• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Alpha conversion questions

juwalantz

Extreme
Some of you may ask why and I will answer. I’m board and not willing to give up my winder mtx. Wanna try something new but there is nothing out there that impresses me. Just stuck on 4 stroke power. So I’m converting a 2017 Sidewinder to a Kmod Skinny turn key suspension with the 165 alpha track. I was hoping someone on here has done it before and can shed a little light for me. I have ordered the Kmod skinny turn key skid and the 165 alpha power claw track and now I’m stuck. Not sure If I can just press the new Arctic cat drivers on a Sidewinder shaft or do I need to get an Arctic cat shaft with drivers and loose the reverse gear. If there is anyone who has personally done this to their sled I would appreciate any input. Snow is gonna be flying soon and I need to get parts coming.

I did an Alpha conversion on a 18 Mountain Cat, but have not done one on a Sidewinder. The 2 stroke/Alpha axle shaft is aluminum and I believe the hex size is larger than your steel Sidewinder shaft. Also the Alpha drivers are fairly large and require a drop/rolled chain case in order to fit the 3" Alpha track.
That being said, Alpha tracks are 3.5" pitch and you may be able to find aftermarket drivers to fit the Sidewinder axle/Alpha track combo.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if I have a dropped rolled chain case. Ill have to do some research. I think they did that in 2018. Luckily I have a 2018 winder also so if I get desperate I might go that route.

Update. I do not have dropped rolled chain case on 2017 but I think I might still be able to get the alpha track in there with smaller drivers. I’m having a set of 6 tooth drivers made from Avid. Super competent people over there. They said the hex shaft of the sidewinder and arctic cat are the same dimensions. I could have tried 7 tooth but 6 tooth is a sure fit. At least I’m my head it seems that would work. Still open to any info from someone who has done this conversion. Track is here. Skid will be here tomorrow. Drivers might be a while out. I’ll be posting build updates and pics here in the next month or so. Will be slow going but I’m going to make it happen before the snow is flying. Alpha winder here we go!

Look at the Venom and Blast Mtn models. They use a regular steel shaft. I dont know what the Pitch is though.

Should be a fun project! It's kind of to bad that Cat didn't come out with the Alpha skid while Yamaha and Cat were still making multiple four stroke mountain sleds. If they had, they possibly would still be making multiple models, as the skid holds almost no snow for a noticeable real world weight reduction.

subscribing, I also am looking at doing this down the road.

Did you finish this? I also installed single beam rear skid. Easy peasy. Just use the MM drives on the Winder shaft. And will all bolt directly in.

Good luck
CM
I was wondering if the 2 stroke drivers fit on the sidewinder shaft. Ya that would make it pretty easy then

Still working on the conversion. Just waiting on drivers from Avid. The track I purchased was the 2023 power claw. It has been redesigned so Avid needs to make new drivers. I thought about doing the stock Arctic cat drivers but I’m going to be in the neighborhood of 400 HP so need them to be durable. I decided to do a Big Turbo from turbo dynamics and all the goodies to go along with it. I’ll post final pics when I’m done in few weeks or so. So far it’s been straight forward project. The job can be done in a day no problem. I tried to add some updated pics from my IPhone but I keep getting an error that says my photos are too large for server to process. Anyone know how to get around that please let me know.

Back