• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary clutch venture mp

Nice work! And good find on that clip. Have you installed the clutch yet? I wonder if the reduced diameter and smaller clip will need a thin washer.
I installed it shortly after I took it apart. I had a trip planed in North Bay. I should have taken a picture of the finish product. I was in a bit of a hurry. I followed the specs for the lock and the fit was perfect. No need for washers. The clutch worked flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I installed it shortly after I took it apart. I had a trip planed in North Bay. I should have taken a picture of the finish product. I was in a bit of a hurry. I followed the specs for the lock and the fit was perfect. No need for washers. The clutch worked flawlessly.

The lock is slightly smaller in diameter by a few .000 of an inch. Just enough to clean up the bottom of the groove. The lock is almost double the width and double the strength. No worries about making adjustments and servicing the clutch. It is way more solid. Nice easy mod.

So from this, we can assume that the clutch failures are due to the beveling of the end of the shaft where the clip rests and the flimsy clip. Next time I take it apart, I'll inspect this area for sure. I think I'm coming due for another set of buttons.

Wish I had a lathe. So many things you can do with it. Did you have to take the whole reverse gear shaft out? Were you able to reuse your old clutch?

Yeah, I was also supposed to go to North Bay this weekend but they shut down their trails during the last rain. Maybe we can meet up next season?

So from this, we can assume that the clutch failures are due to the beveling of the end of the shaft where the clip rests and the flimsy clip. Next time I take it apart, I'll inspect this area for sure. I think I'm coming due for another set of buttons.

Wish I had a lathe. So many things you can do with it. Did you have to take the whole reverse gear shaft out? Were you able to reuse your old clutch?

Yeah, I was also supposed to go to North Bay this weekend but they shut down their trails during the last rain. Maybe we can meet up next season?
Yes the flimsy clip spins on the shaft and compromises the groove. Knowing how well this turned out I would not take the chance. Any good machinist would be able to do this. I would do it for free just for the love of the sport.

I was able to re-use all the old parts. To mount the sheave in the lathe I cut a mounting groove on the outside of the sheave and used a live center on the shaft to hold it from moving and give it a proper axis. It is less than an hour start to Finnish.
The cost is minimal. Under 5 dollars for the lock. The piece of mind is priceless.

Ya let me know next year when we get going again. We are in your area sometimes for sure. Cheers.

I'm just getting back into fall maintenance and noticed your question. sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did install and actually had a good couple of trips with the new clip. No washer needed and it worked flawlessly. The new clip has more then double the staying power and is a great solution. I will be disassembling the clutch to look at it again soon and will be making some minor spring adjustments. I need it to downshift more aggressively to make me like it more but i have full confidence in the new clip and zero confidence in the OEM solution....thats for sure.

Back