• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

So what are you guys doing?

mytro

Expert
2009 Nytro, 1700 miles sled is mint and ball joints are getting sloppy.

Do I ride it wondering if it will fire me into to tree?

Spend $400.00 every 500 miles?

Are these things even tight when they are new?

Do they go to crap like our sliders and hold up for the last 20%?

Let me know what you guys are doing....

No warranty here...

Thanks

My '08 lower ball joints were replaced under warranty at the end of the first season(3100 miles). I currently have 5500 miles on the replacement lower ball joints. They have maybe 1/16" of vertical play in them, wearing MUCH better than the originals. The upper ball joints are original with 8600 miles on them. I will replace them at the end of the season for piece of mind.

mytro said:
No one is having any issues?????

Both mine and my brothers 09's were getting sloppy by 500 miles and are only getting worse now they they are up to 2000 miles. I was planning on going to the dealer and working them over for warranty once they got to the point where I felt they were unsafe.

I take them out and put new ones in when I deem required.
New ones for each riding season seems about right for me.
I avoid the dealer as much as possible.
Seems to work out cheaper for me when I do jobs myself.

mach9 said:

Safe to say a set of four would run you around $350-$400, the new lowers are enough to tighten them up? the sockets are not worn?

Thanks

Do your best to find a less expensive parts supplier is all I can suggest.

Not sure how the 2010 lowers are holding up??
Yam updated them again for the 2010 season.
Made easier to change from my understanding.
But more pieces and $$.

2011 units now on the horizon.
Would there be even a 4th update on these lowers...
Time will tell.

mach9 said:

I agree 100%

I have replaced them on my 08 Nytro at 2200km-completely shot. Sled at 3600km now with a little bit of play. 08 Phazer was replaced at 800km. Brothers 09 XTX was completely changed out at 2000km-they were really poor. He has 2600km on it now-they seem ok.

GUYS- this is not an area you should try to save money in. If they are slopped-change them. If you cant afford to change these OEM crap all the time sell the sled.

re

I agree. Change the shocks, springs, skis, slides, balljoints, windshield, and then tell ourselves we ride the best sled. Is anyone else getting tired of this?

Re: re

bh0396 said:
I agree. Change the shocks, springs, skis, slides, balljoints, windshield, and then tell ourselves we ride the best sled. Is anyone else getting tired of this?
Im a Yamaha Loyalist, all my new sleds have been Yamaha, and I have to agree with you.
These issues are understandable for a new model, but when Yamaha refuses to correct them for the next model year, its extremely dissappointing.

Re: re

bh0396 said:

YUP

re

I love the fit and finish of my Yamaha and also love the low end power but I can rebuild a two stroke three times for the money it costs to truly set these sleds up to rip. As for the oil usage, I spend 150 per year on an oil change for two thousand miles of riding. I can buy four thousand miles worth of doo oil for the same money. I'm done venting and will ride my new apex after I mortgage the house or sell a kidney but it had better be the answer or I will be leaving and I don't think I will be alone.

I could not agree more withwhat you guys are saying! I like everyone else has put a ton of money and time to get this sled to handle and perform properly.
Four years ago I made switch from cat. I had become tired of dumping gallons of oil and fuel into my 700 crossfire. But you know what? I changes slides once in two years and 4200 miles! Thats it! Of course I played withclutching and stuff like that, but never left me stranded!
I do really love my Nytro but it has 8000km and have 3 more weekends to ride . What do I do now ? Ride it til it blows? Buy a new sled and start over again?
I've never owned a doo. But looked over 1200 today. Maybe I should go that route, I'm buying doo parts now to make my sled usable. Diehard Yamahaulers, I respect your views but No Way should anyone have to fight to make aquestionable design workproperly. I think its only a matter of cost that prevents me from going yellow or green. Sorry guys lets be realistic.
Ten years ago the srx was a rocket and fit and finish was far ahead of anything else. But these sleds were a decade behind doo, cat , and pol in suspensions. Nothing has changed! Like i've said I've never owned a doo, but someone on an Apex site said recently that doo was cutting edge and Yamaha was only cutting! :die

Back