• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary Clutch Bearing Change Out

So the shaft just re-inserts into the chain case side bearing - not driving ?

Thanks for the detailed description.
MS
Yep exactly! I'm changing my chain case bearing because I have a bad seal but I ordered all original parts from my local dealer, it's not worth the headaches trying to get parts at the local bearing shop, I called and the seals are difficult to match and for me I would just rather get OEM and it's done and you know it'll all fit. All the seals and bearings to do the chain case including the o-rings and bearing on secondary side was about $230 Canadian plus oil! I already did the drive shaft bearing where the speedo sensor is last year I'll look at it but most likely won't touch it this year!

I agree, the oem bearings are usually NTN and are good quality. Shopping around for bearings can leave you with bearings not suitable for their intended use.

Changed the primary clutch side PTO bearing last summer. Looked into getting it from another source but when I gave them the specs the bearing would have to meet: high temp, high rpm 9000rpm - they indicated their skf bearing was not rated for that application. Not even close.

Its funny how the cost of parts adds up eh? I am not surprised. Every year there is a significant dollar amount in new parts that has gone into the sled to get it ready again.
This season was supposed to just be an overhaul of chain case - BUT - I damaged the suspension on a big bump last winter - instead - I have replaced a skid rail, centre shock, oil tank, and collector pipe in the exhaust. Still haven't got to the chaincase yet to replace chain, gears and all bearings. Yikes.

MS

I have used the all balls kit and no issues so far after 3500 miles. The kit is $65 USA from Denis Kirk and includes seals. You need to select kit for your year!!
Bearing kit.PNG

Pete

Herndonp,
There are two bearings on the lower chaincase side. Why does this kit only show a total of 4 bearings when there should be 5?

MS

The kit in the picture is just for the driveshaft not the jackshaft that is a different kit. Both kits together are $100 USA. Here is a link. Select your year and make for correct kits

http://www.allballsracing.com

Pete

Maybe you could clarify, I have looked at the parts schematic.
Drive shaft - one bearing on the clutch side / two bearings in the chaincase side.
Jack shaft - one bearing on the clutch side / one bearing on the chaincase side.

What am I missing - why are there 3 bearings in this jackshaft kit?
Thanks
MS

The only thing I see is they give you the upper and lower chaincase (open bearings) and the ( sealed bearing) on secondary clutch side. Probably explains the 2 seals and o-ring for chaincase.

Pete

Hey Pete,
My summer project is over. Replaced the chain in the chaincase which meant all the gears had to be replaced, along with seals and all bearings. This will likely be the last over haul to get me through another season or two before I move on to a newer chassis.

Things went well. I have had the chaincase apart to install a new track but never replaced all the bearings before. Its a tough job to do without a press, and a blind hole puller (for the upper jack shaft bearing in the chaincase). I found using the heat gun to hear up the housing on the bulk head or the chaincase cover made getting the bearings out, much easier.

Glad I did it. Little more expensive than I thought but what do you do.

When reinstalling, getting the reverse gear linkage to slide into place was tricky but managed it.
MS

Hey Pete,
My summer project is over. Replaced the chain in the chaincase which meant all the gears had to be replaced, along with seals and all bearings. This will likely be the last over haul to get me through another season or two before I move on to a newer chassis.

Things went well. I have had the chaincase apart to install a new track but never replaced all the bearings before. Its a tough job to do without a press, and a blind hole puller (for the upper jack shaft bearing in the chaincase). I found using the heat gun to hear up the housing on the bulk head or the chaincase cover made getting the bearings out, much easier.

Glad I did it. Little more expensive than I thought but what do you do.

When reinstalling, getting the reverse gear linkage to slide into place was tricky but managed it.
MS

That's great MS!! Snows coming before you know it.

Pete

Back