• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow Goer Phazer review

DaveRX1

Expert
The January issue of Snow Goer just arrived. Their review of the Phazer fx was............not so good. The poor wind protection was expected, but the gripes about severe engine vibration at high rpm and weak rear shock rebound dampning were not. I have only ridden my FX on the lawn, but the vibes feel minimal.

The sled they tested MUST have been the spring prototype. Hopefully the production sleds do not have these problems.

i wouldnt worry about it...i think that they probably tested one of the prototypes like you say because i didnt nowtice it at all.

I drove mine around for about an hour and I didnt notice anything.... Remember those sleds that the Mags rode were NOT production models.

I have over a 100 miles on my mtn lite and feel at the most just a hint of vibe. I would say a stock 600 vibrates way more than the phazer.

welterracer said:
DOnt listen to that rag of a mag, sno goer..

I agree. Though they've given yamaha awards for sled of the year the past two years they regularly dog on 4 strokes. I have a subscription, but they'd be the last mag I'd take advice from when selecting a sled.

you cant listen to any of the mags when it comes to ride, handling, power or quality..

alot of those guys ride less than we do a year.. and dont have the time to tinker with suspension or clutching adjustments..

if you are so worried why not drive down here to Wausau WI and I will let you take a few laps....just to ease your mind. Don't listen to the hype, there is nothing wrong.

Engine vibration was discussed early and the user BV1 posted the below based on actually riding his sled in Thompson, MB after an early snow fall. ;)!
BV1 said:
I will share my thoughts after I rode the Phazer the first time for a 45 minute stretch, these are the things that crossed my mind.

1) Bottom end is more like a 600-700, it really rips when you get traction.

2) The front ski stance appears to be really wide.

3) Handling, seat and feel, feels just like the YZ250F, really. Its funny, Litre1000... lots of body roll, dont compare this to your car. I am sure when you ride a bike you don't complain about body roll too... but the only reason you'd have the "body rolling" on a bike is because you weren't leaning into the corners. The suspension is tight, no complaints about body roll, its very comparable to the rev chassis. As for the seat, I didn't find it hard or uncomfortable. It didnt even cross my mind, but if a percentage of the riders found it so, I am sure there would be gel seats out soon enough anways.

Personally, I find the seat issue like... well put it like this... imagine if at the starting gate of a MotoX race, all the bikes are lined up and one racer says to the other, "Man my seat is really chaffing me!"

This machine is suppose to be crossover to sledding from a bike. It was targeted at a younger audience. Its not Grandpa's touring mobile. That said I bought the GT because I waned all the fun the Phazer has to offer in the "fun" department, but I still want the windshield and comfort if I do want to go out for a day on the trails.

4) The sound is cool, sounds like 2 cylinders fire in rapid succession, followed by a 3 stroke delay, due to the firing order. Made it sound different, but that sound combined with the torque enhancing system and the bottom end of a 4 stroke, brought a grin to my face. No it doesn't sound anything like a 600 2 stroke Twin with a straight pipe on it, at 8000 RPM. This machine rarely even hits its redline simply because it doesnt need to be there to get you where you want to go.

5) I love the digital gauges! They look awesome and offer digital RPM, speed, variable Thumb + grip warmers along with an accurate fuel display. Combine that with electric start and reverse... on one of Yamaha's least expensive sleds. Find that from another manufacture.

6) The break-in smell... is really wierd. Kinda sweet, but not coolant sweet, just wierd. New machine smell, you only get it once :)

I never remembered noticing or currently notice a vibration issue. Frick, you complain about vibration then your like I can't wait until they come out with the 450F version, uhhh yeah because increasing cylinder displacement to a 900 Twin will solve any vibration issues!? Go ride a Fusion 900 if you want Vibration.

Isn't that just like that rag.....first give it sled of the year,and then bash it for the rest of the year.I would wait and draw my own conclusions after i rode it a while and had it well broke in.....remember these editors are just other people with an opinion.

Back