• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sd8 - No reverse

fourload

TY 4 Stroke Master
Last Friday my sled was parked in my trailer overnight. Trailered up to a trail and no reverse or beeper when trying to back it up off the trailer.I tried numerous times shutting the sled in between trying. Also tried moving forward slightly.
It was about 0 out and sled was all frosted up. Dragged the fat pig off the trailer and rode 15 miles and tried reverse and it worked fine. Could the reverse relay have frozen up?

Last Friday my sled was parked in my trailer overnight. Trailered up to a trail and no reverse or beeper when trying to back it up off the trailer.I tried numerous times shutting the sled in between trying. Also tried moving forward slightly.
It was about 0 out and sled was all frosted up. Dragged the fat pig off the trailer and rode 15 miles and tried reverse and it worked fine. Could the reverse relay have frozen up?
Yes it can! I seen it happen. How long did you let it warm up? I run mine into the 170's before I even engage the sled. Then it's on a stand up into the 180's

Tbd reason I ask is the only time I seen the relay freeze was a buddy didn't warm his sled up enough IMO. Last thing he does is put it in reverse and parks it. Pushed reverse button to get it back into drive. Shuts sled off. Did exact same thing your saying except it wouldn't start at all until relay was warmed. The sled thought it was in reverse

The sled was only up to maybe 100degrees when I was trying reverse. These relays suck! Thank God I still have a strong back at 55 years old!!

Yea they can be bastards in cold weather. 3900 miles and no issues with relays. Yes they are kinda heavy to be dragging around. Maybe let it warm up a smidge more. Especially first run of the day after sitting all night.

Yea they can be bastards in cold weather. 3900 miles and no issues with relays. Yes they are kinda heavy to be dragging around. Maybe let it warm up a smidge more. Especially first run of the day after sitting all night.
I’ve had the same challenge when cold and found increasing my belt deflection slightly eliminated the problem. When cold my clutches were dragging slightly and the extra tension on the driveline wasn’t allowing reverse to engage and throwing the same code. One warmed up the problem went away. Maybe not your problem however something to consider and easy adjustment assuming you have a secondary or primary belt adjuster..

My sled will do this to if in a trailer over night, I think it’s condensation. It will also kill your battery quick if it’s warm one day and then bellow zero the condensation freezes all the relays! Just like stated above, I’ve started to let the sled warm up all the way to 160+ and no problems since.

I cant prove it, but the only time I have every had an issue starting my sled is after leaving it in an enclosed trailer overnight after riding it. I think the melting snow creates a fair bit of frost and it does bad things. Just look on the floor of the trailer at the ice that collected over night.

Have had this issue on my Viper several times this year. I think it can also be moisture freezing in the thorottle block connection at the button, or at the actuator itself. I even took the reverse relay in overnight at the Giveaway ride and when installed in morning, still no reverse until sled gets good and warm, then fine. Never a code either, so it's like the juice isn't getting to the actuator. I ride powder a lot and it gets everywhere. I am guessing it's getting into connection at actuator. :dunno:

Back