• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I switch from a 800 summit xp to a nytro

Snow Snake

Could some of you Nytro fans give me some input on the whys and why nots to switch to a nytro?
Most of the posts talk about how lite the nytro feels when riding it and everything is to heavy if your stuck in arm pit deep snow. The only nytros I have ever seen have been sitting in the trail so finding one to riding in western wy. is hard to do.

#1 Won't the wieght kill the nytro when boon docking in the deep powder?

#2 Can the problem of the oil running out of the air box be easily fixed? It is so much easier to roll the sled over to get out of a stuck.

#3 Can this things be close to an 800 class in the hills with out a turbo? Is there any way to get to a 150 plus HP with out spending thousands of dollars. They say it is in the 600 class, haven't seen a 6 hang in there yet.

Ok I'll throw in my 2 cents.

#1 - Boondocking is the Nytros Strong suit. Many reason why but that's all over the forum already.

#2 - On the oil issue. First the oil running all over is only for the boosted sleds when the air box is removed. Yes the oil will drain into the airbox. We have a thread going on solving the problem.

#3 - I would say yes to this but there are so many variables to this one. Power wise no problem it will out put a stock polaris 900 all day. There is so much more to climbing including what you define as climbing to go much furthure. You actually said "in the hills" so maybe a little more explianation here would help.

As with any sled tuning to your riding style makes or breaks the sled. If you want to boondock and cut powder this is a great sled. I'm in the process of deleting the sway bar and adding float shocks to make it even better. Again read the posts on this. If you do buy a new sled have the stock shocks on the MTX swapped for Floats. Should save a few bucks if the dealer does it up front.

Hope this helps.

The Nytro is one of the best handling chassis' out there. It feels lighter riding it than the XP(and I have had XP riders tell me the same). Stuck it is heavy, it will not climb with an XP(and I don't know why people compare them to 800's).

Basically, you have an awesome handling, super reliable, 135 HP sled that weighs 560 lbs without gas. obviously it won't highmark anything with a better HP to weight ratio which is most 700 and 800 mountain sleds.

The torque is great, the sled handles great, I've jumped mine 100+ feet and they hold up and fly very well despite the weight. I love mine.

If you're competitive, go buy an 800 2-stroke mountain sled. If you just want to ride every day back to back without touching a thing, buy the Nytro. If you do buy a Nytro, have realistic expectations, buy it for the right reasons and you'll love it.

Mine will out perform an AC M-8, AC 900 1M, and a stock Apex. I get absolutley STOMPED by an M-1000 on the trail, but hang all day in the deep.

It took a couple thousand extra $$$ to get to this point, but it was money well spent!

PS - I'm still not running the huffer....

MotoPsycho said:
Mine will out perform an AC M-8, AC 900 1M, and a stock Apex. I get absolutley STOMPED by an M-1000 on the trail, but hang all day in the deep.

It took a couple thousand extra $$$ to get to this point, but it was money well spent!

PS - I'm still not running the huffer....

Here here! Since I've updated my track and installed a Timbersled skid, my Nytro will float with the best of them. It still won't beat the 800's in the steep and deep, but it WILL go there!! And it will do it day after day without whining or even whimpering. Turn the key and hit the fun flipper. I don't like the characteristics on the trail, but I don't like trails anyway so I'm not concerned with it.

You are correct, the Nytro is the best handling sled out there, IMO. I've ridden Poo's, Doos, and cats, all '05 and newer (most '08 and '09)....fact is the balance of the Nytro is worlds better than any of them.

Nice part is, if you want more power, just put a turbo on it and you'll be golden, with the same reliability.

DamonJones said:
#2 - On the oil issue. First the oil running all over is only for the boosted sleds when the air box is removed. Yes the oil will drain into the airbox. We have a thread going on solving the problem.

Just to clear this up, a stock Nytro will spill oil if left on its left side long enough past a certain angle. The oil drains through the tank breather into the airbox and then leaks out the airbox onto the clutch in my case. :o|

Crewchief47 said:
DamonJones said:

Just to clear this up, a stock Nytro will spill oil if left on its left side long enough past a certain angle. The oil drains through the tank breather into the airbox and then leaks out the airbox onto the clutch in my case. :o|

Crap that really needs to be resolved. I'm going shopping for parts.

several who have responded to you came off Rev's like I did...every sled is different like people...

Personally, I love my Nytro...it is easier to handle than my rev. and is more predictable...

I ride with all kinds of sleds, and am usually the one busitng trail for all...it is not the biggest powered sled, but as others have said there is a lot more to riding in the hills than power...

I have a list too long to type of what I have done to mine, but the biggest impacts were timbersled skid, and powerclaw track...

I hate highmarking, but have topped RT's XP's and Dragon 8, and M8's and I have been topped by some of those too...it is more rider than sled...

but for the type of riding I prefer, boondocking, there is no where another sled can go that I cannot on my Nytro...

