• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

schmit brothers clutch kits

Country
USA
Snowmobile
srviper and apex
ive done quite a bit of searching, most recommend the ulmer clutch kit but i was looking at the stage 2 sbr with the overdrive helix, does it really add 4 mph? also what about the primary machining to gain another 4mph? do they really gain u 8mph? anybody running there setups have and input? I also plan on putting uni pods in the air box lid. Thanks for your help guys!

I have the smb comfort clutch set up. I started last year with the first part of the clutch kit which was a spring and rollers. I wanted the clutch to engage a little lower than stock and it does that. The rollers stop the clutching from over revving the engine. I couldn't afford to get the custom helix last year but I just installed it this year. With the gearing of a GT phazer and custom helix SMB said they saw 100mph on the dream meter so real speed maybe 90mph. I haven't been able to ride the sled yet but I was going to report on the clutching once we get some snow to go riding. I'm curious to see what my top speed will be now. SMB has very good customer service and I like that they specialize in 4-stroke yamaha sleds. They have some pretty cool stuff for us.

Let me know how you like the new helix and if its worth the pricw tag. Have you had anything on the primary machining?

yamahabuyer said:
Let me know how you like the new helix and if its worth the pricw tag. Have you had anything on the primary machining?

No I haven't had the primary machined to get more MPH I figured I would wait and see what the complete clutch kit will do for me now. Take it one step at a time. Plus I would really like to get there custome sway bar. Chris at SMB said it makes a huge difference on the handling of the sled. He designed it for his own ill handling Phazer.

Chris is top notch, he knows his stuff. I have his original clutch kit before comfort and stage 2. Very pleased and I'm sure the new versions may be in my future.
Vermonter I know the price tag on the sway bar is steep but I also have one of his original sway bars and it is probably the best mod I did to my phazer. Cornering is greatly improved and sidehilling is much easier. It takes a ton of chassis roll away which gives you a much more stable feel in all situations. I got all my stuff from chris 3 or 4 years ago and have had no issues with anything. That includes air box pods, single pipe, clutch kit, shim kit, sway bar, tunnel protectors, block off plate, anti bottom kit, and I'm probably missing something. Yeah I'm a poster child for schmidt bros. but you can't argue with top quality parts that do what is advertised, with a knowledgable guy that really bleeds yamaha snowmobiling.

Vermonter said:
I have the smb comfort clutch set up. I started last year with the first part of the clutch kit which was a spring and rollers. I wanted the clutch to engage a little lower than stock and it does that. The rollers stop the clutching from over revving the engine. I couldn't afford to get the custom helix last year but I just installed it this year. With the gearing of a GT phazer and custom helix SMB said they saw 100mph on the dream meter so real speed maybe 90mph. I haven't been able to ride the sled yet but I was going to report on the clutching once we get some snow to go riding. I'm curious to see what my top speed will be now. SMB has very good customer service and I like that they specialize in 4-stroke yamaha sleds. They have some pretty cool stuff for us.
You can also add heavier wts to the heel of the primary weights to lower the revs.

Vermonter I know the price tag on the sway bar is steep but I also have one of his original sway bars and it is probably the best mod I did to my phazer. Cornering is greatly improved and sidehilling is much easier. It takes a ton of chassis roll away which gives you a much more stable feel in all situations. I got all my stuff from chris 3 or 4 years ago and have had no issues with anything. That includes air box pods, single pipe, clutch kit, shim kit, sway bar, tunnel protectors, block off plate, anti bottom kit, and I'm probably missing something. Yeah I'm a poster child for schmidt bros. but you can't argue with top quality parts that do what is advertised, with a knowledgable guy that really bleeds yamaha snowmobiling.[/quote]

I would love to get the sway bar but I don't know if I can come up with that kind of money this time of year.

I think this started out being about clutches but anyway about the swaybar. I got it last year and although it is an improvement over stock, for me it does not provide the wow factor that I expected based on their advertising. Because it had more bite on the skis, it did allow me to put more tension on my front spring in the rear suspension, therefore, reducing the bottoming out at the front of the track. There was some improvement in the body roll and stability and there may have been other benefits that I can't think of now but it is not what I expected. For example, it seems to make the front end stiffer and less responsive to body english. As with any change there is always some trade off I guess.

bombapolayamaha well if you get tired of the sway bar let me know and I'll give it a try. Yeah this did start out as a clutch post and some how we got side tracked to sway bars.

all in all its still good info we are getting. IS the stage 2 sbr worth the extra money? We just got a bunch of snow so I would like to get my clutch kit ordered.

I would say its worth the money.

More tuneability if you are into that.

I have the Ulmer kit and can't seem to get the clutching right. Adding weight to the lower hole on my weights helped, but I am either hitting the Rev limiter on take off or not revving high enough on top...

But overall I am happy with the way it drives and it was easy to install

yamahabuyer said:
all in all its still good info we are getting. IS the stage 2 sbr worth the extra money? We just got a bunch of snow so I would like to get my clutch kit ordered.

I will let ya know how it works out for me once we get some snow to ride it. I'm really curious what my top speed will be with the custome helix. Because the primary clutching I did lowered my top speed due to the fact the engine doesn't over rev now.

yamahabuyer said:
When I installed the Stage II helix I also cleaned the secondary so I changed two variables; so I don't know how much difference each factor made. I found a big improvement in quickness when going from start and also accelerating but I don't think there was much improvement in top speed. I also changed the primary spring and put heavier wts in the heels to lower the engagement - but that was done later. So yes, it was worth the $ for me.

When I installed the Stage II helix I also cleaned the secondary...

That was one of the biggest performance "mods" I ever did...LOL

I gained a lot of acceleration the first time I cleaned it..man was it BAD

I don't know whats up but this clutch seems to get dirtier than any other sled I have.

I clean it at least once a season now.

Oh and not to start any arguements but geez, my 91 Phazer II (oh yeah, it was one of the white/red ones! :Rockon:) required far less maintenance overall compared to this one.

And with Boyesen reeds and a Bender single pipe it was faster on top end. Miss those days for sure... ;)!

Back