• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shorty top speed

ReX

TY 4 Stroke God
I opened my 05 RX-1 ER up wide open over about a 1 mile stretch the other day and was dissapointed to only see 174 km/h (109 mph) on the speedometer. It had about 1700 kms (1063 miles) on it at the time. RPMs were 10,300.

This was on a groomed trail on a cold day (-18°C), moderately hard packed (the track was digging in quite a bit).

There was also a patch of ice about 50 feet long that I hit while doing about 168 (still climbing) and for that short stretch the sled pulled very hard to 174 and stayed there back on the snow. Going the other direction it only hit 172.

Another time on about a 1/2 mile stretch of plowed road, very slightly downhill, I got it up to 188 km/h (118 mph). It was still pulling reasonably hard, but I don't think there was all that much left (might have eventually hit 200 km/h or 125 mph - probably less)

Is this typical? Reading some of the posts here some seem to be talking much faster (keeping in mind these speeds are all on the spedometer).

My 03 RX-1 ER is a bloody DOG on the snow.
Take it to the lake and find a stretch of ice 1/2 mile long.
I'm running 133MPH on the dream-o-meter that tranlates to 117 on the radar gun. On 1-2 inches of snow it drops to 122 on the D-O-M = 108 110 MPH.
I have done some work to the air box, jets, clutches, extra wheels in the skid, cv springs, etc.
Take it for what it's worth.
Good luck.
Happy new year!
OTIS RX

The best I ever saw was 125 on the speedo. That was on hardpack on ice. Any snow at all slowed it down considerably.

The best I have seen on my speedo is 126 mph when I was in N.B. back in Feb 2003. The sled had about 1,000 miles on it and the RPM's was about 10,000 to 10,400. My brothers, nephews and I all got about the same results between the 6 RX-1's on that day. I am not sure what the real speed was but really how fast must we go? I like to get there fast not just go fast. That is what we can work on with Yamaha. Lets get there fast not go faster... My 2 cents :4STroke:

I got 123 on a pond I know well enough to attempt it and at night basicly just on my way home and it sure felt like about all I wanted at that point since that awesome headlight I run on low beam in the woods so I can see sleds coming wasnt doing much more than lighting my ski tips. It was Hard pack next day at the same spot 117-118 I wish my sled were exempt from the dreamometer deal but probably not. Check out this http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?t=8735

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like my sled is pretty typical for stock.

Fast enough for me (unless my buddies beat me too badly when we get out on the lakes...).

saw 118 on 05 rx1 stilll climbing but had to slow down, didn't take long to get there either! only about 125miles on the sled. so i'm sure it'll just get stronger

First Impressions of 05' RX-1

Well, we finnaly got to take our new sleds out for a blast 12-26, 12-27 and 12-28. We took the ride from Chicago to Mercer where the trails were in great shape, at least we thought so. My buddy has an 05' Warrior and I have an 05' RX-1. These sleds are are un belivable!!!! The mid range torque is great, they performed flawlessly. My top speed on trail 17 from Mercer to Minocqua was 112 with more to go with 150 miles on the sled. I have Ohlins in the front and the ride was so smooth that I recall cruiseing at 100-105 for several minutes like it was sixty on my old V-Max. I did install the Goodwin Performance Clutch kit as well as green Carb Springs and the Uridium Plugs and on packed snow nothing could catch me to 80 MPH, even a Mach Z 1000. Several SkiDoo's called me out 700's and 800's and they couldn't catch me (the run was about 3/4 of a mile). I am impressed. The Goodwin kit was as smoth as stock and the sled was a crisp as a razor in -3 degree temps on night. These sleds don't block the wind very well; hands and chest exposed. All else great!!!

Almost RX-1,
Here is some feedback on an inexpensive way to dramatically increase your performance! I have posted it once before and I have done it to my sled but I have not tested it yet! I will be going to Canada next week and will give everyone my personnal feedback on this modification and the installation of a 13 mm front sway bar on my 04 Warrior!

IBABAD1
To: Bob Miller
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:26 am
Subject: clutch

First, I did try the spring without the washers. Just the spring the rpms
went up to 10500-10600 and held pretty good. The top end increased
to 110 area. With the washers added the rpm was the same but
the top end went to 118 area, and it did seem to pull better above 100.
I was pulling away from the F-7 in a major way above 110.
Second, I should explain that I only use a RADAR GUN and SPEED
CHECK. The speedo is way off. I have seen 129 and 131 with this
set up on the speedometor. I use to see 112-115 before set up.
Secondary spring was set at 6-3. I think 6-1 would be better. The washers that are used are 5/16 lock washers that are installed on the secondary clutch to give the sled an overdrive, and the spring is an O/S/O RX Mountain spring which replaces the stock primary spring. ;)! :flag:

Just an update:

Yesterday I had a chance to open my sled up on a lake for the first time.

WOT for about 3/4 mile it got up to 184 kph (115 mph) on the speedometer and that was it. In reality the numbers kept changinge between 180, 182, and 184 (do all of your speedo's do this?).

The lake had about 1" of moderately hard packed snow on top, no bare ice (soft enough snow that the track and skiis would dig in a fair bit and rob hp).

My buddy was riding his '00 XCR800 with a few mods, including 192 studs (My 05 RX-1 is 100% stock, no studs) and he could take me off the line with better traction (I was just polishing the ice - in previous races I beat him typically), slightly take me in mid-range (1-2 sled lengths from a rolling start) and I would catch up and pass him after about 1/2 a mile.

After playing around on the lake we went riding and came to a long flat field (maybe 3/8 mile long) with the trail basically rough ice (roughed up from all the sleds - after grooming). I opened it up again and this time it hit 194 kph (121 mph) and was still climbing at the end of the field.

I would guess with a little longer stretch it would have hit 200+ kph (125 mph).

Top speed rpms were just a hair under 10,300 (probably 10,275).

The sled has just under 2,500 kms (1550 miles) on it now.

I'm going to leave it stock (at least for now). I might try a set of NGK CR10EK plugs though.

EVERY sled is subject to conditions, and all respond differently. Mine, as listed below, once hit 135 mph on a plowed road. This last weekend with 5" of fresh snow on the lake, it was all I could do to hit 115. Thats a 20mph difference. If I'm off trail in deep stuff, I won't even come CLOSE to 100.

i have an 03 rx1 shorty and it is a stocker.
last week end the more i got was between 186 189 km/h
but after a while i could't get more the 177 for some reason but it was getting warmer by the way i don't have any studs an any modification except esthetic.
the best i got last year was 196 km/h on the lac st-jean in quebec

i bought it last year from a friend of mine and on a slitly downhill he got 202 km/H on the speedo on snow

those number is honestly alwalys on the speedo

me too the speed vary of about 2 to 5 km/h depends of the situation

write me back almostrx1

by the way it is my first time on this site and i like it much
i think im gonna find help out here
:Rockon: :Rockon:
:rocks:
:4STroke:

Saw 149mph on the dream o meter while using our nitrous kit for a short period of time, it was still building but I let off. On that same run the gps in my pocket was reading 135 so at that speed our speedo was off by 14 MPH. It was on a lake with hard pack snow.

speed

119.2 mph on radar. 137,5 mains needles up one and dalton clutching at + 20 c or 68f no studs or over drive stk gearing. and ive seen speeds over 140 mph on the dream meter during the winter. this winter with a correted speedo and 10 tooth drivers ive see 112-113 in 2-3 in of snow. with the new drivers the track angle was reduced to 19 deg that helped a lot in the snow. ;)!

Back