• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

semi closed tunnel block off ?

yamafreak said:
only took about a hour. droped the rear of the suspention and you have a bunch of room. just another reason to go out in the garage and drink beer.[/b]

LOL I like your thinking ;)!

LazyBastard said:
If the purpose of this is to stop the ice buildup, would it be better to just remove the tunnel protectors? With nothing for the ice to stick to, it won't build up. Saves a bunch of weight too (instead of adding weight).

I've considered that but thought I'd try the close off plate first. It only adds maybe a pound to the weight which is a lot less than what the ice build up weighs.

LazyBastard said:
I would be somewhat concerned about heat. The exhaust is somewhat cooled by snow and airflow.

If you get enough buildup doesn't the snow and ice start to insulate the exhaust system preventing heat from escaping?

I found this in an old post. It's an extreme case of ice buildup but shows how bad it can get.

Attachments

• ice buildup.jpg
    ice buildup.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 152
i'm heading up over valentines weekend we will see the results. If I remember I'll bring my camera and take pics

Could you really compress enough to bury studs into the plate?

Im considering this after last weekend... My xtx gave birth to a 5lb slab of ice that wedged between the track and tunnel and stopped the sled dead in it's tracks!!! I had to back up to "deliver" the critter!

I dont want to solve one rare problem and create another...

i had the same problem I was up north and bottomed out the sled real bad. then I heard a bunch of noise and sure enough big old chunk of ice. I put it in reverse and I was proud dad of a big old chunk of ice.

grizztracks said:
I have a sheet of aluminum ordered and will be doing some sort of close off along the protectors but I have a tunnel heat exchanger to consider. I like the idea of a partial close off but would like to see some pictures of ice build up with this setup.

Grizz do a search I have pics after a long ride and so does arteex. I can't remember what thread it was on. If I find it I'll repost it. Are tunnel enclosers a alittle diffrent than his. but I think anything is better than nothing.

grizztracks said:
LazyBastard said:
I would be somewhat concerned about heat. The exhaust is somewhat cooled by snow and airflow.

If you get enough buildup doesn't the snow and ice start to insulate the exhaust system preventing heat from escaping?

I found this in an old post. It's an extreme case of ice buildup but shows how bad it can get.

That's why its nice to remove the tunnel protectors altogether.

I don't like the idea of removing the protectors. I'm running a tunnel heat exchanger and they offer some protection for it. I'm also concerned that adding a block off plate might interfer with the additional cooling that the exchanger adds so I'm planning on doing a partial close off. I have my sled apart replacing exhaust donuts so I think I'll start on the plate install tonight.

I´m about to close my tunnel completely on XTX and its a round viper exhuast that is taking place in the tunnel. I have removed the studprotectors and i have about 4 " to the track from exhaust, hope thats enough !? :dunno: we will see ;)! .
I will post picture of the build when im done with it. sry for the bad english :) "from sweden"

grizztracks said:
I don't like the idea of removing the protectors. I'm running a tunnel heat exchanger and they offer some protection for it. I'm also concerned that adding a block off plate might interfer with the additional cooling that the exchanger adds so I'm planning on doing a partial close off. I have my sled apart replacing exhaust donuts so I think I'll start on the plate install tonight.

MTX heat exchanger? MTX models do NOT have any protectors! I removed them on mine.. Great thing to do.. Alot less places for Ice to stick!

Almost everyone over here in Sweden does it to allow a 1,75" track.. And NO problems with MTX tunnel heat exchanger.. Alatalo is one of those that run MTX exchanger without protectors...

You could still mont some sort of plate but I would remove the protectors if you are not running studs..

Has anyone tried heat wraping the entire exhaust system. When I was running the Aaen pipe with ceramic coating, there was no ice build up because of lack of heat down there. Wraping it will help against heat build up with the plastic and will help move exhaust faster through the system mabe give a gain in power.

Kråkan said:
Alatalo is one of those that run MTX exchanger without protectors...

That is right. You do not have to worry about any interference problems between the track and the MTX heat exchanger. However, at least in my case, the ice build-up is still massive. I am much more worried about my exhaust when this chunk of ice decides to follow the track into the tunnel...

I will test a block-off plate within short...

Attachments

• PICT1150.JPG
    PICT1150.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 119

Back