• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SD12. Dead

Voltage regulator possibly, i have seen corosion (rust) between stator generating coils, lighting coils, the "air gap" between them and magnets in flywheel on small engines cause problems, pulled flywheel emery clothed ends of coils and inside flywheel and have returned voltage and spark....just a thought.
Maybe voltage reg. But, 998 stator runs in engine oil so there can't be corrosion.

Well I charged the battery back up and sd-8 power system delivery stayed on and now sd-12, 1600 and 1603 are back on and it won't start. Called the dealer and found out that I have a 4 year warranty that expires this Thursday, I thought that I had three years but it was 3 years on top of the standard one year, even the dealer didn't understand the extra year but it's written in the contract, He wants me to try a new battery first and go from there, I'll report back what's the outcome is.

If he cannot load test the existing battery and prove its bad, I would NOT take his word on just a new battery. IOW if the new battery goes in and problems go away temporarily, you will be right back where you are now with power issues in the near future. To make sure the battery is the problem, make sure he checks both the voltage regulator (tests earlier in the thread) and voltage output when it is running. A bad regulator won't produce good voltage. If the regulator is bad, no amount of battery swap is going to help. If the stator is bad, same thing and it will probably blow the voltage regulator at some point and continue to kill batteries.

SD-12 is a very specific error that has nothing to do with power delivery. 1600/03 are just complaining about the handwarmer fuse (blown). Your previous SD-46 and SD-8 are all power system problems, this points to a bad regulator or stator. The fact that you have power delivery errors, a dead battery, and pickup coil issues all point at a stator problem as it is the only common element to all of these issues. The handwarmer is a resistive load, as voltage drops, current goes up, this is going to blow your fuse. All of this centers around the fact that the sled is reporting power issues and yes, your battery is suffering but I don't think its your battery.

Last edited:
If the crank sensor is toast it will just crank and crank and wont start.. You can test resistance on the crank sensor. Wires up front in the nose.. Sorry I don't remember exactly which ones but we tested for resistance and it was obvious that it was toast. Service manual should tell you the wires and resistance your looking for. Only took like 10 minutes to find out the crank sensor was issue.. ONLY symptom I had was the night before on a ride it started kind of funny and I noticed it(I would describe it as a hiccup).. Next morning no go no start.

Well I bought a battery at the dealer and got some specs from the service manager, crank sensor should be 446-545 ohms and with the engine cranking I should see 3-5 volts AC. I measured 454.4 mega ohms this time and 0 volts AC. Dropped it at the dealers after hours last night and haven't heard back yet. I'm so glad that I didn't tune it this year as they said warranty would be cancelled. They did offer to tune it after it's fixed but I'm not crazy on their tune vendor.

s they said warranty would be cancelled. They did offer to tune it after it's fixed but I'm not crazy on their tune vendor.
So if they tune it the warranty is okay? That's kind of of tacky IMO. Hope they get it figured out for you.. Let us know what they find..

The warranty expires today but if they tune it or you have someone else's tune they cancel the warranty anyways. That was the first thing they will do when they look at the sled is to plug it in and see if there is a tune and also to check all the codes. Once they find the problem I have to wait on Yamaha to ok any warranty work. The only things that I have done is I installed a catch can and I installed the Tapp knockout kit.

Well picked up the sled today from the dealer, Yamaha covered the crank sensor/stator but they said that the oil, oil filter and gasket wasn't covered. So I was charged $149.51 Canadian for that, sort of nickel and dime by Yamaha but I dodged a bullet in the nick of time. Only problem is black and gold SRX is on sale now with rebates, low interest and 4 year warranty, decisions decisions.

Well picked up the sled today from the dealer, Yamaha covered the crank sensor/stator but they said that the oil, oil filter and gasket wasn't covered. So I was charged $149.51 Canadian for that, sort of nickel and dime by Yamaha but I dodged a bullet in the nick of time. Only problem is black and gold SRX is on sale now with rebates, low interest and 4 year warranty, decisions decisions.

Wasn't there someone recently trying to get over $30G for one of those!

Well picked up the sled today from the dealer, Yamaha covered the crank sensor/stator but they said that the oil, oil filter and gasket wasn't covered. So I was charged $149.51 Canadian for that, sort of nickel and dime by Yamaha but I dodged a bullet in the nick of time.
IMO....you can't change the oil too often anyway so not a bad thing.

Back