• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I move from a RX1 to an Apex for $1200

bluecanuck

Extreme
My 03 RX1 is in mint shape but I am a little sick of my rider position in the choppy stuff. I have an opportunity to sell mine and then buy a buddies 06. The difference is likely going to be $1200 or so plus taxes on the new machine.

Input between the two models would be appreciated as I do not have much seat time on the Apex. I am 6ft 235lbs and ride aggressive on trials only if that helps. No desire to ditch bang or boondock.

Don't know to much about the rx-1, raced one on my 09 ltx and he beat me by half a length, he was getting better starts than me. The apex is awesome!! my buddies have 06's and they love them they really are great sleds as long as the engine is good you can fix everything else, the old riding style sucks IMO, or you could spend 14k on a new one LOL

Handling, rider position, and ride are far superior on the Apex. Just make sure you have the rear shock re-valved with a big boy spring installed. At your size, you will be bottoming the skid. Once sorted out, you'll be fine.

do it !!!!! i went from an 05 rx1 to 06 apex and noticed a difference . buddy has 03 rx1 traded sleds i couldn't wait to switch back. you will love everything about it .

schmeg said:
Handling, rider position, and ride are far superior on the Apex. Just make sure you have the rear shock re-valved with a big boy spring installed. At your size, you will be bottoming the skid. Once sorted out, you'll be fine.

Even without the rear shock revalve, the ride of the Apex will be vastly superior to what you're used to on the 03 RX1. Those 03's had poor padding in the seat, and an inferior suspension.

I would do it without question.

Oh yes do it ASAP!! Good deal for you even if you put big boy spring in. Who knows may already have big boy as 06s were too soft out of the box?

Your RX1 is a much warmer sled. What about changing the seat? You could put the seat from an 05' vector on it. This would help with other options, like a handle bar riser also. Just some suggestions.

I liked the rider position on my old RX better than my apex. Thats about the only thing about my rx that I liked better though.. If I were you I'd do it in a heartbeat

Do it! Its not going to cost you much, and you will enjoy all the upgrades of the Apex all season long.
Take the above mentioned advise, on the bigger rear spring, and shock revalve, and you should have a great ride. ;)!

Check and see if the handle bars have ever been updated as you might need to think about a Yamaheater.

Nobody has mentioned the lack of a choke knob on the Apex. That alone would be worth the difference to many.....

The injection system, even to people that don't like something regarding the rest of the sled, turn this engine into something almost universally loved by all.

I went fron an 03 rx1 with tons of extras on it. Over $3000 worth. I totaled it out and bought an Apex. Best move I ever made. Love my Apex. The only thing I did to my Apex was a 13mm sway bar,shock revalve and big spring. Shane

Well thanks for the input guys. If I can complete the sale on my machine and raise the cash I will be sporting an Apex this year. If not I will be stuffing my 05 seat to get my up a few more inches and listening to the pro-action clunk through the bumps for another season. I love my current machine accept for the rear suspension.

bluecanuck said:
Well thanks for the input guys. If I can complete the sale on my machine and raise the cash I will be sporting an Apex this year. If not I will be stuffing my 05 seat to get my up a few more inches and listening to the pro-action clunk through the bumps for another season. I love my current machine accept for the rear suspension.[/quote]

Change it. Not that big a deal. You'd be added to the list of hundreds of others that have done the same....

Blue Canuck,

I ride in thh same area you do.

Deciding between the RX1 and the Apex is a very simple decision. Do it. You will never regret.

I am onto my second APEX. My 2006 was a great sled. Fast enough out of the box. And with this site information you can dial in the handling to ride our trails like on a rail.

Back