up a good used factory set up. Looks like I might need to take the fuel tank off to access that exhaust joint to remove it. Or is it better to access it under the sled? And then I'm assuming I would have to drop the track.. is this easy to do? Or am I getting in to deep... thanks for the help

Hey guys, I have an 03 RX1. When I bought the sled it had an aftermarket exhaust on it. I just picked up a good used factory set up. Looks like I might need to take the fuel tank off to access that exhaust joint to remove it. Or is it better to access it under the sled? And then I'm assuming I would have to drop the track.. is this easy to do? Or am I getting in to deep... thanks for the help
You don't have to remove the susp/ track. to remove the exhaust,you have to remove the rear exh covers,seat&either remove or prop up the back of the fuel tank.if you don't know if or when the exhaust donut gaskets have been done I would do them or at least check them&check pipes for any cracks when you have that much apart but if donuts are changed tank will need to be removed..The clamp bolts are usuallly rusty&will require spraydown with penetrant&good quality allen wrench/bits to avoid stripping,i also would use high temp neverseize on the bolts when you reassemble.their is a good write up with pictures on this site.search under maximum performance exhaust by Mr sled.this shows a step by step how to remove&reassemble.

You don't have to remove the susp/ track. to remove the exhaust,you have to remove the rear exh covers,seat&either remove or prop up the back of the fuel tank.if you don't know if or when the exhaust donut gaskets have been done I would do them or at least check them&check pipes for any cracks when you have that much apart but if donuts are changed tank will need to be removed..The clamp bolts are usuallly rusty&will require spraydown with penetrant&good quality allen wrench/bits to avoid stripping,i also would use high temp neverseize on the bolts when you reassemble.their is a good write up with pictures on this site.search under maximum performance exhaust by Mr sled.this shows a step by step how to remove&reassemble.
Thanks brotherdan. I know the exhaust gaskets were done before I bought it.. so Its only the rear part of the exhaust that needs to be removed. So you are saying th hat I jus th need th o remove the rear fuel tank bolts? How do I get at the clamps to loosen it? I will check out the link you requested. Thanks for your help so far

Can't find tha site anywhere here. (Maximum exhaust performance )

Go to home page,then down to rx general,then techs&mods,scroll down to the hyperlink by member convert.click on this&,it will take you to a tech page for atv,pwc &snowmobile.select snowmobile at top left,then engine,scroll down&you will see it

Thanks brotherdan. I know the exhaust gaskets were done before I bought it.. so Its only the rear part of the exhaust that needs to be removed. So you are saying th hat I jus th need th o remove the rear fuel tank bolts? How do I get at the clamps to loosen it? I will check out the link you requested. Thanks for your help so far
The clamp bolts will be accessed by removing 2 rubber plugs on the top of the tunnel under the fuel tank,i have pics i can provide if you are unable to locate the exhaust removal& install info I mentioned

The clamp bolts will be accessed by removing 2 rubber plugs on the top of the tunnel under the fuel tank,i have pics i can provide if you are unable to locate the exhaust removal& install info I mentioned
Ok I will try to look for that page. You mentioned that I might be able to get at those bolts without taking the whole tank off and when I get access to those boats is there a trick to removing them? Should I eat them up or put lots of penetrating fluid on it. I'm nervous as I dont want to strip those bolts

Ok I will try to look for that page. You mentioned that I might be able to get at those bolts without taking the whole tank off and when I get access to those boats is there a trick to removing them? Should I eat them up or put lots of penetrating fluid on it. I'm nervous as I dont want to strip those bolts
If you Google yamaha rx1 maximum perf exhaust install it's the first one that comes up,yes you can just prop the back of the tank up with a piece of wood etc (after removing tank mtg bolts) I used a very good penetrant&started spraying a day or two before I tried to remove the clamp bolts,definetly have to have good quality tool (I used a metric long hex bit on a ratchet) I also replaced the clamp bolts when I reinstalled as the originals were pretty rusty & I may want to take it back apart sometime.did you get new gaskets?

If you Google yamaha rx1 maximum perf exhaust install it's the first one that comes up,yes you can just prop the back of the tank up with a piece of wood etc (after removing tank mtg bolts) I used a very good penetrant&started spraying a day or two before I tried to remove the clamp bolts,definetly have to have good quality tool (I used a metric long hex bit on a ratchet) I also replaced the clamp bolts when I reinstalled as the originals were pretty rusty & I may want to take it back apart sometime.did you get new gaskets?
Awesome! Ya I messaged Mr Sled and found the link.. I did exactly as explained and got it off. So I'm excited about that. I was going to just replaced the gaskets, but I'm wondering how the heck to reach that! There is no space between the tunnel and track.. any suggestions?

Awesome! Ya I messaged Mr Sled and found the link.. I did exactly as explained and got it off. So I'm excited about that. I was going to just replaced the gaskets, but I'm wondering how the heck to reach that! There is no space between the tunnel and track.. any suggestions?
If your just changing the muffler the gaskets go inside the muffler pipe before you install it,the gaskets are pretty robust so unless they are broken apart they can be reused,you mentioned the donuts had been done so you won't have to remove the 4 headpipes

Ya, ok when I took the rear pipe off, The gaskets stayed on the pipe, they didnt come with when I pulled it off. So its hard to tell. The donuts have been replaced. But the rear pipe gaskets is hard to tell as they stayed on.

they normally do that. they don't like to come out in one piece either. they will stay in the old silencer. I would replace with new if the old ones are not in the new silencer. when removing the silencer and putting it back together they can be reused most of the time but not when removed and put in a different silencer

So how does a guy remove those gaskets. There is no way to access them. The space between the tunnel and track is minimal, thanks

So how does a guy remove those gaskets. There is no way to access them. The space between the tunnel and track is minimal, thanks
Yes the only way to remove or replace the muffler gaskets is by removing the muffler.unless the used muffler you got had gaskets already installed that were in really good shape they should be replaced before you put the muffler back in.otherwise it's gotta come back apart

I finally managed to get those gaskets off after 3 hours of hell! Knuckles and fingers are scratched to #*$&@!!!

Back