• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SLEDZ DEAD BABY............part 2!!!

LOL - I'm glad we all think alike here. I've thought that many a times!

Got it going after about 3 hours of fiddlin.

After charging the battery overnight I thought I'd give it another try.

Sled fired for a few seconds -quit, tried again & ran for about 3 minutes this time, then quit again. go to turn key - no gauge pod, try again - nothing.

So then I checked diagnostic codes - everything seemed within spec. #61 shows any current/old errors & the only one left in memory was #46 for my old ECU low voltage supply error.

Dielectric grease in as many relays as I could access - that 4th one closest to the engine is a pita to reach - so I left it alone. I don't even know what that one does.

1st relay is headlight, 3rd is fuel injection system relay, the other two relays are fan & load control, but I don't know which is which.

checked all fuses - good.

checked starter relay - good.

unplugged ECU just for sh!ts n giggles, plugged er back in - no go.

out comes hairdryer & I place it over the 4 relays.

BOOM - my sled catches fire. no wait, it didn't - damn

pod lights come up & so I start sled. well, it stayed running.

ride it around yard & shut down/start up several times. acts like everything is normal.

go figure.

So..........fingers are crossed and the wife & I are heading out tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!!!!

Man I love this sled!

:4STroke: :yam: :rules

You must have summer air trapped in the filter. You'll need to shake that out and refill it with Canadian winter air.

Any news on this?

Also, because of reading this post a few days ago, when this happened to me, I knew to turn around right away before is died on me.

So thanks to you, you allowed my sled to drive itself close to a road.

Code 46 is my favorite....

Good luck with with whatever you think is better. They all have problems. Doo, that is taking a big chance. My xtx is so far been awsome. If I had problems like you I would second guess as well, but really let us know what you buy and how things go for you. Good Luck!!!!

We put on 225 kms in some frigid temps yesterday. Sled started & ran fine all day long - so I figure it musta been some moisture in one of the relays.

Never saw a code so the stator musta been the issue all along. Glad we finally got that resolved.

yamahammer - you're lucky those stators are off backorder - get it to your dealer asap!! make sure they test it at idle & under load. Do a load test on your battery too. It may be one of the ones recalled. Get yourself a new one if it is.

Hope I can finally just ride this thing. Bought some jumper cables & gonna load up on relays now - just in case.

BLUEBALLER said:
We put on 225 kms in some frigid temps yesterday. Sled started & ran fine all day long - so I figure it musta been some moisture in one of the relays.

Never saw a code so the stator musta been the issue all along. Glad we finally got that resolved.

yamahammer - you're lucky those stators are off backorder - get it to your dealer asap!! make sure they test it at idle & under load. Do a load test on your battery too. It may be one of the ones recalled. Get yourself a new one if it is.

Hope I can finally just ride this thing. Bought some jumper cables & gonna load up on relays now - just in case.

Thats what im thinking of doing too. And whats funny is it was exactly how you descibed it. Battery first, then the dealer for testing, then blow dry the hell out of my relays!

BLUEBALLER said:
Well, it just keeps getting better & better. Picked up my sled last Thursday after it got a new front clip & battery(for code 46).

Wife & I took Friday off & decided to go on a sledding weekend 3.5 hours away. Check in to hotel, unload sleds and go for a rip.

An hour later - code 46 right in the middle of the lake. So, we proceed to make our way back to the hotel before the sled dies. Load it up on the trailer, shut it down, go to start it up again, and it doesn't even fart!

F%*K sakes!!!!!!!

Call a new dealer that is in the area and he offers to look at the sled after hours - it's now 6:30 pm on a Friday nite! Justin if you're reading this - THANK YOU!

Go back Saturday morning to find out the verdict.

He says everything checked out within spec. Started to swap ecu & rectifier/regulater with another nytro & no diff. Then he starts to check the stator output. all good, UNTIL he measures it under load, then sees it's only putting out 1/2 the output it should be!

Now the really good part - stators are backordered in Canada. Who the F&^K knows when they'll be in is anyones guess.

In case you can't tell, I'm kinda pissed that my sledding weekend was ruined by this so called "reliable" yamaha snowmobile. Total mileage for the weekend, under 100 kms. I was hoping for about 750.

So, it might be a few days, few weeks, few months, not too sure.

1 thing for sure is, my next sled will NOT be a yamaha. Over-reacting? Maybe, but the season is short enough to deal with this kinda crap.

Topends I can rebuild myself, unfortunately I can't widdle together a f*&ckin stator.

If anyone has a stator they'd be willing to part with - PM me.

Pssssstttt...

Remember when you were warned about overloading your stator?

If anyone else has a stator fail, your best bet is to have it rewound.
You will usually get it faster & at lower cost.
Plus they can add 10% to the capability of it, a definite plus!
(You have to request they add capability to it.)

Rockmeister said:
BLUEBALLER said:
Well, it just keeps getting better & better. Picked up my sled last Thursday after it got a new front clip & battery(for code 46).

Wife & I took Friday off & decided to go on a sledding weekend 3.5 hours away. Check in to hotel, unload sleds and go for a rip.

An hour later - code 46 right in the middle of the lake. So, we proceed to make our way back to the hotel before the sled dies. Load it up on the trailer, shut it down, go to start it up again, and it doesn't even fart!

F%*K sakes!!!!!!!

Call a new dealer that is in the area and he offers to look at the sled after hours - it's now 6:30 pm on a Friday nite! Justin if you're reading this - THANK YOU!

Go back Saturday morning to find out the verdict.

He says everything checked out within spec. Started to swap ecu & rectifier/regulater with another nytro & no diff. Then he starts to check the stator output. all good, UNTIL he measures it under load, then sees it's only putting out 1/2 the output it should be!

Now the really good part - stators are backordered in Canada. Who the F&^K knows when they'll be in is anyones guess.

In case you can't tell, I'm kinda pissed that my sledding weekend was ruined by this so called "reliable" yamaha snowmobile. Total mileage for the weekend, under 100 kms. I was hoping for about 750.

So, it might be a few days, few weeks, few months, not too sure.

1 thing for sure is, my next sled will NOT be a yamaha. Over-reacting? Maybe, but the season is short enough to deal with this kinda crap.

Topends I can rebuild myself, unfortunately I can't widdle together a f*&ckin stator.

If anyone has a stator they'd be willing to part with - PM me.

Pssssstttt...

Remember when you were warned about overloading your stator?

If anyone else has a stator fail, your best bet is to have it rewound.
You will usually get it faster & at lower cost.
Plus they can add 10% to the capability of it, a definite plus!
(You have to request they add capability to it.)

Psssst - I guess either you were sleeping or never got the memo. I sold that POS last year. Pay attention!!

I don't recall ever being warned of stator failure. Care to refresh my memory?

Oh yeah - in case you forgot, see below. LOL

Man, what bad luck you have had! Certainly understand the frustration as we all would feel the same way. Fortunately me and my buds have not had any problems, other than the normal wear of Hyfax, lower ball joints, and very minor issues. We ride hard and aggressive, and all of us came from the two stroke era (CATS/DOOS) and will never return. Statistically the Yamaha four=strokes rule in overall reliability, but they all break eventually. I just want to break less than the other guys! Hopefully you regain the confidence, or we will see you on the otherside. Carry the tools, oil, spark-plugs and a tow rope.......
:home:

Dang sorry to hear about all your problems, sounds like your sled has the most problems out of all..

Back