• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid plate install

This is another example of Yamaha having their head up their butts. Why not just manufacture the sled with threaded inserts already in place like they did on the Phazers?

Simply amazing.....

jf

The OEM ones fail because they are aluminum. Not real durable and will eventially pull out with the ice expansion. I used steel ones (the same used on most autos) and they have held up fine so far.

I am confused. Do the skid plates come with the rubber rivets? I guess I understood that they didn't, however, I bought a skid plate from Port Yamaha and the installation kit has the rubber rivets in it? Is the problem with these things in addition to the lack of rubber rivets, or are the rivets one solution to the problem?

Thanks

rindtj said:
I am confused. Do the skid plates come with the rubber rivets? I guess I understood that they didn't, however, I bought a skid plate from Port Yamaha and the installation kit has the rubber rivets in it? Is the problem with these things in addition to the lack of rubber rivets, or are the rivets one solution to the problem?

Thanks

Yamaha must have changed their anchors to rubber, consider yourself lucky as I recently purchased a kit and it came with the aluminum riv nuts.

You shouldn't have any issues with the rubber riv nuts, they will grab and hold if installed correctly.

the original kit came with aluminum rivnuts.....the fix Ive used for years now being mentioned is a rubber wellnut...

either yamaha has switched or port is setting it up right from the start..

After installing rivnuts, add a few 1/4" bolts next to rivnuts. Just drill and tap holes for bolts. Watch out for hose in belly.

gun nut said:
After installing rivnuts, add a few 1/4" bolts next to rivnuts. Just drill and tap holes for bolts. Watch out for hose in belly.

why go through all that... just use the larger rubber wellnuts...

sj said:
gun nut said:

why go through all that... just use the larger rubber wellnuts...

X2

Sorry guys, no rubber rivnuts, the same ones you all have described. I am not home and had the skid plate picked up for, got my wires crossed with my dad.

My bad.

Back