• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sheared Driveshaft on 2017 sidewinder

lhdriller

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
03 Viper
2017 LTX-LE
2017 Ltx Le ( Running TD Max 17 with required upgrades.). I was driving and heard a clunk, thought it was ice... I managed to shear the driveshaft in half, crack open the inner chain case, damage the outer chaincase and wreck the caliper. I have read about the bearing issues but the bearings appear to be ok so it seems the actual driveshaft failed first. I had just installed the 4th wheel kit and was looking at the driveshaft saver! Lol. Little too late I guess. My dealer has most of the required factory parts in stock so he will get me back up and running in short order.

I would like to upgrade these parts in the offseason. I'm thinking upgraded driveshaft, bearings, etc??
What are some suggestions for the parts I should upgrade and suppliers? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 664149062(1).jpg
    664149062(1).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 664149054.jpg
    664149054.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 294

2017 Ltx Le ( Running TD Max 17 with required upgrades.). I was driving and heard a clunk, thought it was ice... I managed to shear the driveshaft in half, crack open the inner chain case, damage the outer chaincase and wreck the caliper. I have read about the bearing issues but the bearings appear to be ok so it seems the actual driveshaft failed first. I had just installed the 4th wheel kit and was looking at the driveshaft saver! Lol. Little too late I guess. My dealer has most of the required factory parts in stock so he will get me back up and running in short order.

I would like to upgrade these parts in the offseason. I'm thinking upgraded driveshaft, bearings, etc??
What are some suggestions for the parts I should upgrade and suppliers? Thanks in advance
Holly crap first time I see that!!

Last edited:
Same here, this is a first.

Welcome to the jungle!! Check your brake rotor. It usually tweaks that too and you'll get a pulsating lever.

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_185256.jpg
    IMG_20220117_185256.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 289
Yikes……and I’m crying about a weird feeling in my sled thinking it might be bearing or drive shaft in another post.

I seen one break in half this year also. Kinda scary. Imagine that happening at 100+ mph...

I seen one break in half this year also. Kinda scary. Imagine that happening at 100+ mph...
I thought about that. Wouldn't be good. What is the best or strongest aftermarket driveshaft? I see Hurricane sells one

I thought about that. Wouldn't be good. What is the best or strongest aftermarket driveshaft? I see Hurricane sells one
From the 1st set of pics, I see what looks to be a spot of rust? Can you confirm if that is rust, if so then it had started to fracture prior to letting go....

Back