• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Turbo Info

I hope the rev limiter is raised on this engine. Hitting the rev limiter at 9150 with turbo is not so nice for the engine. So i hope the rev limiter is higher now, At least 9500 rpm .
The Nytro was set at 9250 rpm
And Viper at 9150 rpm that is to low.
I now the clutches isnt suposed to go over 9000 rpm but, there are snow conditions that can be so you hit the rev limiter at 9150 rpm and then the valve cap can come loose.

I just checked last night with my source and they are saying 9500 rpm.

Mcx says a tuning kit is in the works with about 250 hp using the stock turbo, they'll probably make a bigger kit with a bigger turbo as well!

Perfect.

Thats what I run my MCX 290 Apex at for hp 90 % of the time.

I hope the rev limiter is raised on this engine. Hitting the rev limiter at 9150 with turbo is not so nice for the engine. So i hope the rev limiter is higher now, At least 9500 rpm .
The Nytro was set at 9250 rpm
And Viper at 9150 rpm that is to low.
I now the clutches isnt suposed to go over 9000 rpm but, there are snow conditions that can be so you hit the rev limiter at 9150 rpm and then the valve cap can come loose.

There is a bit of a difference here. Because this is a factory designed turbo system, it will have different cams. The Viper/Nytro engine had high revving cams which would make more and more power up to about 10,000 rpms. With that said, you can be sure we will be exploring the power characteristics of this engine and if it will be worthwhile to raise the rev limit above 9150.

Hmmm.
Looks like that IHI Turbo should be good for 16psi boost give or take.
Maybe even as high as 21.
[Assuming I can read the chart correctly on that Turbo & the info on some of the car forums is accurate.]

The IHI turbocharger should be good up to 22 lbs no problem.

Hmmm.
Looks like that IHI Turbo should be good for 16psi boost give or take.
Maybe even as high as 21.
[Assuming I can read the chart correctly on that Turbo & the info on some of the car forums is accurate.]
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that graph?

Cat engineers I talked to said it was the same turbo as the 1100 had, implying the same cartridge even. It was good to about 17lbs before some heat soak started if that is true.

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that graph?

No I don't. Sorry.
It was a chart showing the specs for various IHI Turbos. not a graph per se.
The info on the forums was gleaned from a Subaru forum if I remember correctly.
Google was my friend .

Info from the Vendor & Advertiser above seem to back up what I found online. [ Great news IMHO]

the new system is set to handle 12psi,is that what it is stock or?

the new system is set to handle 12psi,is that what it is stock or?

Not that stock. Likely 6 ish psi stock.
Educated guess tells me that Chris means the engine will handle 12 psi on likely 91 octane as it comes from the factory as I believe the Turbo can put out quite a bit more than 12 psi .

Back