• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow Goer magizine

ishpeming fan

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 ZR RR 8000
Wow did they bash the new Viper in the latest comparo of the 600 class trail sleds. They must of gotten A lemon I guess. Very disapointing write up to be sure.

I didnt know they brought back a 440 cc sled-45 mph tops in fresh snow,critiqued one test rider before clarifying,once we ran some tracks down it did hit 67 mph,but it was still kind of a slug to get anything over 50 mph at altitude-the engine might arguably have the weakest feel of the three when pulling out of corner from 0-30 mph.

Yup read that article.they didn't have any good to say

My Vectors will hit 70 mph in beginner mode. WTF? The only Snowmobile magazine I ever purchased is Snow Tech. But of course lately it has been disappointing. Not their fault. It's because there is no good news about Yamaha!

Last edited:
Wow, I feel like I have been dropped into an alternate universe; that doesn't sound like any Viper I have ever ridden.

I would also disagree with most of the article. Is it sluggish to hit top speed above 80 MPH, yeah.... that's about it. Oh, and the damn tuners! Mine came off before it even hit the snow. Once again, its NOT a sidewinder. I've ridden my buddies Sidewinder LTX DX 137 with a 280 tune and its stupid quick, no comparison to the viper speed wise but two different sleds for a reason.

Wow, they had bad gas, or a bad unit for some reason. All of my buddies that come from a 600 Etec over to borrow my Viper for a day, say the instant power is amazing compared to their 2-stroke.

Top end is similar if not lower, but corner to corner or launching approaches was a hoot, as they knew they didn't have to wait for the Viper to spool up like their 600. This article is wacked. Or altitude really did kill that machine.

Altitude doesn't kill my Apex as much as it trashed the 600 Etec's in our group, even with clutching for altitude. That's not a fair comparison, but totally true.

I would also disagree with most of the article. Is it sluggish to hit top speed above 80 MPH, yeah.... that's about it. Oh, and the damn tuners! Mine came off before it even hit the snow. Once again, its NOT a sidewinder. I've ridden my buddies Sidewinder LTX DX 137 with a 280 tune and its stupid quick, no comparison to the viper speed wise but two different sleds for a reason.
I still ride my Viper XTX, but I have a Sidewinder LTX. I think my stock Sidewinder is "stupid quick" and more power than I could ever want; it is fun to ride and provides an adrenaline rush between every set of corners, but my Viper XTX is still a blast to ride. No, it doesn't have the top end, and the acceleration is not the same, but it is still a sled that lifts its skis and throws me back in the seat when I pin the throttle.

I have been reading snowmobile reviews in magazines for years, and I have never seen a review that harsh or critical. For the most part, it seems like the magazines soft-pedal any sled's faults because they realize that there are brand-loyal readers out there, and they realize that the big 4 manufacturers all need to keep selling sleds, or they will be out of business, and there won't be anyone left to read their magazine. Magazines just don't do what that article did to Yamaha. It's bad "politics" and it's bad for "business."

Magazines just don't do what that article did to Yamaha. It's bad "politics" and it's bad for "business."

We all joke about the advertiser bias of these "rags" and how no journalist would do that. Keep in mind, they went out of their way to say some riders in the group, or one rider, but never their test rider, or their opinion, as not to put blame on themselves. But they still reported it.

No publication would do that, unless they knew there would be no Yamaha snowmobiles around to defend after this model year? Was that sand in the wound?

Last edited:
I think it’s funny that the Viper made it on the cover of the magazine. They must have felt bad for printing such a harsh article.

Back