• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sd-08 Code, only different?

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I know that there are a lot of sd-08 posts with Sidewinders not going into reverse, but I think that this one is different than any of those that I have found. If someone has already posted an answer, I apologize for the rehash.

We were out with my buddy's 2019 SW LTX-LE for the first trip of the season, and after getting gas, the sd-08 code came up with the "R" showing on the display and the beeper going off. My buddy shifted back and forth between forward and reverse, and the actuator worked, shifting between the gears, but the "beep, beep," the code, and the "R" remained on the dash. We stopped at a dealer, and he said, maybe moisture, so ride it and see if it goes away. We did about 100 miles and put the sled away for the night without any change. The following morning, same thing, it was still shifting between forward and reverse, but the beeper, code, and the "R" on the display were still there.

We did about 5 miles, and the dash display went out. We replaced the 25 amp fuse, and went about 2 minutes before blowing the fuse again. We tried one more, with the same result.

I am thinking that it would be quite a coincidence if the two issues, the sd-08 code and the fuse-blowing, were not related, but maybe they aren't. Has anyone encountered an sd-08 code where the forward and reverse still work, but the code and the beeper won't go away? Is it causing the fuses to blow?

The sled is at the dealer's right now, but it will be at least two weeks before he can get to it, so if anybody has ideas for a fix, we would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

I would check the wires going into the sensor. Perhaps one came loose out of the harness/clip and is shorting out.

Did you get the reverse beeper figured out?

Mine is doing the same thing minus the fuse blowing. Fwd and Rev work but the beeper and the R on the dash will not stop. If I shift to reverse I get the dreaded sd-08 but reverse does work. I don't even have to start the sled for the beeping to start. The sec you turn the key to ACC it starts beeping before it's even running.

The dealer said that there were exposed wires, and after he fixed it everything worked great for the next two days. The third day he got the code again and reverse worked only intermittently. It’s back with the dealer now.

Yikes that's not good. I actually heard from my dealer today and sounds like the same thing. They said rubbed wires and have a replacement harness on order. Now I'm worried that it's going to happen after the wires are fixed lol. We'll see. Thanks for the update.

I don't think that they replaced his harness, I think they just taped the wires. A new harness should be better. I don't know exactly where the issue was, but there are some threads on here that talk about the wires chafing under the fuse box, and suggesting that a covering be added to protect them. I am definitely going to look at my sled and see if there is any chafing going on.

Well good news for me at least lol. The harness hasn't come in yet but I picked the sled up anyways so that I can use it for the weekend. I guess the wire issue is actually that the dealer got the 3wire harness that goes to the reverse sensor caught under the metal plate when they put the actuator back on. They released it and it is no longer beeping. I did not remove the wire loom to see what the wires actually look like. I'm just gonna send it and if I have an issue I'll strip the cover off and tape her up trail side. So you may want to have them check to make sure that wire isn't pinched. It looks like it could be easy to pinch if you are now paying attention when putting the plate on.

Back