• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx1 starter install question

Lonerider

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
04 rx1, 05 Warrior 06 Attak-w/yamacharger, 07 Attak-Supercharged, 17 Sidewinder TD power trail
been a while since I worked on a rx1, need to replace a starter in a RX1 of my sons riding buddy. They pulled out the old started and cannot get the new one in. I looked in the service manual & can't find anything helpful?
Q- will it slide in or do I need to pull the stator cover to install it & line up the starter clutch gear? Ive changed one or 2 before, (years ago) For some reason I remember ordering a stator cover gasket. Not sure if it was to do the starter or stator?

I trie for atleast a hour to get it in turning the gear a tiny bit each time trying to line it up with the clutch gear inside. I lubed the O ring, it just will not go in the last 1/4- 3/8 inch.

Q- do I need to just give it a hit to get it in or is it the gears are not lined up?

I have a stator gasket if I need to pull the cover. Thanks Merry Christmas Sidewinder on!!

been a while since I worked on a rx1, need to replace a starter in a RX1 of my sons riding buddy. They pulled out the old started and cannot get the new one in. I looked in the service manual & can't find anything helpful?
Q- will it slide in or do I need to pull the stator cover to install it & line up the starter clutch gear? Ive changed one or 2 before, (years ago) For some reason I remember ordering a stator cover gasket. Not sure if it was to do the starter or stator?

I trie for atleast a hour to get it in turning the gear a tiny bit each time trying to line it up with the clutch gear inside. I lubed the O ring, it just will not go in the last 1/4- 3/8 inch.

Q- do I need to just give it a hit to get it in or is it the gears are not lined up?

I have a stator gasket if I need to pull the cover. Thanks Merry Christmas Sidewinder on!!

Based on what you are telling me with slowly rotating the starter bit by bit and not meshing, I hate to say it but if the gear shifted, you may have to pull the mag cover.

could he not get someone to rotate the clutch counter clockwise while he hold pressure on the starter to get it to go in? never had to change one myself and wondered if that would work.

Back