• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled Died... Lost Power... Battery or Charging unit?

rochmatt27

Veteran
Hi,

I have a 2005 RX1-ER with 1100 miles on it. I have had some battery problems in the past at the beginning of the season that I solved by charging. Yesterday sled started fine so I went out riding for hours with several stops. It was about 7 degrees F. and very windy / cold all day. We were riding really hard on the way back with alot of bumps and bouncing around when all the sudden the sled started to really bog when I got on the gas like it was missing spark and not firing on all 4. I looked down and noticed the tack and speeddometer was dead and I pulled over and turned it off on the trail. After my crew returned to see what was wrong we tried to start it and it just clicked like the battery was dead.

We had to pull the belt and tow it in to the truck and trailer. When we got it back to my house started with a jumper / charger and it ran fine as long as it was hooked up and the display worked also...

My question is... could this 3 season old battery just have gone bad all the sudden? Perhaps a bumped even caused a bar in it to break and short it out while riding? Or, is this a charging issue that just came up?

Was hoping to just replace a battery today and be fine..

Anyone else ever have a similar problem with an RX?\

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Probably the battery, and yes when they go bad it's fast. I've also had this, but the instrument panel didn't come on, no sign of anything, and it was that tiny little fuse box. Can't remember if they were 10/15 or whatever amps, but this is now something that I carry extra of as well.

Have the battery load tested to know for sure.I had a similar problem on my 05 rx-1 and we found a loose connection up in the nose storage area of the machine where the wires pass through.This loose connection prevented the battery from charging and caused my gauge pod to go dead.

05 candy red rx-1 er,wiseco hi-comp pistons,race cams,ecp kit,qc-1 pipes,ported heads,hauck clutching.autometer gauges.....ready to rock

Had all most the exact same thing happen to me this year on my warrior, replaced the battery and she is fine .

SISCAKIDD said:
Had all most the exact same thing happen to me this year on my warrior, replaced the battery and she is fine .
Getting a new battery today from the dealer for $79.00, thanks for your reply..... I am hoping I have your luck as I am going to Old Forge for the weekend as of Thursday am to ride!

Yeah baby!

Up in the nose cone check the wiring they tend to rub through causing a short seen it happen to mine caught it before it became a problem its a heavier red wire that goes to the voltage regulater.

That's the problem with maintance free batteries, they tend to go all of a sudden with no prior notice where the open cell batteries show weakness and just need more distilled water. Replace the battery and be happy again.

Back