• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx1 oil change/overheat

searsnathan

Just so I'm clear.. I'm new to the site, just got my first rx1.Pumped!! I changed my oil last night.(without coming to this site first) Emptied the tank and the engine block. Is it ok that I added all 3 quarts through the engine and not the tank? Also, I just picked it up last week. at first i notice it was leaking a small amount of coolant when i would start it under the engine. after a little bit of investigating i found the hose it was leaking from and repaired it. prior to the oil change i ran it for about a half hour i notice the check engine light came on and hot coolant signal came on. I did loose some coolant in the process but tank still seems pretty full. any help would be apreciated.
Thanks

don,t add oil through the engine just add into the oil tank , as far as coolant if you drained the coolant out for the repair you will have to bleed the air out , lift back of sled run it and bleed the air from the tube in the back (there is a bleed screw on it ) the collant tank has a line for hot & cold it is hard to see but it is there.

I also for good measure run the sled into a ditch which puts the engine higher than the rear coolers. Sit there for a moment go around and do that a few times to get some trapped air if any to come out at the resevoir. Which hose was leaking?

Did you drive the sled for the 1/2 hour before the oil change or did you just let it sit and idle. The engine will heat up if the heat exchangers are not getting any/enough snow. If you leave it idle long enough the warning lights will come on and the engine will eventualy shut down. There is a safety interloc that will shut the engine down if the temperature gets too high so it won't damage it. I know this first hand as it has happened with both my rx1 and my wifes attack. If I can remember correctly there is a similar safety interlock that does the same thing with low oil.
As far as adding the oil to the engine, I don't know. I have always added it to the tank.

if your oil is now in your tank, then no worries, I usually put one down the top and two in the tank, but you better believe I catch hell on here for doing it that way. Well its been 9 years now, no problems, and my old girl is one of the few 03's that doesn't burn oil. A little anti-freeze in the reserve tank is normal, if you topped it off recently it will leak down to very little in the tank.

These sleds like to take there time when warming up, but always try to let them run for around 8 to 10 minutes each time you start them or may foul your plugs up.

Very true on the anti freeze being very low in the reservoir that's where it will end up no matter how many time you top it off it will just spit it out.

Indy said:
if your oil is now in your tank, then no worries, I usually put one down the top and two in the tank, but you better believe I catch hell on here for doing it that way.

Na you won't catch hell for it but its pointless won't hurt or help, it will just get pumped to the tank where you could have poured it to begin with. LOL

Some 03's burn oil some don't! If your trying to imply that your does not burn oil because you dump some in the motor then I will counter with 18,000 miles and I don't know how many oil changes and I never dump any in the motor, it doesn't burn oil either. Only need to dump in the motor after a rebuild. Thats how the confusion started. I don't think this urban legend will die because it started with the RX's and is still going strong! Mostly because it won't hurt anything so no problem right!

Dumping three in the motor would have filled the block up and the crankshaft would have been flailing around in it. Biggest problem would have been no oil in tank so no oil pressure till oil got from motor to tank. Wonder how long that took? Maybe the hose still had oil in it that feeds the pump!

Big NO NO not putting any in the tank!

Bigfoot, I am not implying anything, just letting the poster know that he didnt cos any problems to worry about.

I am not a fighter.

Indy said:
Bigfoot, I am not implying anything, just letting the poster know that he didnt cos any problems to worry about.

I am not a fighter.

Thats good because I'm to old and slow to run away! The internet is a funny place and the typed word sometimes does a poor job of showing off ones personality. Instead it tends to create misunderstanding. i like you and many others just want to help others out, thats what this site is for and why I joined it long time ago!

No worry's Man! :4STroke:

Having met and spent time with both of you, I'll say this. You both have a similar dry mildly sarcastic sense of humor, or for you Charlie, humor lol!

Viper_Dave said:
Having met and spent time with both of you, I'll say this. You both have a similar dry mildly sarcastic sense of humor, or for you Charlie, humor lol!

Ahh can we all hold hands and sing "cume by ya"! I got tears in my eye's. Been to long Dave!

Sasquatch said:
Viper_Dave said:

Ahh can we all hold hands and sing "cume by ya"! I got tears in my eye's. Been to long Dave!

lol. I remember meeting Viper Dave, and I can't recall if I've meet Sascrotch.

Back