• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Turbo Info

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
Turbo.JPG

Turbo2.JPG

Turbo3.JPG

Turbo4.JPG

Turbo5.JPG

Turbo6.JPG

Turbo 7.JPG

Last edited:

I'm curious on the comp ratio....

*found it, 9:1. So boost will be able to be turned up...... ;)!

Last edited:
Looks like no more radiator. Also looks like no elevation compensation. Aftermarket will hopefully jump in there.
It does have altitude compensation, I've read the pdf but I can't remember where it was, I do remember the pdf spelling out no performance drop up to 10000 feet.

turbo-jpg.116851

Yamaha really lights the wick during testing ... Looks like they have the can apart in that photo too. Last time I saw a turbo glow like that was on a formula one car.

Hmmm.
Looks like that IHI Turbo should be good for 16psi boost give or take.
Maybe even as high as 21.
[Assuming I can read the chart correctly on that Turbo & the info on some of the car forums is accurate.]

Anyone find what actual boost is? Or did I miss it somewhere

Hmm. A couple psi here a lil more fuel there and a lil timing in the mix. Could we see it break the 200 mark? 200 ponies between my legs would be an awesome feeling. Might have to get use to that if I buy one cause I know the wife won't be around if I do

From AmSnow:
The new 3-cylinder Genesis Turbo should pump out around 195+ ponies according to Yamaha, who stated its goal was the first 200-hp production sled. Although Yamaha dynos say they might be short of the 200-hp mark, the new Sidewinder sleds claim the highest power-to-weight ratio in the industry, as much as 30% higher than the next closest 800cc competitor (Polaris Pro-RMK 800).

http://amsnow.com/news/snowmobile-news/2016/03/2017-yamaha-snowmobiles-released

I hope the rev limiter is raised on this engine. Hitting the rev limiter at 9150 with turbo is not so nice for the engine. So i hope the rev limiter is higher now, At least 9500 rpm .
The Nytro was set at 9250 rpm
And Viper at 9150 rpm that is to low.
I now the clutches isnt suposed to go over 9000 rpm but, there are snow conditions that can be so you hit the rev limiter at 9150 rpm and then the valve cap can come loose.

Back