• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski lift and steering

Glenn

Extreme
I have a few more questions looking to be answered on the setting up of my 06 Venture.The front shock springs are at the limit and it did make a bit of difference on the inside ski lift on turns but it still very hard to handle on turns.I see that the carbide that comes with this sled is of poor quality they hardly bite in ice.What would be a good replacement carbide ? I was thinking on doolys. I have no studs on the track If I pull my limiter strap one hotch what efect will it make on the sled? We ride two up all the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.My arms are getting .........

If you tighten your limiter strap up one hole it will put more weight on the front end. Also try and adjust your transfer rod to min. transfer, that is what seems to work for me. Again more weight on the front. Try it and see if it works for you.
I added studs therefore I put on 8" studboy shaper bars cause the stock ones were bare minimum to say the least.

Berstrom triple points

I tried a set of the Bergstrom Triple Points with ski savers and supplied shims. Wow what a difference. I had them on my ’05 Vector, my wife and a friend has ‘06’s with stock carbide and they were darting badly. My wife ended up riding my sled! Next year all of our sleds will have the Triple Points. They are a vast improvement. I might try a set of the dooly’s just for comparison.

As Shivesy said, go with the minimum transfer ,red paint just covered on rods. Also full preload on front track shock.I put on 6 inch Woodys Dooleys and wish I'd done it long ago,way less steering effort and no darting. Also if you're short legged you can roll your bars foward a little to bring your body foward,that inch or two sliding foward can really help on the corners. I did the short hole on the strap with 6 inch single carbides and it railed around the corners but was a bear to turn the skis. I havent tried that setup with the doolys yet.

controlled power through the turns. If you are slowing too abruptly the front end loads up bad. slow first and power through. I don't mean braking when I say slowing, as the engine provides plenty of braking on its own.

needs a ton of body english to get it to react & not be tippy. you cannot lean too much with this beast.

I go full soft on the front with 6.9 ski doo pilots - way easier to turn on anything but the firmest trails. On ultra firm trails I had no problem with the stock skis.

2005 RS Venture with 3K miles.

I agree on the Bergstrom Triple Points with ski savers and supplied shims, decrease front end spring preload, shorten the front limiter at least 1 hole (I went 2), set transfer to minimum I also, raised the handle bars and wow what a difference in turning and a whole lot less tippy !

I have 6" doolys on my 07 Venture..I adjusted my transsfer to min. and loosed my front spring a bit...I found a big difference, I was always in the air with one ski in the courners..Has anyone tried both the Doolys and the tripple points to compare and see whats performes better????..I did move my handle bars up and found a difference there too ....My sled handles pretty good on the trails for a big sled ..........

Thanks for the sugestions.I was under the impression that my ski spring would help keep the ski on the snow on turns.I have mine set to max pressure it feels better than at 1/2 or minimum pressure.
The transfer rods transfer weight from what to where? :flag:

Glenn said:
Thanks for the sugestions.I was under the impression that my ski spring would help keep the ski on the snow on turns.I have mine set to max pressure it feels better than at 1/2 or minimum pressure.
:flag:

Increasing front shock preload will raise the front end ride height and I.M.O. will be more tippy ? Pull up the front limiter if you need more ski pressure.

"The transfer rods transfer weight from what to where?" From the front to the rear for more or less traction. Increasing transfer will tend to keep the skis in the air which is not good for turning and with the Rage and that awesome track you don't need more transfer for general trail riding ?

Thanks VMax 540. I thinkI understand the mecanics of it now .I will shorten the limiter strap buy one hole to put more pressure on the ski.I will bring the transfer rods to almost minimum setting to keep the weight on the rear of the track.If this works I can probebly fine tune the rods and straps until they work for me.I will however change my carbides to a set of doolyes ;)!

First for sure get rid of the stock carbides. Not sure if I would go with dualies unless I was studded.

As for riding, the right throttle is a big difference. Don't get off it all of the way. Instead keep a little power on thru the turn. This by the way works for everything due to Physics. I'll explain. When you go into a turn the normal force ( 90 degrees) pushes you out . The tangential force (straight line) keeps you straight. Try that first with little changes, other wise you can get yourself tied all in a not with too many changes at once as it sounds you are a little new.

Thanks PAMikeC
But it's the only way to learn this stuff to try and adjuste the suspension the way it works for you.I only make one small adjustement at the time and try it out for the weekend.I really find this sled had to keep straight on the trail and from tipping on turns.I had different brands of touring sleds before that handled much better than my new Venture RS.I tried a Doo this weekend that had pilot skies on and it drove like a dream so may be this type of skies would help. ;)!

Back