I'll make it fairly simple I own a Summit 800X and a Nytro MTX. I will probably never put another mile on my Summit, I love my Nytro that much. I have been a Ski Doo Summit guy nearly my whole life, I bought into the RX-1 in 2003 when it first came out, and sold it about as quick as I bought it as it was a tank. Wouldn't side hill, sucked in deep powder and so on. I always hoped Yamaha would refine the 4 stroke and build another machine that was competitive, and they did in the Nytro. The Nytro is an absolute dream. It will do anything ANY other sled will do and a whole lot more, throw in the reliability, 4 stroke, this forum and you will soon understand. I don't know where you live, but I am so happy with mine (I should be a paid Yamaha salesman) I'd offer to let you ride mine in an effort to try and convince you. It is a beautiful and fun machine. All the other machines look/feel cheap and cheesy to me in recent years to include the Ski Doo's. The Yamaha has stayed true to their typical quality and dependability. I dare you to find another sled that offers the amount of R&D as well as aftermarket goodies that these machines bring to the table. Their are a couple quirky things I don't like but am willing to live with as I know sites like this and Yamaha's history are excellent resources to get them figured out and fixed. Doesn't get much better IMO. Best of luck in your decision.

PS....... your looken on the wrong site if you are looken for someone to bad mouth this machine. I think it is fairly safe to say, all of us on here love them and would be hard pressed to get rid of them. We all have things we would change but overall love the Yamaha Nytro.

ummmm....WOW Koeckman....

Well said...

saaaaaayyyyy.... are you SURE you don't work for yammi? ;)

I too have a Nytro MTX and a Summit XP X800 154" and would not sell either one of them. I, like every other Nytro owner absolutely love it. It is an awesome boondocking machine. In fact, rode two weeks ago with three 163" Dragons in 3' of fresh sugar powder and went everywhere they did. The power is SOOOOOOOO smooth it's just addicting. The track on the 09's are better than the 08's but will still eventuallly change mine to a CE. I just love the reliability. Who else gives you a four year factory warranty on a sled? Don't get me wrong, love my XP as well (now that I have the bugs worked out of it) but you can't beat the Nytro. If I had to choose between the two (and thank god I don't have to) I would keep the Nytro hands down. :-o

Well Koeckman nice wright up, you should sale used cars for a living you would be rich. I didn't go to doo talk to ask the question because I know what most doo riders would say. It would be something like over wieght pigs should stay on the trail. Besides I just want someone to push me over the edge I haven't had very good luck with Yamaha's in the past.

So Calvin42 if the 09 track is better in your opion it would be better to buy an 08 sled at a cheaper price and change the track before it hits the snow or buy the 09 and suffer through this year and replace the track for next year.

Then what would be the best track, CE would be my choice the softer track seam to work better in the soft snow. Will a 16" wide fit in the sled. It sounds like some of you have changed the track and skid is there any value in the old one?

So the next thing would be to put some kind of filter to stop the oil from running out.

Anything else need to be done before the sled hits the snow.

I offer another perspective. The stock Nytro sort of sucks in the really deep stuff versus the XP sleds. The stock XP will pull circles around the Nytro in the really deep and anywhere there is a climb. The nytro handles much much better and is more fun to ride thru the trees though.

However, when you consider upgrading sleds there is no question that the Nytro is the better sled. This will cost you though. Last year I was on equal terms with a stock 146" XP with my 80lb weight loss via timbersled skid, front suspension, air shocks, lite battery, ect. The XP still could out climb me up a steep grade with lots of powder, but I think that had more to do with the crappy track than anything else. This cost me an additional $3000 over what my buddies with XPs spent.

This year with my midmount turbo and power claw track I am leagues ahead of them in handling, climbing, and pure fun. This was another $5000. So for $8000 plus 30-40 hours of wrenching I can hand it to the XPs.

There is no $8000 a guy could spend on a XP to surpass my performance peroid. But my $20k sled should kick his 10k arse.

Just another perspective. I have a lot of respect for the XPs. As a stock sled they are hard to beat. They have some bugs and they don't handle the trees as well, but dang they can climb.

Otis

Snow Snake said:
Well Koeckman nice wright up, you should sale used cars for a living you would be rich. I didn't go to doo talk to ask the question because I know what most doo riders would say. It would be something like over wieght pigs should stay on the trail. Besides I just want someone to push me over the edge I haven't had very good luck with Yamaha's in the past.

So Calvin42 if the 09 track is better in your opion it would be better to buy an 08 sled at a cheaper price and change the track before it hits the snow or buy the 09 and suffer through this year and replace the track for next year.

Then what would be the best track, CE would be my choice the softer track seam to work better in the soft snow. Will a 16" wide fit in the sled. It sounds like some of you have changed the track and skid is there any value in the old one?

So the next thing would be to put some kind of filter to stop the oil from running out.

Anything else need to be done before the sled hits the snow.

I would still go with the 09' because of the upgrades they've done to the sled. The track isn't that bad. The paddles are stiffer than the 08's and does quite well in the powder and the trails. Right now I will ride the entire season on the stock track. Am looking at putting a turbo on this fall and some other upgrades. We'll see what comes out for 2010 as I order a new sled every year anyway. As for the price, with the economy you can still get great deals on 09's. As for the oil drain issues, there are some good fixes that guys on the forum have come up with. Will have to decide which fix I'm going to use.

Back