• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I switch from a 800 summit xp to a nytro

Otis, you hit the nail on the head. I, too, have a ton of respect for the performance of the XP's in the steep and deep....however, each of my friends who has one has spent time in the shop through the year fixing the minor defects and keeping them running at that level. They seem to hold up pretty well to abuse, though, which is surprising. I think they handle heavier, though, much heavier than my Nytro...in fact, all my friends overcontrol my Nytro when they ride it and end up falling off, because it takes so much less effort in the powder. I don't think you can go wrong with either sled, it just depends on what you expect out of either one. For example, if you buy the Nytro and expect it to be the king of the hill in stock form you are setting yourself up for disappointment, at the same time, if you buy an XP and expect 3-4 years of trouble free use you will be disappointed.

Absolutely! Make sure you know what you want and expect and you won't be disappointed. Both are awesome sleds in different ways. I'd never sell mine, but I am not brand blind either.

Otis

Sorry guys, the 09's have the same track as the 08's. I thought it was stiffer also so I asked and they are exactly the same. The USA dealers wanted a different track but Japan said it wasn't in the budget in 09.

my only experiance with the newer doo's is my friends 05 rev 1000sdi and my nytro feels lighter and easier to throw around and even with my limiter pulled up 2 holes because of the turbos power it still doesn't dive as hard as his sled when letting off in the powder. (his limiter is dropped all the way) i like doo's and almost bought an 08 XP instead of the nytro, but after a season of riding i am happy with the route i went. i am not brand biased but i saw a lot of broken xp's last year and that made me glad i got the heavier but apparently more reliable nytro.
my sled even with the turbo and riding hard has been bullet proof except for bending the front end (but i admit i like to push it in the trees and sidehilling i have hit some big stuff hiding underneath so its not the sleds fault) i just straighten the front end everytime i hit something big and keep riding

It seams most people are thing that a harder track is better in the snow. From what I have seen the softer track works better in the snow and a hard track works a little better in the trench. So or are yamahas different and need a stiffer track?

I agree with you devil the 1000sdi wasn't that much fun to ride after riding one most of the day I was beat.

If one was to buy a 09 Nytro they would need to change the track at the least. 08 Nytro would take a track and a rear skid. There are a few posts about the 08 skid failing and some of the people have been paying to up grade to the 09 parts. Then get a more realistic sized gas tank for both. Some place inbetween 850 and 2500 to start then rest would be icing on the cake.

Now that is mid Jan. I might as well hang on for another month and see what 010 brings. Maybe Yamaha will here the people and make a few changes.

Snow Snake said:
It seams most people are thing that a harder track is better in the snow. From what I have seen the softer track works better in the snow and a hard track works a little better in the trench. So or are yamahas different and need a stiffer track?

I agree with you devil the 1000sdi wasn't that much fun to ride after riding one most of the day I was beat.

If one was to buy a 09 Nytro they would need to change the track at the least. 08 Nytro would take a track and a rear skid. There are a few posts about the 08 skid failing and some of the people have been paying to up grade to the 09 parts. Then get a more realistic sized gas tank for both. Some place inbetween 850 and 2500 to start then rest would be icing on the cake.

your dead on...lots of different opinions formed by lots of varied terrain being reported on...

Softer tracks fold and pack the snow so you can climb in pow, harder tracks trench in soft snow, and grab in harder snow...

realistically the track you need depends upon the predominant snow you encounter...

the reason the Hillclimb Arctic Cat Powerclaw is a stiffer durometer than the standard track, is that HillClimb races rarely are doing this climbing in powder, it is usually much more set up...

Nikolai said:
The Nytro is one of the best handling chassis' out there. It feels lighter riding it than the XP(and I have had XP riders tell me the same). Stuck it is heavy, it will not climb with an XP(and I don't know why people compare them to 800's).

Basically, you have an awesome handling, super reliable, 135 HP sled that weighs 560 lbs without gas. obviously it won't highmark anything with a better HP to weight ratio which is most 700 and 800 mountain sleds.

The torque is great, the sled handles great, I've jumped mine 100+ feet and they hold up and fly very well despite the weight. I love mine.

If you're competitive, go buy an 800 2-stroke mountain sled. If you just want to ride every day back to back without touching a thing, buy the Nytro. If you do buy a Nytro, have realistic expectations, buy it for the right reasons and you'll love it.

I would have to agree...
Been riding for about 20 years and this 4 stroke Nytro is a the most enjoyable sled I have ever ridden, I call it the "perma-grin" sled....
The torquey 4 stroke power is second to none. If you prefer wrenching every weekend buy some thing else, I prefer not to wrench!

I have a perspective from owning both sleds. The XP was new last year and only stayed with me for one trip to the mountains and about 300mi. in the flats. Way too many problems with the XP for my liking and with BRP's reputation for quick fixes, I dumped it for the sled I've always thought I would go to next. There's no way the stock Nytro can hang with stock XP in deep or steep, but it's a much easier sled to handle for carving and playing in powder. Climbing is a different story as there is not enough power in the stock Nytro.
The 09 XP are, according a couple of owners I've talked to, still having clutching problems and lots of heat issues in the primary and belt and consequently are having belt failures similar to the '08's. Don't understand why clutching is such a problem for DOO.
If you want to fix the HP issue with the Nytro it's expensive but worth every penny. Just get a good system and get it installed by someone who really knows what they are doing. It's not for amatures for sure.

With my brother in the same boat I give you his perspective after rideing all weekend with the Yamaha. No it won't out do a 800XP in climb or super deep pow STOCK, He likes it for the handleing and over all light feel. He wants the HP of the Apex in the Nitro(ME TOO) but I don't know if he will make the jump or not. For now he will be rideing a Yamado or is it Skimaha I'm not sure...

I'm not trying to out do the XP or I would be going for a turbo. Will a Nytro (being a so called 600 class sleds) make it up the hill in an XP track? That question is subjet to different people opinions or atleast to the way they see it and we all know how that works.
The 09s doo's are a little better then the 08s on the clutching but Doo should do something about thier clutching. If you work the sled in powder and could capture the heat they make you could heat your house. Doo is great about replacing thier engines when they blow but sometimes it is a pain when you have to swap the engine in the mountains.
A Nytro on NOS might be the answer. They sound like they could be a blast to ride but I havn't found anybody with one who is willing to share.

stick a timbersled Mtn Tamer under that sled, and you will hang with a LOT of bigger HP sleds...then stick a PowerClaw under it, and there wotn be many that you cant hang with in the hills...

^x2 for the skid, I went with a Polaris '09 Series 5.1 track from a D700 (pulloff). My buddies can't believe the difference this year over the stock setup....I was always following and hanging back from the hill climbs last year, this year I'm breaking trail and almost high marking them instead...HUGE difference!

yeah NIGHT and day differences...I aslo geared mine down one tooth on the top...was VERY impressed with all those differences...

Back