• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Smell of oil on long full out runs .

quebec#1

Expert
I notice if i run for any lenth of time on lakes and once i slow down i smell something like chaincase oil for a bit then it goes away . This only happens on long fast runs. Oil level seems ok and chaincase level ok. i see no leaks. I had the chaincase apart all seems ok.

i get the same thing happening on my rx. the oil gets hot on extended wide open runs and gear oil smells so nice you cant help but notice it. make sure the chain is finger tight and backed off one quarter turn.

How about the yamaha chaincase oil ? I havent seen synthetic any place on the bottle !
Last year i used shell synthetic and had no smell. Going to change to the synthetic stuff.

I smell it on mine also. 06 Attak. Only on long high speed runs of 90+. Chaincase oil is never low. I use synthetic.

same hear....i have used up to 1/2 pint over 500 miles when going hard/wot on a run. even noticing that i have been shooting flames out the back exhaust when slowing down as well. looks pretty cool.

wileya said:
same hear....i have used up to 1/2 pint over 500 miles when going hard/wot on a run. even noticing that i have been shooting flames out the back exhaust when slowing down as well. looks pretty cool.

Sounds like you need exhaust donuts.

dirkdiggler said:
wileya said:

Sounds like you need exhaust donuts.

i thought this to till i put my hands over the exhaust and she shuts down right away. have also read that flames out the back over a good long haul is common.

oil

yamaha has a updated chaincase gasket for 06-07 or 08 to get rid of small seapage of oil on cain case. call dealer and ask' there was a bullitin on this and it should be in the later service manuals.

mine is an 09,i had a track replaced on warranty and the dealer didnt put enough oil in it,i had no smell before the track swap,went for the 1st ride with new track and smelled it right away,i had encountered that with my warrior a cpl years back when i had replaced the gear oil,it worked twice for me just by adding oil,wish someone could try it for themselves to see if it will go away

Simply chain case venting. Change every 1500,2000 mi with synthetic.

Back