• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SIMMONS CARBIDE?????

blue05rx1

Veteran
I'm ready to order a set of Simmons for my Rx-1, but I'm not sure what to get for carbides. I ride in northern lower MI, on groomed trails, but also off trail on un-touched snow. Probabaly 60% trail, 40% off. I consider myself to be somewhat of an aggressive rider, I'm still a young guy at 21. but want to get the right setup with these skis. So, I was wondering what you guys think or what you have?

A. Either get 4" cutting carbides on all 4 coners-kind of what I'm leaning towards
B. Get 2 std. and 2 4" cutting carbides
C. Get 2 std. and 2 6" cutting carbides

Thanks for all your help!
-Jim

I have had the 6" on all corners and love this setup. If you go to thier website and see how this ski performs and lift's when its turning, you will understand why I went with the 6" all around. I am a bigger guy at 6'2" 240 pounds and love to come into the corners like I did on my Viper, with this setup I have no problem turning with the best of them. For the little amount more it will cost you to do the 6's I would give it a try, unless you know of somebody's sled you could try it out on 1st. I know you will love it. :Rockon:

I started with 6" carbides on the inside and 4" carbides on the outside. Wore them out after 1,000 miles and the dealer only 4" carbides in stock so I rode another 1,000 miles on all 4" carbides. I didn't really notice a difference except the 6" carbides cost more. I have 96 studs down the center.

My understanding from others though is that you should use Berstrom carbides, which is what I am switching to this winter.

You can get Bergstrom's for these ski's? I didn'tknow that.... :shock:

Well that made my descision a whole lot easier! I was toying with the idea of Simmons but to be honest I had really good luck last year with the Bergstrom Skegs and I liked them alot. They are made much tougher than anything else and I didn't want to get sucked into that whole Simmons Consumables business model (where I am stuck buying their stuff at premium prices :? )

Now I will be looking for a good deal on a set of Simmons at The Big East Sled show for sure ;)! .

I run Bergstrom triple 6" on the inside and single 4" on the outside. Absolutley amazing. I think I will run triple 6" on both sides this season. I hear that they make a triple 8" , hmmmm.

where do you buy your berstrom carbides for the Simmons? Any aftermarket guys sell them.
Doug

where do you buy your berstrom carbides for the Simmons? Any aftermarket guys sell them.
Doug

Back